Orioles Met with Bourn's Agent (from Roch)

Rene88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I think most of us agree that he is the best option available at this point or no?

Now that Jennings is off the table -- yeah Bourn pretty much is.  Peter Bourjos I consider to be on par with him except that he is right handed.

Here's hoping if he is signed that he comes anywhere close to his production for the Orioles last year.

15 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I am not a fan of signing Bourn unless it's a minor league contract. I really don't see him as anything great at this point. His style sparked the team some last year because we were void of anything resembling speed and solid defense in the OF. As some have noted, I'd rather take a chance on Jennings or someone to bat against LHP. If we're going to go with a lefty reserve OF, I'd rather go with   Tavarez to see what he can do. 

He'd be signed to be the 5th OF, 12th position player and possibly the 25th guy on the roster. I'm not expecting greatness, but for a team that is in win now mode, we don't have the luxury of strictly relying on a rule 5 guy to fill that role. 

Go with a vet. Every game really counts. Bourn is a known quantity defensively. Can steal a base. Can hunt. 

Who knows how Tavares adapts to hitting and fielding at the MLB level. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He'd be signed to be the 5th OF, 12th position player and possibly the 25th guy on the roster. I'm not expecting greatness, but for a team that is in win now mode, we don't have the luxury of strictly relying on a rule 5 guy to fill that role. 

Go with a vet. Every game really counts. Bourn is a known quantity defensively. Can steal a base. Can hunt. 

Who knows how Tavares adapts to hitting and fielding at the MLB level. 

Just curious... if we sign Bourn (or go with Tavarez, for that matter), who will be starting at LF, RF, and DH vs. LHP.  I see Trumbo at either RF or DH in that scenario, and am guessing you would have Rickard as the 11th position player in either LF or RF, but who is the third guy?  Smith certainly can't start vs. LHP, and both Bourn and Tavarez are left handed hitters.  Do you plan on playing Kim everyday and have him sink or swim vs. LHP?  What happens if he does poorly vs. LHP?  What other option would you have?  You say a team in win-now mode doesn't have the luxury of relying on a rule 5 guy in a back-up role.  How can you rely on Kim to start vs. LHP?  That seems very risky to me.  As things stand now, it would seem that the Orioles would need to either take Mancini north to DH vs. LHP, or sign or trade for another right-handed bat, preferably an outfielder with a glove.  Going with Rickard and Mancini seems risky, too, but at least they would have the platoon advantage vs. LHP.  The other rule 5 guy, Santander, will undoubtedly start the season on the DL, but he represents some possible insurance to be plugged in should either Rickard or Mancini fail to produce.  Hey, I like Bourn... I just don't think he is the best fit for the team's needs right now.

3 hours ago, weams said:

Just me. I still think it could be. Just me.

This makes a ton of sense and you have been consistent on this sir. I am very curious what we get (CG or otherwise). You know how I feel-trade with the Nats. I think you could get a nice LT prize from them for Brach (problem is, O's looking for return NOW I do understand, but you can do both:).

I agree with you, I think it could still happen. Do you think the Arb case impacts the timeline?

We don't need Bourn to be a stud or even a starter. But what he brings to us is very useful as a defensive replacement, pinch runner, spot starter, injury fill-in, or change of pace. I liked what he brought last year, and even as a run down version of what he was, he is useful to us and provides a dimension to our team that we don't have.  

Just now, clapdiddy said:

I would guess it depends on who the prospects are.

I do not consider someone who may make a meaningful contribution this season to be a prospect. You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows in Baltimore this season. 

Archived