Orioles Release Bourn (again)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Isn't that kind of weird because opening day is a week or so after that?

Pretty common for borderline veterans like him. Bourn wants to be in the majors, O's aren't ready to guarantee it. He has to earn the spot but he has an out if he doesn't. Win win.

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Pretty common for borderline veterans like him. Bourn wants to be in the majors, O's aren't ready to guarantee it. He has to earn the spot but he has an out if he doesn't. Win win.

Right, I get that.  It just seems like an early date to me.  Would the Orioles have decided he'd make the club that early?

33 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Gives him an opportunity to land a major league job someplace where a player has been injured right before the season begins.

Sure.  It just seems early to me.  It's over a week before the regular season starts.  A lot could happen in that time.

I still see it as this:  If Buck and co. is confident Kim can hit lefties then I think he becomes the everyday left fielder.  This pushes Trumbo to DH full time with Smith/Rickard platooning in right.  Bourn becomes an extra outfielder, pinch runner/defensive replacement.  

If they feel Kim cannot hit lefties then I think Mancini makes the team as the DH versus LHP with Trumbo in RF.  For Mancini to be sent down we would still need a RH bat who can hit lefties to platoon with Kim, and I don't see that candidate anywhere.  It's certainly not Bourn.  

So again, it all comes down to what Kim shows he can do in Spring Training.  

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

You gotta think one of Macini or Walker is a goner here soon. I like both and believe both have potential too.

I would not be surprised to see Walker DFA'd if the Orioles need another roster spot. I'd like to see them trade him for maybe a C level minor league shortstop who can field well.

53 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I still see it as this:  If Buck and co. is confident Kim can hit lefties then I think he becomes the everyday left fielder.  This pushes Trumbo to DH full time with Smith/Rickard platooning in right.  Bourn becomes an extra outfielder, pinch runner/defensive replacement.  

If they feel Kim cannot hit lefties then I think Mancini makes the team as the DH versus LHP with Trumbo in RF.  For Mancini to be sent down we would still need a RH bat who can hit lefties to platoon with Kim, and I don't see that candidate anywhere.  It's certainly not Bourn.  

Wow, great post. Thanks for sharing this, sounds spot on.

37 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I just don't see how Trey Mancini makes this team whether Kim can hit lefties or not. He has zero defensive value and would strangle the roster's defensive flexibility. He's not playing first with Chris Davis there, so basically you'd be carrying him just to DH about one game out of four and pinch hit. I actually think somebody like Craig Gentry, who provides speed and outfield defense, might have a better chance of making the team.

And I realize Orioles fans have been conditioned to think of Mancini as some can't miss hitting prospect, but the truth is that in 125 games at Norfolk last year his OPS was only .775. Sure, he looked great in Baltimore, but we're only talking 15 plate appearances. Tiny sample size. So the jury is really still out. If other clubs valued him as much as the Orioles seem to, you'd think they'd trade him because he's blocked from any significant playing time for the next three years. And it isn't going to do him any good sitting on the bench. If he's going to improve, he needs to play every day.

2 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

If Mancini starts in AAA, would not Trumbo become full time DH?  Would this not contradict the "Trumbo plays RF vs LHP" statement?

What statement? Are we talking Duquette because I'm sure he was talking about that before he signed all these extra outfielders. Things change and no one really wants Trumbo out in RF.

Archived