Hardy Already Dealing With Sore Back

Can_of_corn

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Those signings make a lot more sense now as well as the fact that Manny is taking reps at short. If they are below average defenders at 3B, I wonder if the team would consider moving Davis back to 3rd for a bit, move Trumbo to first, and let Mancini DH. 

Davis wasn't very good the last time he played there, but he didn't get a full spring playing there either. He's not going to be Manny, but neither is Johnson or Francisco. Either way, we need to hope Hardy's back with be ok this year because he's the anchor of that defensive infield.

Earl would have taken the route you suggest, without hesitation.  I don't think Buck has the stones to experiment with an alignment like this.  It is intriguing, but it will never happen on Buck's watch.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ELMERO said:

Earl would have taken the route you suggest, without hesitation.  I don't think Buck has the stones to experiment with an alignment like this.  It is intriguing, but it will never happen on Buck's watch.

So you think Buck is a wimp, big guy?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He played 17 games at third for the Orioles in 2011.

He also played 21 games at third in 2014.  How was he not a realistic option?

You conveniently forgot about the part that I stated "as the roster was constructed".  Beings it did not fit your particular revisionist history of the 2012 season does not make Chris Davis an option over Manny Machado in Buck Showalters eyes.  He (Buck) used his roster as best he could especially with the injury that took out Nick Markakis on September 8th.  This put Andy Chavez, Lew Ford and Chris Davis in RF but heck he probably should have played Third instead because the Orioles had no other option.

10 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Buck, who played Pearce at 2B for numerous games, isn't willing to experiment?  

13 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

People say that as if first base is a challenging defensive position. Generally, it's not. And I don't think Davis is THAT much better than Trumbo or some other options there. To me, Davis is more athletic than Trumbo, and he has a phenomenal arm. So if I were to look at both players - with no prior bias - and determine who plays where, then Trumbo goes to first and Davis goes to the outfield. But that's just me. And I know I'm in the minority, which is fine. 

One of Davis best assets is digging the ball out of the dirt. He has saved Hardy many times on throws that barely make it to 1B. He has also saved Manny quite a few errors. He also stretches for the ball very well. Being more athletic than Trumbo is a huge advantage for Davis.

3 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

One of Davis best assets is digging the ball out of the dirt. He has saved Hardy many times on throws that barely make it to 1B. He has also saved Manny quite a few errors. He also stretches for the ball very well. Being more athletic than Trumbo is a huge advantage for Davis.

That was basically going to be my response as well. If every throw is chest high, then it really doesn't matter whether you have Trumbo or Davis there. But that's not reality. I've also seen Chris make his fair share of diving stabs to save balls down the line. I've been very critical of the contract the Orioles gave Chris and sometimes he frustrates the hell out of me with all those strikeouts, but the one thing I can't fault him for is his defense. He's worked hard to make himself one of the best.

Perhaps the black cloud has lifted from shortstop J.J. Hardy, who found out that the tests on his back - an MRI, CT scan and bone scan - came back clean. Manager Buck Showalter is projecting that Hardy could begin playing on March 10.

“The thing we were worrying about were tears,” Showalter said. “There’s nothing there. Just got to calm down the irritation.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/good-news-on-hardy-and-getting-to-know-gentry.html

17 hours ago, El Gordo said:

So you think Buck is a wimp, big guy?

Yeah, I do, in a lot of respects, now that he's getting older and probably feels very comfortable in his position.  Of course, he is still a great manager.  I don;t believe he would attempt the positioning of players that Tony- OH implied and it appears to me, he treats his star players with kid gloves.

39 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Yeah, I do, in a lot of respects, now that he's getting older and probably feels very comfortable in his position.  Of course, he is still a great manager.  I don;t believe he would attempt the positioning of players that Tony- OH implied and it appears to me, he treats his star players with kid gloves.

It's a dumb idea. You weaken two posistions on defefense that way. CD wouln't be as good as Flash at 3B and Trump as good.as CD at 1B, Buck be a wimp as you say but he's not stupid.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2017 at 11:54 PM, 25 Nuggets said:

Kind of like Pauly Shore playing Richard III.

I wouldn't pay to see Alvarez play 3B.  I would gladly stand in line and pay full price to see Pauley Shore play Richard III.  Opportunities like that don't come every day.

Archived