Orioles Release Bourn (again)

Can_of_corn

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think Jones' comments were directed at Smith.    He's no gold glover but he's better than Kim or Trumbo.   The OF defense will be significantly better than last year's, by getting Trumbo out of there most of the time and putting a better defensive player in Reimold's spot.     Those are two things that are certain to happen.    There are other variables that could improve the defense further.

I agree that Smith is a better defender than Kim or Trumbo but he is not even major league average.  And at 34 he is not getting better. Smith himself say he is what he is.   The guy can hit righties though.   No one knows what Jones thinks of Smith defense.....except Jones.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I would not be surprised to see Walker DFA'd if the Orioles need another roster spot. I'd like to see them trade him for maybe a C level minor league shortstop who can field well.

Agreed.  There's no reason not to move him at this point.  He has no future here.

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

What statement? Are we talking Duquette because I'm sure he was talking about that before he signed all these extra outfielders. Things change and no one really wants Trumbo out in RF.

I never understand why people get seemingly bent out of shape about DD statements as though they were personally lied to (not saying this poster was necessarily "bent out of shape").  

Career figures are, of course, more important, but over the last few years there hasn't been much of a difference at all--and last year an inversion--of Bourn's against-LHP/RHP splits. Add in his defensive skills and it's not out of the question that he could *start in the OF vs. lefties* if Buck decides Kim can't hit them.

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Bourn, to me, only makes sense if Kim or Smith are traded OR if Kim plays everyday against both types of pitching.   Otherwise, you are one RH hitter short against LHP.     Bourn is insurance in case Kim doesn't look good against LHP or if Kim, Smith, or Jones go down with injury and aren't ready to start the season.   I do not think he is OPTION A.

Agreed, and I think it is an indication that Kim will indeed see time vs LHP.  Bourn will be his defensive and baserunning replacement and Smith will platoon with either Rickard or Gentry.

The only way I think it makes sense to keep Bourn is if Adam Jones is moved to RF.  Folks talk about keeping Bourn for his defense, but he doesn't have a RF's arm.  If he plays, it should be in CF or a late-inning defensive replacement in LF.    

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Dan is throwing a bunch crap against the wall to see what will stick.  These players signed in the last month are flawed.  

Here is what I see:

Mancini will outhit all the late additions in ST but there is no spot for him.  He goes to AAA and is trade bait for later  in the season.

Gentry still has great speed and defensive ability but  1) he has averaged 45 games and 105 AB over the past 3 years  2)  He hasn't shown he can still hit in that three year period.   Odds are he is on the DL within  a few months if he makes the major league roster.

Bourn has lost a few steps at 34.  He has hit 252/313/337/650 over the past three years and he is in decline.   I don't see what he adds to the  team as a left-handed hitter.

Rickard will play this year at 26.  He should still be improving.  He hit 313/367/494/861 vs lefties last year.  That is something the O's need.  His defense is probably every bit as good as Bourn's.  He hit both lefties and righties in the minors.   He has options,  so maybe the O's send him down to start the season.  Not a move I favor.   My bet is he plays more games for the O's this year than Gentry or Bourn.

Smith and Kim are on the team but their playing time could be impacted by their defense.   Kim is supposed to be in better condition than last year.  I want to see if that helps him show improvement.  Gets a chance to hit lefties. Smith can hit right-handers,

Tavarez - We have not even seen what this guy can do yet.  He is young at 25.  Should improve with experience.  Had a big year in the minors last year after a mediocre minor league career.  Some reports say he is fast. Others say his speed in average.   Just have to wait and see.

Santander to the DL.

Trumbo - Doesn't look like Dan wants him in the outfield.

Walker has an option and is good depth.  Has power. Harbor Park hurts his numbers.  Hit 274/321/520/841 on the road. He is not much of an outfielder and is blocked at first . Has very little trade value.  Much less than Mancini.  

Daniel Alvarez has an option. He's 28.  His roster spot is in jeopardy.  Didn't show power last year.  Doesn't walk.  Average range.  Great arm.  

Jones, Smith, Kim and Rickard are still the cream of the outfielders in camp. The fifth spot is a toss up between Gentry, Bourn and Tavarez.  

Maybe by inviting all these outfielders, he's trying to see if any of them can pitch.

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Bourn is out 4 weeks with broken right hand.

Football injury Ring Finger. Right hand. 

1. More

Michael Bourn broke ring finger on right hand and is out for four weeks. #orioles

Bourn hurt finger catching a football after workout. #orioles

Archived