Why didn't Dan offer Vance Worley more?

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If DD spent more money for Woley, then some of the posters would be taking DD to task for over-paying.

I liked Worley.  The good thing about Worley is he pitched his best when we needed him the most.  Early in the season.  Later on in the year he struggled and lost innings to Hunter and then to an expanded roster in September.  The stats might not show it all but he was well worth it last year just to hold things down when we couldn't make it through 8-9 IP every game.  

Worley is replaceable.  DD has had some February surprises.  Hammel maybe?

50 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think so too.  DD always seems to get his guy, even if it's seasons later.  De La Rosa could long relieve, be a LOOGY, be a matchup 2nd LH SP, and he's a GB machine.  From his viewpoint, we're a team with a shaky back end of the rotation and a great IF defense.  Usually our park doesn't make sense for P's to come here that are trying to build their value back up, but our IF defense would help him.  

LHB slashed .297/.378/.471/.849 off him last year. Not sure that screams out LOOGY or any kind of matchup guy. BTW, he was actually worse away from Coors Stadium last year. I don't see him being a great fit here unless he gets desperate and want to come real cheaply.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

LHB slashed .297/.378/.471/.849 off him last year. Not sure that screams out LOOGY or any kind of matchup guy. BTW, he as actually worse away from Coors Stadium last year. I don't see him being a great fit here unless he gets desperate and want to come real cheaply.

He looked really good against us when he battled Bundy.  He's got good stuff.  I'd take him in the Worley role from last year.  Low risk deal obviously.  

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He looked really good against us when he battled Bundy.  He's got good stuff.  I'd take him in the Worley role from last year.  Low risk deal obviously.  

I remember Gallardo looking good a few starts last year as well. I just see a 36-year old guy who may be in his death throws as a productive major league pitcher. If they can get him cheap enough and he's going to fill the long reliever role then I guess i don't have an issue with him, but he has several red flags that make me think that his conversion to reliever might not be that easy.

• 3 months later...

Archived