College Tourney Updates

Cody Satterwhite was just pulled (2nd Inning) due to an unknown injury -- nothing apparent on the last pitch he threw. Could be as simple as dehydration (it's an incredibly hot day). Satterwhite is currently ranked 77 by BA and would be a possibility for BAL in the 3rd round.

Vandy and Ole Miss tied at 2, bottom of the 2nd -- Vandy needs to beat them twice today to advance to tomorrow's championship.

2-run single for Dominic De la Osa. Vandy leads by 2. De la Osa is 2-2 today. A down year dropped his draft stock, but a strong postseason could eliminate any opportunity for teams to grab him at too great a discount. He would be an interesting target around Rounds 5-7.

Towson plays in the CAA championship today. Lowest seed in the tourney field, lost their opening round game against UNC Wilmington and then pulled back to back upsets of George Mason and William & Mary to get to the final. They need to beat James Madison twice to win the title. Probably not any top flite prospects playing, but good to see a local team playing well.

Clemson just upset GT to give NC State a chance to knock Miami out of the title game against UVA tomorrow.

FSU plays UNC after NC State/Miami to try to help their respective seedings in the NCAA's.

I'm about to take off to the game Stot, and if my wife didn't take the camera to the wedding she's at, and if it got recharged last night like she promised, I'll get you some pictures of Alonso, Weeks, and Posey.

Any reflections on Pedro and Smoak? Thanks for the updates!

Pedro looks okay. Made some solid plays at 3b but has struggled at the plate. He's 0-12 against righties in the tourney -- I think his average has dropped something like 20 points. He's a big kid, large frame. Very sound approach at the plate and a compact swing. He's a little off, but I love his frame of mind. After struggling against SC, he went to a batting cage in Hoover (which is where the tourney is) and took BP with some high school kids there. Said he isn't happy with where his swing is right now, but I have no doubt he'll straighten it out sooner rather than later.

Didn't catch Smoak -- SC lost to Vandy yesterday so Smoak won't be in action until Regionals.

Clemson just upset GT to give NC State a chance to knock Miami out of the title game against UVA tomorrow.

FSU plays UNC after NC State/Miami to try to help their respective seedings in the NCAA's.

I'm about to take off to the game Stot, and if my wife didn't take the camera to the wedding she's at, and if it got recharged last night like she promised, I'll get you some pictures of Alonso, Weeks, and Posey.

Cool. Thanks, and have fun!

Pedro looks okay. Made some solid plays at 3b but has struggled at the plate. He's 0-12 against righties in the tourney -- I think his average has dropped something like 20 points. He's a big kid, large frame. Very sound approach at the plate and a compact swing. He's a little off, but I love his frame of mind. After struggling against SC, he went to a batting cage in Hoover (which is where the tourney is) and took BP with some high school kids there. Said he isn't happy with where his swing is right now, but I have no doubt he'll straighten it out sooner rather than later.

Didn't catch Smoak -- SC lost to Vandy yesterday so Smoak won't be in action until Regionals.

Ok thanks for the report! :wedge:

Last inning Pedro started what was almost a triple play, stepping on third and firing a strike to 2b. Missed the 5-4-3 by about half a step.

Vandy just beat Mississippi. LSU/Bama is next, then Vandy and Ole Miss go at it again.

Weeks just hit a 3-run HR, clearing everything -- around 400 ft.

Weeks spun off a bit but absolutely punished a fastball left over the outside half of the plate.

As discussed, Weeks could go anywhere from the second half of the first round to the supplemental round, so he isn't in BAL's future.

Miami 3, NC State 0 -- 2nd inning.

Just finished watching Aaron Crow pitch a 3 hit shutout against Ole Miss in the first game of the Regionals. The kid was very, very impressive. His delivery seems to be free and easy... very compact. His fastball sat in the low 90's most of the game, but he was able to reach 95 when needed. His secondary pitches (slider, change and curve) were also very impressive.

Man, I came away from that game very impressed with Crow.

Just finished watching Aaron Crow pitch a 3 hit shutout against Ole Miss in the first game of the Regionals. The kid was very, very impressive. His delivery seems to be free and easy... very compact. His fastball sat in the low 90's most of the game, but he was able to reach 95 when needed. His secondary pitches (slider, change and curve) were also very impressive.

Man, I came away from that game very impressed with Crow.

Thanks for the update. I hope the Royals did too! :D

Archived