Russell's (NOT) Coming.

weams

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it couch money when payroll has been climbing steadily and the team has taken on the practice of selling draft picks?  I think Dan is leaving a lot of money for in-season additions.  Saving a million could make a difference down the road.

Post of the day. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

He may be that type of player unless you can possibly keep his playing time in check.  For a backup catcher with very little chance of becoming a stater on another ball club, the Orioles could possibly buy out his arbitration years for a 3/$7 Million.  If he hits well enough to be labelled a starter those $$$ would not make him untradable.  If he know he is apt to only be a backup, I doubt he signs.  We payed more than that AAV for a partial year of Nick Hundley when Wieters went out.

Why in the world would a team EVER commit to Caleb Joseph. EVER. 

I think it's completely unpredictable what lies in store for  Caleb.    He could OPS .700 and end the year catching a lot, or he could spend most of the year at Norfolk if things don't go his way.   I don't think last year reflects his true talent, but you never know.    It's not like he has a big margin of error.   I'm rooting for the guy.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think it's completely unpredictable what lies in store for  Caleb.    He could OPS .700 and end the year catching a lot, or he could spend most of the year at Norfolk if things don't go his way.   I don't think last year reflects his true talent, but you never know.    It's not like he has a big margin of error.   I'm rooting for the guy.  

You think he could have a career year with the bat?

Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting.

That would have to occur within a sporadic 50 games.  He will never be in a situation like when Wieters went down afraid. And for that, I respected him. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Interesting.

He had a .693 OPS in 2015, so I don't think .700 is out of the question as an upside.   I'm not saying it's the most likely outcome, just that it could happen.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While it is within the realm of reason I do not think it is a worthwhile projection.

I'm not even sure what that means.   PECOTA does a thing where they give a range of projections (10th percentile, etc.) for It would be interesting to know where a .700 OPS falls for Joseph, if anywhere.   

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not even sure what that means.   PECOTA does a thing where they give a range of projections (10th percentile, etc.) for It would be interesting to know where a .700 OPS falls for Joseph, if anywhere.   

While it is something that could happen the chances are very slight.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

According to Roch, immediately before the hearing, the O's offered Caleb Joseph $800 k plus incentives, and he turned it down.http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/orioles-reach-agreement-with-gausman.html

I guess "file and trial" really was BS.    I bet we settle with Brach.    

Was probably something unreasonable like 50K per RBI.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, Frobby said:

I became a BP member, pretty much just so I could answer this question.    Joseph's 90th percentile projection is .734, and his 80th percentile projection is .708.    So, PECOTA thinks Joseph's chances of exceeding .700 OPS are >20%.  

On 2/5/2017 at 1:05 PM, Frobby said:

According to Roch, immediately before the hearing, the O's offered Caleb Joseph $800 k plus incentives, and he turned it down.http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/orioles-reach-agreement-with-gausman.html

I guess "file and trial" really was BS.    I bet we settle with Brach.    

I think they had offered that before he filed as well. 

Archived