Greg need your opinion

Greg, For us to understand the top options for the Orioles at the #4 pick, please give us a major league comparision ie T Beckham- BJ Upton.

G Beckham -

Smoak-

Hosmer-

Matuzs-

Posey-

Thanks.....

This is an almost impossible task, in that all players have important differences in their games, however...

I'll try to get as close as possible.

T Beckham - Somewhere between Rafael Furcal and Justin Upton.

G Beckham - Khalil Greene, but with better batting average and less glove.

Smoak - Mark Teixeira'ish, but likely a bit behind MT.

Hosmer - Justin Morneau'ish, .300+, 30+ HR+, 110+ RBI

Matusz - Difficult, but perhaps a lighter tossing Sabathia, but perhaps more consistent.

With more time I may do better. :)

Posey-

Greg, For us to understand the top options for the Orioles at the #4 pick, please give us a major league comparision ie T Beckham- BJ Upton.

Thanks.....

T. Beckham - a poor man's Derek Jeter/Jimmy Rollins

G Beckham - I like the K. Greene comp.

Smoak- offensively no where near Tex.; defensively superior

Hosmer- Morneau with more power potential, won't hit for as high an average

Matuzs- much closer to Mark Mulder than Sabathia, similar to Loewen

Posey- somewhere between Craig Biggio and Jason Kendell (with less speed)

T. Beckham - a poor man's Derek Jeter/Jimmy Rollins

G Beckham - I like the K. Greene comp.

Hosmer- Morneau with more power potential, won't hit for as high an average

Matuzs- much closer to Mark Mulder than Sabathia, similar to Loewen

Posey- somewhere between Craig Biggio and Jason Kendell (with less speed)

better defensively than Tex? Thought he was a gold glover.

I haven't seen many of the kid's games, but most of the reports I've read on him say he has the potential to be a 40 homerun guy, while more likely closer to a 30 homerun guy. Plus he's a switch hitter. That would seem to be pretty close to Tex. Have you seen something in his game that makes you think differently?

I haven't seen many of the kid's games, but most of the reports I've read on him say he has the potential to be a 40 homerun guy, while more likely closer to a 30 homerun guy. Plus he's a switch hitter. That would seem to be pretty close to Tex. Have you seen something in his game that makes you think differently?

You are the first to say he has 40 HR potential. I think his max potential is 30HR's. Offense is a lot more involved than hitting homeruns. On a bad year, Tex hits 30 HR's. I think Smoak's numbers will be less in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS. Not to say they won't be very good, just not as good as Tex's. (IMO)

You are the first to say he has 40 HR potential. I think his max potential is 30HR's. Offense is a lot more involved than hitting homeruns. On a bad year, Tex hits 30 HR's. I think Smoak's numbers will be less in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS. Not to say they won't be very good, just not as good as Tex's. (IMO)

No he isn't. There have been numerous sources saying that.

He's got plus power now and in the future, from both sides of the plate. He could be a 35-40 homer guy at the big-league level.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2008/index.jsp?mc=smoak

3. Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

If Alvarez has competition for the "Best College Hitter" title, it's from Smoak, who will likely one day top 40 home runs in the majors. He's also one of the nation's most athletic first basemen and has potential to one day win a Gold Glove. The key for Smoak is maintaining good bat control and keeping his strikeout numbers down.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/02/25/baseball.top.prospects/index.html

But, if your point is that it is a stretch to project ANY college/HS batter to 40 HR potential in the big leagues- I would agree.

There is just to much that can happen between HS/College-rookie lg-A-A+-AA-AAA- MLB... to project that this early. Suffice it to say he has *plus power* potential at this point.

When someone compares Loewen to Matusz it makes me completely loathe the idea of picking Matusz with the 4th.

Loewen, on his best days, hasn't had the kind of command that Matusz has shown every day.

Matusz, being a college pitcher, also will be drafted with a lot more experience than Loewen had.

Loewen is not a good comparison, imo.

Like 66-70-83 said I'm not the first to say he has that kind of potential. I'm just mainly going off of what I've read through different scouting reports.

I understand that homeruns are not everything though, but they're a good gauge for power potential. Anyways, so you think he'll be far from the player Tex is offensively due to the other means of analyzing offense? Are you just overrating Tex or do you see Smoak as that low level? Because you have to figure if they have the same homerun potential they should have about the same power potential, and likely similar slugging percentages. And every other stat of Tex's is only pretty good. .284 lifetime batting average, .369 lifetime OBP, and 11 career stolen bases are only pretty good in my book. What makes Tex great is his power, which Smoak seems to have the potential to be. So my question is this..were you just overrating Tex or does smoak project in your opinion to be not even that good in those categories? This is an honest question by the way.

