Hardy Already Dealing With Sore Back

Can_of_corn

4 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Fair. I'm just tired of watching Ryan Flaherty fail at the plate. He brings no value offensively, and I like offensive value out of the corners.

I think we all are.  But when they keep tendering him contracts and the starting SS is on the wrong side of 30 it's going to happen.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Davis was competent at third the O's would not have needed to call up a 19 year old to play third base in 2012.

Your premise has flaws because of the Roster Construction and Injuries.

Chris Davis played

38 games at 1B

11 games in LF

29 games in RF

60 games at DH

Wilson Betemit was the third baseman until injury bug hit, they then called up Machado.  Mark (Iron Glove at 3B) Reynolds was the First Baseman for 105 games after he was removed from third base.  To say the option was available to have Chris Davis at third base is just false with the way the roster was constructed.  He had no games played at that position and the options fro the Orioles prior to the Machado call up were

Betemit-69 Games
Reynolds-15 Games
Tolleson-11 Games
Andino-9 Games
Flaherty-7  Games

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Metrics at first being what they are coming into last season I think I recall Trumbo rating slightly higher than Davis at first.  Obviously Davis had a very solid year at first last year and has probably pulled ahead. 

But I think it is fair to say that the drop off from Davis to Trumbo wouldn't hurt the team much at all.

I don't put much stock in defensive metrics, but according to Fangraphs Davis' defensive runs saved at first base over the past three years were 8, 4 and 8. Trumbo's were -1, 1 and 0. And Davis passes the eye test with flying colors. Trumbo is just kind of there.

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

Your premise has flaws because of the Roster Construction and Injuries.

Chris Davis played

38 games at 1B

11 games in LF

29 games in RF

60 games at DH

Wilson Betemit was the third baseman until injury bug hit, they then called up Machado.  Mark (Iron Glove at 3B) Reynolds was the First Baseman for 105 games after he was removed from third base.  To say the option was available to have Chris Davis at third base is just false with the way the roster was constructed.  He had no games played at that position and the options fro the Orioles prior to the Machado call up were

Betemit-69 Games
Reynolds-15 Games
Tolleson-11 Games
Andino-9 Games
Flaherty-7  Games

He played 17 games at third for the Orioles in 2011.

He also played 21 games at third in 2014.  How was he not a realistic option?

6 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

Solid is basically the same thing as average. First base is Trumbo's best position (except DH), but he's not nearly as good as Chris Davis. It's much easier to keep Davis at first and find a guy who can do the job at third.

People say that as if first base is a challenging defensive position. Generally, it's not. And I don't think Davis is THAT much better than Trumbo or some other options there. To me, Davis is more athletic than Trumbo, and he has a phenomenal arm. So if I were to look at both players - with no prior bias - and determine who plays where, then Trumbo goes to first and Davis goes to the outfield. But that's just me. And I know I'm in the minority, which is fine. 

Archived