Various Orioles related FanGraphs articles

ArtVanDelay

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What I find odd is the guy that picked Machado for MVP and Mancini for ROY still has the O's missing the playoffs.  Actually, all five that pick Machado for MVP don't think the O's will make the playoffs.

I can see Manny putting up an MVP-quality season and us still missing the playoffs, because...the pitching.

But I can't really see Manny actually winning the award unless he helps lead the O's to the division title, because... Trout. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I can see Manny putting up an MVP-quality season and us still missing the playoffs, because...the pitching.

But I can't really see Manny actually winning the award unless he helps lead the O's to the division title, because... Trout. 

Trout's team has pitching woes too.   IMO, way  more than ours.

Ricky Nolasco is their Opening Day starter.

Ricky.   Nolasco.

That's brutal.

Garrett Richards is their #2 and he is trying to avoid TJ surgery by having his own stem cells injected into his elbow, something no baseball player has ever tried before.

Tropeano and Heaney both on the shelf for the year with TJ surgery.

29 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Trout's team has pitching woes too.   IMO, way  more than ours.

Ricky Nolasco is their Opening Day starter.

Ricky.   Nolasco.

That's brutal.

Garrett Richards is their #2 and he is trying to avoid TJ surgery by having his own stem cells injected into his elbow, something no baseball player has ever tried before.

Tropeano and Heaney both on the shelf for the year with TJ surgery.

Yeah. I expect the Angels to be mostly bad again. My point is that if you don't get the boost of playoffs in your MVP candidacy, you probably have to be better than Trout head to head. And he is simply the best. At least he has been so far. 

Just now, Spy Fox said:

Yeah. I expect the Angels to be mostly bad again. My point is that if you don't get the boost of playoffs in your MVP candidacy, you probably have to be better than Trout head to head. And he is simply the best. At least he has been so far. 

Bryce Harper was the best in the NL.

Until he wasn't last year.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Bryce Harper was the best in the NL.

Until he wasn't last year.

Harper has had one year leading the NL in WAR.    Trout's done it five years in a row.    Not saying Manny couldn't beat him, but Trout's set a ridiculously high bar.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not entirely Orioles-related but mentions the use of Britton last year, which this article thinks was suboptimal.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/goose-egg-new-save-stat-relief-pitchers/?ex_cid=538fb

Only two of the top 40 relief seasons have come in the past 10 years. You can be literally almost perfect — as Britton and his 0.54 ERA were last year — and yet still not provide as much value as pitchers like Gossage did because you didn’t have enough volume in high-leverage situations.

On 4/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, OrioleDog said:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mark-trumbo-on-launch-angles/

However much it may seem like some of our hitters are "dumb" hackers, here's another of many pieces on Trumbo where he's shown me enough as a smart ballplayer that I have some faith in his process, and like him as a Mancini mentor.

Trumbo has come off as being informed before.

Free Hyun Soo Kim!

Of course, Baltimore faced left-handed pitchers in three of those four games. Six of the eight games in which Kim hasn’t appeared as a starter were against left-handers. The Orioles are seemingly convinced that Kim is incapable of playing against left-handed pitching. This strikes me as odd. In his nine full seasons with the Doosan Bears in the Korean Baseball Organization, Kim played in 96.7% of his team’s regular season games — 1,130 out of a possible 1,168 games. In those nine seasons, he tallied a .406 OBP. Now, I don’t claim to be a KBO expert, but this seems like a promising indication of Kim’s ability to handle the duties of a full-time role.

This isn’t just hearsay. While there doesn’t seem to be a publicly available record of Kim’s career splits in the KBO, the website Statiz (graciously translated for me by Hardball Times writer Sung-Min Kim) has at least tracked such splits since 2014. The numbers there indicate that, in 2014 and 2015, Kim hit .353/.438/.503 in 372 plate appearances against left-handed pitching. That’s very, very good!!! Like, good enough that it should have bought him more than 23 measly PA against lefties here stateside last season.

It's interesting, early in the offseason BB-ref had some KBO year-by-year splits, and then they disappeared.    I thought I posted them here at one point this offseason.   My recollection is that Kim's splits were poor his first two years for which splits were available, and very good after that.   

Archived