LHP Bleier to the OS for PTBNL from Yanks

weams

2 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

Wow - those are positively Orosconian numbers. Interesting. Maybe he turns into our true LOOGY. 

We can hope. Though, near as I can tell, last year was the first year in his career that he saw anything better than pedestrian numbers against lefties. Maybe he finally figured it out. Or maybe he got lucky. We'll see.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Walker showed average in power early in his minor league career and was a top five prospect for us just a few years ago. Walker hit: .301 .367 .516 .884 in Bowie as a 23 year old.  Three years later and he's completely off the radar. 

I really think Norfolk does something to hitters.  What if he had spent the last two years in the PCL? I can see him getting a chance with another big league team and providing some value as a platoon first baseman/outfielder in the Steve Pearce mold. 

He's 26, an underwhelming fielder and plays a position that's expected to have a significant bat. Guy will certainly land somewhere, but the clock has been ticking on him in Baltimore for a long time.

5 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

He's 26, an underwhelming fielder and plays a position that's expected to have a significant bat. Guy will certainly land somewhere, but the clock has been ticking on him in Baltimore for a long time.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that there was a place for him here.  I have no problem with cutting bait.  Just think he has a decent chance of carving out a big league career somewhere at some point.  

He sure has that ol' Yankee look with the heavy beard.  I'm hoping for a Clay Rapada-esque performance - oh wait....on Walker - he was the one hitter that actually looked like a hitter two years ago at the ESPN field hosted by Atlanta in ST.  But when I saw Zach Davies, I thought he wasn't much too so there is that....

22 hours ago, dan-O said:

The OF is jammed, like, technically, but it sure isn't jammed with talent. So it's a bit of a risk letting Walker go if none of the RH bats are able to do a passable platoon job this season. 

If the Orioles felt Walker could do a passable job as a RHB they probably keep him. As you say, they aren't loaded w talent there, but they are known quantities.

18 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

We can hope. Though, near as I can tell, last year was the first year in his career that he saw anything better than pedestrian numbers against lefties. Maybe he finally figured it out. Or maybe he got lucky. We'll see.

Good insight. Yeah - I imagine with these crafty types, that they can get better with a bit of age. You get more crafty into your late 20s and 30s... but you don't throw harder, generally. :)

On 2/21/2017 at 7:02 PM, 25 Nuggets said:

So with Walker gone, give us your OF for Baltimore and Norfolk:

Baltimore

• Michael Bourn
  • Adam Jones
  • Hyun Soo Kim
  • Joey Rickard
  • Anthony Santander
  • Seth Smith
  • Aneury Tavarez

Norfolk

• Dariel Alvarez
  • Michael Choice
  • Chris Dickerson
  • Craig Gentry
  • Logan Schafer
  • Mike Yastrzemski

Who goes?  We can assume Santander to the DL I think,

I think you will truly see a competition.  I think given the history you might see Kim traded, but otherwise it's going to be about who contributes.  Should be exciting.

Really interesting to see what happens with Choice and Tavarez.  Choice is the type of guy with a big spring you could see starting in RF on opening day.

• 2 weeks later...

o

RICHARD SIDNEBLEIER o)o (vs, D-RAYS, 3/04)o[Spring Training]

1 shutout inning. 

2 Strikeouts.

3 up, 3 down.

Last year, he only walked 4 batters in 23 innings pitching for the Yankees in his first MLB season.

At the AAA-level last year, he only walked 11 batters in 58 innings pitched.

That's mildly encouraging.

Archived