Adam Jones and Defense

weams

3 hours ago, pastorfan said:

No, I don't think the guys he mentioned will care one bit that he pointed out their weaknesses. I'm sure if one of them talked about the need for more "plate discipline," and used Jones as an example, he would not mind :)

That's because another player wouldn't hold Adam's plate discipline against him. Wouldn't use him as an example. Sure he chases a lot of sliders but being aggressive is what has made him the hitter he is.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, scOtt said:

That's because another player wouldn't hold Adam's plate discipline against him. Wouldn't use him as an example. Sure he chases a lot of sliders but being aggressive is what has made him the hitter he is.

Plus in any discussion about plate discipline, only Kim would be talking and that would be in Korean so it wouldn't bug Jones much. 

3 hours ago, scOtt said:

Not sure I understand any of the logic here. You can be aggressive and still have plate discipline. I hardly think every hitter with plate discipline is "passive."

10 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Not sure I understand any of the logic here. You can be aggressive and still have plate discipline. I hardly think every hitter with plate discipline is "passive."

Al lot are. Or at least, are accused of being. For instance, Joey Votto. Now, big power and steroids gets you walked a lot.  Which many people view as plate discipline. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

My issue is that Adam needs to recognize that he didn't have a good year defensively himself.   Hopefully it was injury related and he'll be better this year.   That's the first thing he should worry about.     Then he can worry about his teammates.   

For once your off-base here.  Worrying is not going to erase his aging process or the gradual decline of his skills -- both chasing fly-balls and hitting sliders.  His quotes suggest to me that he's open to listening to re-positioning suggestions and that he understands that the Oriole approach of putting guys whose only talent is hitting into the outfield isn't going to produce fielding highlight film. He's sounding reasonable and accommodating to me.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Al lot are. Or at least, are accused of being. For instance, Joey Votto. Now, big power and steroids gets you walked a lot.  Which many people view as plate discipline. 

Chris Davis was a "poster" child for passive last year to my memory. I think he took strike three right over the plate quite a few times.

16 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I don't think they're passive either. It's just two different types of hitters. Kim is willing to see pitches, work the count. Adam looks for a pitch to put in play. Both approaches work. There's no reason for either type to try to become the other type.

On 2/3/2017 at 8:33 AM, webbrick2010 said:

I loved what he said... I've been saying it for two years

We need to get younger faster and more athletic... I posted this at least two years ago

I don't think AJ is happy with DD offseason... he knows a beer league softball lineup is not going to cut it.

We are about to go into the season without a single plus defender in the OF..... again

Yep - and that includes Adam. If I were Trumbo or Kim/Rickard, I would find these remarks not only insulting, but somewhat hypocritical. This isn't smart and it doesn't help those around you - morale-wise or in any possible way. Is Trumbo supposed to run faster now?  

You can't just pop off and give your opinion and say "I'm an outspoken guy... and I'm not talking down about Trumbo and Kim. And I'm not the boss, but..." and then go onto talk like the boss and run down Trumbo and Kim. Whatever.

I think we all agree that a better defensive outfield would be preferable. He's stating the obvious. And that, for me, would include moving Adam to left as quickly as possible. 

On 2/3/2017 at 3:39 PM, scOtt said:

The hitter "he is" has had a LOT of really sad at-bats in very important situations over the years. (I'm sounding like I don't like Adam - I do! I just don't like about half of what he says in the media.)

1 hour ago, Bradysburns said:

The hitter "he is" has had a LOT of really sad at-bats in very important situations over the years. (I'm sounding like I don't like Adam - I do! I just don't like about half of what he says in the media.)

Jones is an all-time Oriole great.  Our best acquisition since Frank. This town has loved him since he joined the team. However, he is starting to burn some bridges with his public remarks.  These things, he's saying can't sit well, with a lot of his team mates, although, silently, those other than Trumbo, Kim, Smith and Rickard, probably agree with him.  Those four guys probably now look at him as a Judas.  I do feel, that Captain Buck, will smooth things out this Spring.  He's just the man for the job.

10 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Jones is an all-time Oriole great.  Our best acquisition since Frank. This town has loved him since he joined the team. However, he is starting to burn some bridges with his public remarks.  These things, he's saying can't sit well, with a lot of his team mates, although, silently, those other than Trumbo, Kim, Smith and Rickard, probably agree with him.  Those four guys probably now look at him as a Judas.  I do feel, that Captain Buck, will smooth things out this Spring.  He's just the man for the job.

I really hope Mark Trumbo is not delusional enough to believe he's a good defender in the outfield. He's probably well aware he isn't. 

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

I really hope Mark Trumbo is not delusional enough to believe he's a good defender in the outfield. He's probably well aware he isn't. 

He mentioned his defense when he signed the extension.  I think he regards himself as adequate.  I might be able to dig it up.

Archived