Orioles Sign Craig Gentry (Outrighted to AAA 5/16)

Rene88

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We disagree in that you seem to think Rickard has a good chance to start at Norfolk while I think he's close to a lock to make the team unless he just tanks this spring.

You think Mancini is a lock as the DH against LHP?     Or you think someone else is a lock to make the bench?   Besides Flaherty and Josepth.   A four man bench once the dust settles.

I think that Mancini could fill that Reimold role, without going out to play poor defense late. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RZNJ said:

Didn't realize you were going that far back.   Over 30 years!

Well, thirty years isn't that long for some of us.  ;)

When you have as you just stated a four man bench (three really with the backup catcher generally off limits) you are pretty limited in who you can keep.  Right now it looks like the O's won't have a pinch hitter some nights.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'm not sure what has changed from last year though.    When a LHP starts, Smith, Kim, Flaherty, and one of the catchers will be available to PH.    When a RHP starts, Rickard, Mancini, Flaherty, and one of the catchers would be available.

When I said they wouldn't have a pinch hitter I didn't mean it literally.  They will have someone that can technically pinch hit.  But the right handed options off the bench have very unimpressive bats.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I'll take the bait.   The players who are on the bench are on the bench because they are decidedly better against one side of pitching.   So Kim and Smith might be on the bench and would be excellent PH's against RHP.      And Mancini and Rickard (.861 OPS against LHP) would be excellent PH's against LHP.    Almost every team has a weak hitting middle IN and catcher on the bench.

And both Mancini and Rickard are not assured spots and one will most likely not have a spot if Gentry makes the team.  I'll agree that if both Mancini and Rickard make the team the O's might not be toothless off the bench against lefties.  But I thought we were working under the understanding that the roster would include Gentry?

And I say might because neither Rickard nor Mancini are anything close to proven entities.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

That's not the point and you know it.  Its not hard to have a high OBP and a low OPS.

I think it kinda is. 

Would depend on your definitions of high and low I guess, but I would think the clear majority of players with a high OBP have at least an average OPS.

I think the only outfielder that we know it going to make the team and stay all season is Jones.    Kim and Smith are both left-handed platoon players.  (Unless Kim proves otherwise this spring.)  Both are in their contract year.   Either could be traded at some point.

Rickard, Gentry and Tavarez will all be competing for spot.  Rickard has a chance to be an everyday player if he shows he can hit righties like he did in the minors.   But he may not be able to do that.  Gentry is a platoon player and defensive replacement if he stays healthy.  Tavarez is a unknown that has to make the team to stay if the O's want to keep him in organization.  Dan's history is pretty strong on keeping Rule 5 guy.

Mancini could have great spring an still not make the team on opening day.  His options allow that and his trade value will increase with a good spring offensively and defensively. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it kinda is. 

Would depend on your definitions of high and low I guess, but I would think the clear majority of players with a high OBP have at least an average OPS.

We're all Oriole fans.  A career onbase℅ of .335 is high to us.  ?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it kinda is. 

Rickard could have a 345 OBP and a 355 Slugging pct for a 700 OPS that would be as high an OBP as Smith will probably have with better range and a low OPS.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Gentry's lifetime .335/.333/.668 isn't nearly as bad off the bench as Flaherty's .284/.359/.642. It would be nice if our super-utility player were actually average with the stick. 

I think you have to look at his numbers in the last two seasons before you start looking at his career line.

It's been a pretty sharp dropoff.

Archived