Roch Kubatko: Adam Jones and Winning

weams

Adam disagrees with me. 

“What’s the point of just being competitive?” Jones asked. “I mean, cool, be good. But you just want to be good? No.

“Some people tell me, ‘We want a statue of you out there. Hopefully, they’ll make a statue of you out there.’ There’s only one way to get a statue. That’s to win it all. And don’t say anything before that. If you don’t win it all, ain’t no statue. I mean, you can get that little plaque over there on that wall. It would be cool to get that, and maybe the Orioles Hall of Fame. But you’re talking about a statue? You’ve got to do some incredible things and one of them is win.

“This is my 10th year and it’s kind of like my own personal dynasty with the Orioles and it would be great with the last few years left to grab a championship. That would be pretty cool to see. I don’t know all the streets downtown, but I know they’ve been renovated for the F-1 races, so it would be cool to have a parade. The Ravens had a great parade back in ‘13. Why not have one of ours in ‘17?”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/adam-jones-the-market-is-really-really-crazy.html

“Some managers are different. We’ve still got the old school guy and some people don’t want that, if that makes any sense. It sounds like he’s Sargent Slaughter or something like that. It’s not like he’s like that, but it’s like he’s like that.”

Show's show it is....

6 hours ago, Mountain Bird said:

After reading this article, I sense that Jones is getting frustrated. 

I don't get that impression from this article.   My main takeaway is that Adam appreciates the risks and uncertainties associated with free agency, and will probably be open to an extension if the O's are so inclined.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't get that impression from this article.   My main takeaway is that Adam appreciates the risks and uncertainties associated with free agency, and will probably be open to an extension if the O's are so inclined.   

Agreed.

20 hours ago, weams said:

One more year, Jonesy and everything will be alright!  I dreamt that we signed Andrew McCutchen in 2018 to a 5 year deal and extended you for 3 more years.  Whoever plays CF or RF, you'll be happy to play next to the guy.  Andrew is being switched to a COF spot this year, so CF should still be yours, if you just stay healthy and play your ass off this season.

3 hours ago, ELMERO said:

One more year, Jonesy and everything will be alright!  I dreamt that we signed Andrew McCutchen in 2018 to a 5 year deal and extended you for 3 more years.  Whoever plays CF or RF, you'll be happy to play next to the guy.  Andrew is being switched to a COF spot this year, so CF should still be yours, if you just stay healthy and play your ass off this season.

McCutchen's defense has fallen off the face of the earth the last couple of years.    I doubt you'd want either one in CF in 2019.

Archived