Ranking the O's starting depth

wildcard

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Ynoa is a confusing pitcher to evaluate.   He had a truely bad year at Norfolk.  5.25 ERA.  1.44 WHIP.   in a pitchers park.  Not what I would consider a major league candidate.   But his ERA since the All-Star break is good-2.72 ERA, 0,96 WHIP.   He is hold his own in the majors right now.   I might think the he is a hot weather pitcher but in 2016 his first two months were good.  Then he had trouble in June and July. and rebounded in August.  

He probably gets two more starts this year and they could be important to him and the O's.   At best he could earn a spot on  the roster all winter and an invitation to prove himself in ST.   At worst he is just another guy who is not ready for the majors and  is let go this off season.

On 9/10/2017 at 6:40 PM, Bird Dog said:

Just think back to how bad it was before Buck......it was BAD.

Of course it was bad. But this team is bad too. They finish below .500. Of course DD has not helped him with good pitchers. How many times has Buck changed pitching coaches? I don't think that's good either. When you have a struggling Trumbo and Davis and he keeps playing them everyday. It's easy to see they need a rest. I have read that Buck is loyal. But it's loyalty to a fault. To play his vets when one can see they can't or aren't doing the job anymore. Look I like Buck. But it's has come a time to move on. IMO 

34 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Exactly,  We are talking about why Wallace is not the O's pitching coach any longer.  This quote shows that he was planning to leave as pitching coach.   Age, health and home commitments were the reasons I heard.   

This quote is about why he left the O's and did not accept a role in player development.

Wallace said that he had planned to retire from major-league coaching, but that Anderson was part of the reason he resisted overtures to remain with the Orioles in a player-development role.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Exactly,  We are talking about why Wallace is not the O's pitching coach any longer.  This quote shows that he was planning to leave as pitching coach.   Age, health and home commitments were the reasons I heard.   

This quote is about why he left the O's and did not accept a role in player development.

Also why Chiti, who was a capable/able bodied replacement, did not stay on.  The transition from Wallace to Chiti would have been smoother, especially if Wallace had stayed in a player development role.  Hence the move to the current configured pitching coaches is on Brady Anderson, not Buck and Dan.

52 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Also why Chiti, who was a capable/able bodied replacement, did not stay on.  The transition from Wallace to Chiti would have been smoother, especially if Wallace had stayed in a player development role.  Hence the move to the current configured pitching coaches is on Brady Anderson, not Buck and Dan.

We will never know how Chiti would have done as pitching coach.  And we will have to wait to see how McDowell's time with the O's turns out. All we really know is that Wallace had gone as far as he could as an every day pitching coach and he decided he needed to stop that grind.  Brady had little to nothing to do with with Wallace not coming back as pitching coach.

21 hours ago, thezeroes said:

As I recall, Chiti was never offered the job.  

o

3 free Passes (2 Walks and 1 Hit Batsman) over 8 Innings Pitched.

Retired 10 out of the final 11 batters that he faced, with the only batter reaching safely in that span coming via a swinging-bunt single.

67% of the outs that Ynoa recorded (16 out of 24) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

24 OUTS: 11 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 4 Popouts, 3 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 1 Caught Stealing

GABRIEL YNOA  GOMEZ )))))) (vs. DEVIL RAYS, 9/21)

IP:lll8

H:lllll5 (2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:lllll1

BB:ll) *

SO:lll3

Pitches: l) 94 )(61 )Strikes, )33 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 3.41

2017 WHIP: l) 1.295 )   31.67 IP  (41 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVERAGE: )l .276 (34 for 123)

* ) Ynoa also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

15 lll(71 lStrikes, lllllBalls)

10 lll(71 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

17 lll(12 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

12 llll(71 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

12 llll(51 llStrikes, llllBalls)

91 llll(71 llStrikes, llllBalls)

91 llll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

10 llll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

o

Archived