Stan The Fan: Buzz Surrounding Matt Wieters And Orioles Is All Wrong

PressBoxOnline

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone else have their anti-virus go off?

Not mine.

Good article and Stan is on the mark here. Boras/Wieters gambled and not they are probably going to pay the price this off season. Wieters will be lucky to get a Castro deal but someone like the Angels, Nats or Rockies will probably end up giving him a 2 or 3yr deal, but it's going to be for a lot less money than Wieters was expecting.

It would be a ridiculous waste of resources for the Orioles to sign Wieters at this point, regardless of how far his asking price has come down now. His .716 career OPS against RHPs doesn't really make an expensive platoon with Castillo seem all that appealing and neither hits well enough to justify playing Trumbo in the field more than once or twice a week instead of letting him take the lion's share of his ABs at DH.

Go after Hammel instead if there's money left to spend, and let Miley and Ubaldo duke it out in ST for the 5th rotation spot with the loser starting the year in the bullpen as the swingman.

14 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It would be a ridiculous waste of resources for the Orioles to sign Wieters at this point, regardless of how far his asking price has come down now. His .716 career OPS against RHPs doesn't really make an expensive platoon with Castillo seem all that appealing and neither hits well enough to justify playing Trumbo in the field more than once or twice a week instead of letting him take the lion's share of his ABs at DH.

Go after Hammel instead if there's money left to spend, and let Miley and Ubaldo duke it out in ST for the 5th rotation spot with the loser starting the year in the bullpen as the swingman.

I don't think signing Wieters would be for a strict platoon at catcher only.  I think, if the Orioles were to go that way, both Wieters and Castillo would play vs. LHP - one at C and one at DH.  They would split time at C vs. RHP.  Both would end up with a MLB starting catcher's worth of plate appearances, while also getting adequate rest from the rigors of catching.  Yes, I'd rather sign a good RH-hitting right fielder with a good glove for less money, but the chances of that happening seem to be decreasing by the day.  One advantage of Wieters would be that there would be room for Tavarez as a late-inning defensive replacement/PR type, since Joseph could be optioned.  A lot depends on how far the price comes down for Wieters, and whether a solid RH-hitting RF option presents itself.

52 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Well said!

So this would be a creative way to save a roster spot.  You could keep Tavarez and still have an extra roster spot to spare for Rickard (or Jennings/Bourjos/Pagan if we want to go that route), or Mancini.  Or dump Tavarez if he fails to impress in ST and keep both Rickard and Mancini.  

Still, I'm not sure Wieters price comes down enough to make it worthwhile.  But I'm intrigued.  If we can get Wieters at $6m or less AAV -- multi-year deal or not -- I'd do it.  

4 hours ago, Number5 said:

I don't think signing Wieters would be for a strict platoon at catcher only.  I think, if the Orioles were to go that way, both Wieters and Castillo would play vs. LHP - one at C and one at DH.  They would split time at C vs. RHP.  Both would end up with a MLB starting catcher's worth of plate appearances, while also getting adequate rest from the rigors of catching.  Yes, I'd rather sign a good RH-hitting right fielder with a good glove for less money, but the chances of that happening seem to be decreasing by the day.  One advantage of Wieters would be that there would be room for Tavarez as a late-inning defensive replacement/PR type, since Joseph could be optioned.  A lot depends on how far the price comes down for Wieters, and whether a solid RH-hitting RF option presents itself.

If you play both catchers in the same game and Castillo gets hurt, then you would lose the DH because the pitcher would bat (or multiple pinchhitters)

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If you play both catchers in the same game and Castillo gets hurt, then you would lose the DH because the pitcher would bat (or multiple pinchhitters)

Yeah, so?  Not like that has a high likelihood.  Next day, someone else is up from Norfolk.  Potential reward far exceeds that slight risk, if a better alternative can't be found.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, so?  Not like that has a high likelihood.  Next day, someone else is up from Norfolk.  Potential reward far exceeds that slight risk, if a better alternative can't be found.

Doubt Buck would do it.  But maybe so.  I would rather fill another need if there is budget. 

39 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Besides there's always Flash. That'd be a hoot to see.

Archived