Who do you target in the 2nd?

With talk of people sliding, and injuries dropping some players out of the first round, I pose the question, who are you looking to drop out of the first, or to reach for in the 2nd round?

My picks would be:

1. of course, anyone currently projected good enough to go in the 1st that slides.

2. Reese Havens, College 2B (probably comes under #1, but has been slipping)

3. Isaac Galloway, HS OF

3. Allan Dykstra, College 1B

*Special note, I would have put Scheppers in here, but I think with a serious injury like that, it is better served as a 3rd or 4th round gamble than a 2nd.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd round, I still try to go with the best player available, with a slight preference to any college middle infielders who can stay as middle infielders - especially SS. I think they need to try to draft at least one MI within the first 3-4 rounds.

Scheppers will almost certainly be gone by our 2nd pick.

Jordy Mercer is another guy I would look at in maybe round three.

He's a SS out of Oklahoma State that BA ranks at 64 so he may not be around then. They do comment that after the two Beckhams Mercer may have the best chance to both hit and stay at SS in the majors.

With talk of people sliding, and injuries dropping some players out of the first round, I pose the question, who are you looking to drop out of the first, or to reach for in the 2nd round?

My picks would be:

1. of course, anyone currently projected good enough to go in the 1st that slides.

2. Reese Havens, College 2B (probably comes under #1, but has been slipping)

3. Isaac Galloway, HS OF

3. Allan Dykstra, College 1B

*Special note, I would have put Scheppers in here, but I think with a serious injury like that, it is better served as a 3rd or 4th round gamble than a 2nd.

I've been high on Allan Dykstra for a little while now. If we don't take Smoak in the first round I think we should really consider going after Dykstra at 50. He's a big bat. Hewitt would also be a great pickup but I doubt he gets to us. Ladendorf, the shortstop out of Howard, would be a good choice as well assuming we don't draft one of the Beckhams in the first round.

By the way, here's some stuff on Dykstra. Gets on base and hits for major power. Way more walks than strikeouts. He's had the ACC's number since his freshman year.

His defense doesn't seem to be a strong point but I've never read anything saying it's inadequate or that he won't be able to play a ML 1st base. He's not looked at by scouts as one of the purest hitters in the draft but he's an OBP machine and I think he's a little underrated with the amount of college bats competing in the draft this year.

He has been comparable or better for his career in the same league as Yonder Alonso, a 1B out of Miami who has been listed in the top 10 on many boards.

I've been high on Allan Dykstra for a little while now. If we don't take Smoak in the first round I think we should really consider going after Dykstra at 50. He's a big bat. Hewitt would also be a great pickup but I doubt he gets to us. Ladendorf, the shortstop out of Howard, would be a good choice as well assuming we don't draft one of the Beckhams in the first round.

I like Dykstra's raw power. Didn't get much out of the one game I saw of him since he was pitched around. From what I hear, he lunges a bit.

I'd be in favor of Ladendorf regardless of 1st pick. Solid talent.

By the way, here's some stuff on Dykstra. Gets on base and hits for major power. Way more walks than strikeouts. He's had the ACC's number since his freshman year.

His defense doesn't seem to be a strong point but I've never read anything saying it's inadequate or that he won't be able to play a ML 1st base. He's not looked at by scouts as one of the purest hitters in the draft but he's an OBP machine and I think he's a little underrated with the amount of college bats competing in the draft this year.

He has been comparable or better for his career in the same league as Yonder Alonso, a 1B out of Miami who has been listed in the top 10 on many boards.

Good post. Keep in mind there wasn't much else in the Wake lineup, so not all of those walks were necessarily due to an eagle-eye. He was pitched around a ton.

Good post. Keep in mind there wasn't much else in the Wake lineup, so not all of those walks were necessarily due to an eagle-eye. He was pitched around a ton.

This is a very good point. Wake Forest had a pretty bad lineup. By the same token, Dykstra wasn't given any protection, which might be a plus depending on whether you think protection really matters. He's a kid to watch.

This is a very good point. Wake Forest had a pretty bad lineup. By the same token, Dykstra wasn't given any protection, which might be a plus depending on whether you think protection really matters. He's a kid to watch.

Absolutely. I tend to give it more weight the lower the level. It's more important in HS, less so in college ball, less so in LoMiL, less so in HiMiL, etc.

I definitely would target 1B Allan Dykstra or SS Tyler Ladendorf with our second pick, depending on what position our first pick is. If our first pick is a pitcher, I think I'd go with Ladendorf. BUT, that might not happen, as it's very possible that both of those players will be gone by our 2nd pick (50th overall).

Archived