I think this is how it shakes out.

There are three players i truely love in this draft. Alvarez, TBeck, and Hosmer. I would be very happy with any of those three. I would really hope we still consider Hosmer even with the demands. I think he has the best bat of the last ten years. I think Greg is also very high on him. I really really hope we consider Hosmer and dont let the money issues stand in the way.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are three players i truely love in this draft. Alvarez, TBeck, and Hosmer. I would be very happy with any of those three. I would really hope we still consider Hosmer even with the demands. I think he has the best bat of the last ten years. I think Greg is also very high on him. I really really hope we consider Hosmer and dont let the money issues stand in the way.

True, I like Hosmer an awful lot. He could bust, there is always that chance, but I think he'll be special.

I'll be updating my personal top players list shortly... may or may not surprise people. :)

I think it is just a matter of a couple well informed people analyzing data from different publications and trying to bounce their inferences off the other well informed people. There is taking raw, unbiased data from scouting and preparing ranking lists based on that, and then there is taking that data and applying it based on team needs, philosophies, and draft position and coming up with scenarios. We have a good group of knowledgeable people here that are good at interpreting that info, but with any interpretation there are going to be discrepancies. This is where our debates come from. You are right in the sense that for the most part, they are opinions, but where the opinions are based are on pre-professional production.

You are dead on that not many of these players will ever become major leaguers, the hard part is depicting from what they have shown at a pre-professional level which of them is most likely to develop into a solid pro at higher levels. It is all a big guessing game, but that is how overall scouting reports are made, from large groups of scouts and analysis compared against each other and a mean decision taken from that. It's not that any of us think we are 100% correct, we are just trying to compare our opinions against each others to come up with an overall consensus.

For example, if we had numerical values (out of 100) assigned to our opinions, and I thought Posey was a 90 player, and Stotle thought he was a 100 player, we together would have him rated at a 95. This on a much larger scale is how these things come about. What we have on this site is basically how places like baseball america get started, and after a while it gets so big that people start to listen to their opinions when making their own decisions.

I must spread more rep first... :mad::D

Very well said sir. My stated goal at MLB-Draft.com and here has been and will remain to gather as close to a consensus opinion as possible to better educate/inform the readers. Yourself, Stotle, rhall, Markpolis, Jammer7 and others have various perspectives, making for interesting debates and discussions. That's part what this forum is all about. :)

I must spread more rep first... :mad::D

Very well said sir. My stated goal at MLB-Draft.com and here has been and will remain to gather as close to a consensus opinion as possible to better educate/inform the readers. Yourself, Stotle, rhall, Markpolis, Jammer7 and others have various perspectives, making for interesting debates and discussions. That's part what this forum is all about. :)

Thanks buddy! And you do a fantastic job at that, but half of the fun in this line of work or hobby, or whatever you want to call it, is having the other people to discuss with, that's why I've been so addicted to this forum at least. I don't know how I would kill the hours a day I do now without you guys. :)

Thanks buddy! And you do a fantastic job at that, but half of the fun in this line of work or hobby, or whatever you want to call it, is having the other people to discuss with, that's why I've been so addicted to this forum at least. I don't know how I would kill the hours a day I do now without you guys. :)

(Immitating the scene at the Governor office in Blazing Saddles, where Mel Brooks is the Gov)

Harumph! Harumph! Harumph! :D;)

I think it is just a matter of a couple well informed people analyzing data from different publications and trying to bounce their inferences off the other well informed people. There is taking raw, unbiased data from scouting and preparing ranking lists based on that, and then there is taking that data and applying it based on team needs, philosophies, and draft position and coming up with scenarios. We have a good group of knowledgeable people here that are good at interpreting that info, but with any interpretation there are going to be discrepancies. This is where our debates come from. You are right in the sense that for the most part, they are opinions, but where the opinions are based are on pre-professional production.

You are dead on that not many of these players will ever become major leaguers, the hard part is depicting from what they have shown at a pre-professional level which of them is most likely to develop into a solid pro at higher levels. It is all a big guessing game, but that is how overall scouting reports are made, from large groups of scouts and analysis compared against each other and a mean decision taken from that. It's not that any of us think we are 100% correct, we are just trying to compare our opinions against each others to come up with an overall consensus.

For example, if we had numerical values (out of 100) assigned to our opinions, and I thought Posey was a 90 player, and Stotle thought he was a 100 player, we together would have him rated at a 95. This on a much larger scale is how these things come about. What we have on this site is basically how places like baseball america get started, and after a while it gets so big that people start to listen to their opinions when making their own decisions.

Eh, it just seems like a bit too much vitriol is spread and the conversation does not move forward. I like conversation and a meeting of minds. Bickering is boring though.

Archived