Time to bench Markakis and Roberts

JTrea81

We do? So you've gone over to Doc Brown's house and taken the DeLorean for a spin? There are some things here that just don't look good. We hope they can come out of it, but you don't really know.
No, we don't, and we won't know for a while, so it's pointless worrying about it now.

No doubt he looked horrible tonight at the plate, day (and weeks and months) like these happen.

Furthermore, I'm don't think Nick is the type to respond to a benching. He knows perfectly well how bad he's hitting. Presumebly Trembley has an idea of what's going on, and I trust him to make the right decision here.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These guys need a forced day or a couple days off apparently because they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn right now, if they decided to even swing...

You already complain about Millar in the four hole. You know how bad our lineup would be with either Roberts or Markakis out.

You would be complaining about whoever our leadoff or 3 hole batter is.

If every team benched all the players that are in hitting slumps right now, I think a few teams wouldn't be able to put nine starting players in their games, LOL :laughlol:

Brian and Nick will be fine. They always are in the end and this is no different. :)

The second we lose...it is mass hysteria on this board...

What gives?:noidea:

Seriously? You didn't know?:laughlol:

I said to my wife after tonight's loss to the Yankees: I'd bet a week's pay that there is right now not one but two or maybe even three threads about Nick Markakis and one about Burres...I'm guessing 'What's wrong with Nick?' 'Nick needs to be benched!' 'Brian Burres: O's Ace?'

Once again, thanks for not letting me down, Hangouters!

Watching tonight's game, the only players I wouldn't bench are AJ and Boom Boom. You can keep the rest of these bums. Burress deserved better.:angryfire:

Meh...Jones' leash extends through July for me. He's only 22. I love Freddy Bynum because he's a nice guy, but other than that...what else can you expect from an O's shortstop not named Ripken, Bordick, or Tejada?

It's one thing to swing and miss because of timing. It's another thing to watch three strikes sail by you that were all in the zone and not even attempt to swing...

Roberts last AB was inexcusable and pathetic...

I was stuck in awful la traffic listening to this game- and that roberts at bat- and from what it sounds like- he was looking at 97-98 mph fastballs. I'm sure the 1st one was at least to get the timingd own. The 2nd one maybe he was fooled... and the 3rd from what the radio guys said was a sick curveball that just froze him. It happens. That game was sick to listen to (like egg in the face when it's taking 2 hours to go 30 miles)... but those at bats were only so awful in hindsight because of the results. I say that because in just about EVERY game things like that will happen. They;ve happened all year to some guys- and some times teammates have bailed one another out.

Look at the Red Sox last year- ove-reacting to every red sox loss- especially with gagne... crying every time things didn't go their way. That will happen in baseball. And didn't we all expect growing pains anyway? It was a tough loss, but Roberts and Markakis will come out of their slumps- and the team will rebound. We are 24-22 and our offense isn't even close to reaching it's potential if you ask me.

Look at the Red Sox last year- ove-reacting to every red sox loss- especially with gagne... crying every time things didn't go their way. That will happen in baseball. And didn't we all expect growing pains anyway? It was a tough loss, but Roberts and Markakis will come out of their slumps- and the team will rebound. We are 24-22 and our offense isn't even close to reaching it's potential if you ask me.

Eh. That's an optimistic view that I can't embrace.

There will be plenty of negative statements on the board in coming weeks, because it certainly looks as if the O's will come down to earth.

This is not a good team. The pitching is looking way over its head, and the offense is atrocious. We'll see a lot of folks that were caught up in the hoopla freaking out in coming days.

Calm down, and deal with what we've got, folks.

Having been at the game, I can say - dispositively, objectively - Roberts and Markakis were both overmatched. All game. Even by Ian Kennedy's 89 mph heater.

It wasn't good. Both of their swings have gotten long and they're not picking the ball up. It's painfully obvious.

That said: "Brian Burres: Ace" might be pretty accurate. He's been great. His command is good. And he's really mixing speeds and throwing pitches on multiple planes - with authority.

I'm impressed.

Meh...Jones' leash extends through July for me. He's only 22. I love Freddy Bynum because he's a nice guy, but other than that...what else can you expect from an O's shortstop not named Ripken, Bordick, or Tejada?

Agreed, in that group you probably have the best hitting shortstop we've ever produced and Tejada and Ripken were pretty good hitters too.:wedge:

The baseline of the O's offense just isn't very good regardless of a Roberts or Markakis slump.They also aren't very good at figuring out young pitchers who they aren't familar with. They're going to have to trade a couple pitchers for bats.Free agency and draft picks aren't much of an option to improve the offense.They have Tillman and Arrieta coming so they should be able to afford to do this.

Funny, Buck Martinez was just talking today about how nice a day off can be for some players, not necessarily physically, but in the sense that they can relax and enjoy the game again for a day.

Nick ought to be having a day off or so every few weeks anyway. Whether he needs it now or not, I'll leave that up to Trembley.

The team was off this past Monday. That was 3 days ago... so did some of them wear themselves out in those 3 days?

The team was off this past Monday. That was 3 days ago... so did some of them wear themselves out in those 3 days?

No offense, but I pretty clearly said in the quote that he wasn't necessarily talking about the physical part of it. He was talking about how it can be refreshing to a player to have a day off and watch his teammates play while he relaxes and enjoys the game.

As someone who never played professional baseball, I have no idea if this is true. Like anything else, I think it's probably different for every player.

Archived