Like 66-70-83 said I'm not the first to say he has that kind of potential. I'm just mainly going off of what I've read through different scouting reports.

I understand that homeruns are not everything though, but they're a good gauge for power potential. Anyways, so you think he'll be far from the player Tex is offensively due to the other means of analyzing offense? Are you just overrating Tex or do you see Smoak as that low level? Because you have to figure if they have the same homerun potential they should have about the same power potential, and likely similar slugging percentages. And every other stat of Tex's is only pretty good. .284 lifetime batting average, .369 lifetime OBP, and 11 career stolen bases are only pretty good in my book. What makes Tex great is his power, which Smoak seems to have the potential to be. So my question is this..were you just overrating Tex or does smoak project in your opinion to be not even that good in those categories? This is an honest question by the way.

How can I be overrated Tex? His numbers speak for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I like Smoak and would be happy if we draft him. I'm actually hoping we do so we are less inclined to overpay for Tex next year. From my own personal comparison Smoak doesn't generate the same type of bat speed as Texiera as a college player. He has some flaws in his swing that were exposed last summer that he will need to correct against professional pitching. IMO, offensively his numbers just don't project as well.

BTW, what does career stolen bases have to do with anything? ;):scratchchinhmm:

How can I be overrated Tex? His numbers speak for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I like Smoak and would be happy if we draft him. I'm actually hoping we do so we are less inclined to overpay for Tex next year. From my own personal comparison Smoak doesn't generate the same type of bat speed as Texiera as a college player. He has some flaws in his swing that were exposed last summer that he will need to correct against professional pitching. IMO, offensively his numbers just don't project as well.

BTW, what does career stolen bases have to do with anything? ;):scratchchinhmm:

You could be overrating Tex based on his numbers not measuring his power. A lifetime .284 average, and I think it was .369 OBP are only pretty good. They're not amazing. They're just pretty good. Where he becomes amazing is when you include his power numbers into the mix, which according to the reports I've read atleast say Smoak has the potential to match. So to me that sounds like you're saying Smoak won't even be nearly good enough to hit .284 and get on base at a .369 clip, which sounds like a .260/.330 player. So I was wondering if you were just overrating Tex or if that's really what you saw smoak as profiling as. But thanks for clearing up your stance on him. You just don't think he has quite as good hitting tools. Thankyou.

Oh and stolen bases I just included to show that Tex isn't some speed demon for a first basemen, and it won't be hard for Smoak to match him in the speed tool atleast haha.

Anyways I'm not trying to say that Smoak looks like he'll be as good as Tex, I'm just trying to gain a little more info on these players.

Loewen, on his best days, hasn't had the kind of command that Matusz has shown every day.

Matusz, being a college pitcher, also will be drafted with a lot more experience than Loewen had.

Loewen is not a good comparison, imo.

Here is what BA had to say about Loewen in 2002:

"With two plus pitches and the possibility of two more, Loewen has legitimate No. 1 starter potential. His fastball usually ranges from 90-95 mph, though it was a bit lower at the end of the season as he tired. His curveball, a big 12-to-6 breaker, is his best pitch. He has a good feel for a changeup and has dabbled with a slider as well. He’s athletic with smooth mechanics, effortless arm action and good extension."

You are right. Loewen projected better than Matusz. :laughlol:

Here is what BA had to say about Loewen in 2002:

"With two plus pitches and the possibility of two more, Loewen has legitimate No. 1 starter potential. His fastball usually ranges from 90-95 mph, though it was a bit lower at the end of the season as he tired. His curveball, a big 12-to-6 breaker, is his best pitch. He has a good feel for a changeup and has dabbled with a slider as well. He’s athletic with smooth mechanics, effortless arm action and good extension."

You are right. Loewen projected better than Matusz. :laughlol:

:laughlol:

Maybe so....

But, this comparison may demonstrate what a difference it makes evaluating a college pitcher vs a HS pitcher..... A lot can happen in a few years. Facing the college hitters for several years and still coming out on top is a good thing that supports the notion that college pitchers are a safer pick.

Matusz is clearly a more polished product than Loewen was on his draft day.

Archived