Orioles Sign Craig Gentry (Outrighted to AAA 5/16)

Rene88

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig Gentry can't hit. The O's still need Bourne.  The O's may need a 3rd baseman ala Chris Johnson because of Hardy's back and Machado need to move to SS.  The O's still need a starting pitcher.  So far all the moves outside of Jumbo and Wellington Castillo have not been made to fill our needed holes.  I hope it can get done soon before all the FA are gone.

25 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Craig Gentry can't hit. The O's still need Bourne.  The O's may need a 3rd baseman ala Chris Johnson because of Hardy's back and Machado need to move to SS.  The O's still need a starting pitcher.  So far all the moves outside of Jumbo and Wellington Castillo have not been made to fill our needed holes.  I hope it can get done soon before all the FA are gone.

One of them (Bourn or Gentry) has a lifetime  MLB OPS of .668, the other .687.

One of them is 34 and the other 32.

One of them has a career MLB OBP of .327. The other .335.

4 minutes ago, weams said:

If he is healthy, he is Bourn, younger, faster, better center fielder.  Of course no real power. So that stinks. 

Well, if I had to give up one tool for this type of player it would be power. I can live with good D, good baserunning and decent OBP against LHers. Hope he rebounds.

4 minutes ago, stef said:

Well, if I had to give up one tool for this type of player it would be power. I can live with good D, good baserunning and decent OBP against LHers. Hope he rebounds.

The ability to stay healthy isn't a tool but I think it should be.

If you can't get on the field the rest doesn't make a difference.

I think this guy has a better chance of making the team on April 3 than Choice, Francisco, Andino, Johnson, or Giovatella, assuming all regulars are healthy.  His skillset, such as it is, comes closer to filling a current need on our major league roster than any of them.  (Plays the OF with a + glove or at least not a - glove, bats from the right side, has gotten onbase more than 1/3 of the time in his major league career).

And it probably doesn't hurt that his time with the Rangers intersected Buck's.

4 hours ago, weams said:

One of them (Bourn or Gentry) has a lifetime  MLB OPS of .668, the other .687.

One of them is 34 and the other 32.

One of them has a career MLB OBP of .327. The other .335.

One of them has had more recent success and a better overall track record.

Archived