Nationals to sign Matt Wieters

PaulFolk

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

2/21M, 10 in '17, 11 if he returns in '18.

Gotta hand it to Boras, he probably told Matt from the start he could get this type of money and it didn't seem likely as time went by and most teams had a starting C.  But he got it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think Wieters is the better player, but Dan wasn't going to wait until February to have a starting catcher, and Boras wasn't going to have Wieters sign this kind of deal in December.    I can't blame Dan for moving on.

Exactly. We couldn't risk entering the season with only Joseph, Pena and a rushed Sisco. Plus hopefully we only need a one year commitment because Sisco is close. 

I'm sure MW had similar and better offers from the orioles. Boras and MW were willing to gamble and DD wasn't. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Gotta hand it to Boras, he probably told Matt from the start he could get this type of money and it didn't seem likely as time went by and most teams had a starting C.  But he got it.

Not exactly big money.

Cameron had him at 2/28 and the crowdsourcing had him at 3/36 and 3/40.

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly. We couldn't risk entering the season with only Joseph, Pena and a rushed Sisco. Plus hopefully we only need a one year commitment because Sisco is close. 

I'm sure MW had similar and better offers from the orioles. Boras and MW were willing to gamble and DD wasn't. 

The Orioles made a two year commitment as well

So the Orioles basically got Wieters for 5 million less this year and 7 million less over two years in Castillo. 

Wieters might be the slightly better player overall, but Duquette couldn't wait until late February to see if he had a catcher or not.

As the board's only Nats fan, I am happy. I much rather have a closer though:)

It will be interesting to see how the Nats staff does this year with all the criticisms of his pitch framing (I do tend to agree MW is overrated by many locally but evidently not nationally).

Archived