As expected, Trumbo to play RF vs. lefties

mdbdotcom

From Roch:

Showalter indicated that catcher Welington Castillo could be used as the designated hitter on occasion this season versus left-handers.

“He’d be one of the guys I’d consider there,” Showalter said.

So, if anyone was still wondering whether Trumbo would be the RF vs. lefties, now you know.

How could they not fix this? SMH

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

From Roch:

So, if anyone was still wondering whether Trumbo would be the RF vs. lefties, now you know.

How could they not fix this? SMH

I think you are stretching what Buck said.  Just because Castillo could DH some does not mean that Trumbo plays the outfield.  Trumbo hit for a 608 OPS last year vs lefties.  Castillo hit for a 868 OPS vs lefties last year.  So maybe Trumbo sits occasionally  vs some lefties. 

Trumbo has done better than that vs lefties in the past.  So it all depends on how he hits this year.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd hardly say this proves Trumbo will play RF vs. LHP most of the time.     I'm sure he'll play it some.    

It's not so much what Buck said, it's what he didn't say, which is, "Trumbo will be our everyday DH. Others DH every now an then. Castillo could be one of them."

5 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

He's a better career hitter vs lefties.  He's not going to be benched vs lefties because of a SSS last year.  

So yes, it does mean Trumbo will be in the outfield. 

He might be in the outfield from time to time. But I stand by what I said.  That comment doesn't mean that.   How Trumbo hits lefties will determine that.  Its no use to put Trumbo in the outfield and then have him not hit lefties well.  Then the O's lose on offense and defense.

So we will just have to disagree on this one.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He might be in the outfield from time to time. But I stand by what I said.  That comment does mean that.   How Trumbo hits lefties will determine that.  Its no use to put Trumbo in the outfield and then have him not hit lefties well.  Then the O's lose on offense and defense.

So we will just have to disagree on this one.

They aren't paying him $13 million to sit against LHP. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

They aren't paying him $13 million to sit against LHP. 

He'll sit very rarely.     How much OF he plays depends more on the performance of the other outfielders than it does on Trumbo's.

Rather than having everything set in stone before the season starts, I think Buck will choose a roster that gives him various options and he'll try lots of combinations as the year progresses.    

Archived