Jump to content

What if Frank Never Came.


weams

Recommended Posts

A lot of people don't realize that the Orioles were very good before Frank arrived.   They won 95 games in 1961, 97 in 1964, 94 in 1965.    With guys like Blair, Palmer and McNally coming into their prime, I don't think it's far fetched to think the O's might have made the WS a couple of times in 1966-71 even without Frank.   But they wouldn't have been an all-time great team.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A lot of people don't realize that the Orioles were very good before Frank arrived.   They won 95 games in 1961, 97 in 1964, 94 in 1965.    With guys like Blair, Palmer and McNally coming into their prime, I don't think it's far fetched to think the O's might have made the WS a couple of times in 1966-71 even without Frank.   But they wouldn't have been an all-time great team.   

"Frank taught us how to win," Etchebarren said. 

“We knew how to play,” says Brooks Robinson, “but starting with spring training, Frank taught us how to win.” 

“We had a good ball club, but Frank Robinson taught us how to win. " Frank Cashen

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look, Frank is my favorite player ever, but some of that "taught us how to win" stuff is overblown.    Like I said, they won 97 and 94 games in '64-65.    They knew how to win.    They just were even better with Frank on the field.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Look, Frank is my favorite player ever, but some of that "taught us how to win" stuff is overblown.    Like I said, they won 97 and 94 games in '64-65.    They knew how to win.    They just were even better with Frank on the field.    

Frank and Brooks were my childhood best players.  They had a smart GM, Earl Weaver and the best pitching staff in baseball.  Boy do I miss those days.  I wish it could happen again, but I am dreaming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Frank and Brooks were my childhood best players.  They had a smart GM, Earl Weaver and the best pitching staff in baseball.  Boy do I miss those days.  I wish it could happen again, but I am dreaming. 

I do too. But those days are long gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...