They All Break

weams

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this moment, Clayton Kershaw, David Price, Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, Felix Hernandez, James Paxton, Jon Lester, Adam Wainwright, Robbie Ray, Steven Wright, Brandon McCarthy, Matt Shoemaker, Wei  Yin Chen, Edinson Volquez, Matt Harvey, Noah Syndergaard, Zach Wheeler, Michael Pineda, Johnny Cueto, Alex Cobb, and Aaron Sanchez are all on the DL

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

At this moment, Clayton Kershaw, David Price, Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, Felix Hernandez, James Paxton, Jon Lester, Adam Wainwright, Robbie Ray, Steven Wright, Brandon McCarthy, Matt Shoemaker, Wei  Yin Chen, Edinson Volquez, Matt Harvey, Noah Syndergaard, Zach Wheeler, Michael Pineda, Johnny Cueto, Alex Cobb, and Aaron Sanchez are all on the DL

Someone forgot to tell Strasburg he's on the DL. He's pitching right now.

38 minutes ago, Malike said:

Someone forgot to tell Strasburg he's on the DL. He's pitching right now.

He and Sabathia were both activated from the DL to start today.   At the time I wrote that, it was 100% correct.

On the other hand, Yu Darvish has gone one the DL since I wrote that.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Archer left Saturday's game with the dreaded forearm tightness, but no structural damage found.  I do think I remember reading someone on here who said they anticipated strongly that Archer may have arm issues because of his mechanics....but could be remembering wrong. 

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/rays-journal-no-structural-damage-for-chris-archer/2336255

• 3 months later...

In Moore, they’ll add a hurler who seemed on his way to establishing himself as a top-end starter before Tommy John surgery intervened. Moore looked to rebound somewhat in 2016, the year in which he was shipped from the Rays to the Giants in a deadline deal that sent Matt Duffy and prospects to Tampa Bay. The southpaw ended the year with a 4.08 ERA over 198 1/3 innings, with 8.1 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9.

The Giants’ belief at that point was surely that Moore would at least continue to provide quite a few solid innings, with perhaps some hope that he’d make yet further strides. But his 2017 follow-up effort fell flat, as Moore’s velocity trended down and his swinging-strike rate sat at a full-season-low 8.6% rate.

Matt Moore. Tommy John Failure. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/rangers-to-acquire-matt-moore.html

1 hour ago, weams said:

Moore had a very disappointing last year.  However, I think he is a good buy low candidate that did not cost the Rangers much.   The Rangers have now added three starting pitching this off season (Fister, Minor and Moore) while the Orioles twiddle their thumbs. I would much rather have Moore for one year at nine million than Cashner for three years at thirty million.

6 minutes ago, POR said:

Moore had a very disappointing last year.  However, I think he is a good buy low candidate that did not cost the Rangers much.   The Rangers have now added three starting pitching this off season (Fister, Minor and Moore) while the Orioles twiddle their thumbs. I would much rather have Moore for one year at nine million than Cashner for three years at thirty million.

I agree with you entirely. Unless...The plan is to make a trade or two (Machado and Britton) for several good young almost ML ready pitching prospects. That is to me, the smart play here. The Orioles could trade Machado and Britton for a bevy young pitchers and replace Machado with a guy like Moustakis, and have a more competitive yeam in 2018, and much more competitive in '19, '20 and beyond. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. But if at the end of the day, the Orioles are shelling out 10M per for the also ran FA pitchers, then I am in your corner.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:21 AM, Frobby said:

That's a pretty significant development.    

Great news. We can now begin using a new strategy called "fleecing the rival." We trade Manny to the Yanks and Gausman to the Sox (plus a few relievers to other teams.) We rebuild, conceding the division for the next couple of years, while weakening the future of our biggest rivals. This should be our strategy. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

I don’t understand this post.   There’s no indication Moore is injured again, is there?    Just because he had a bad year in 2017 doesn’t mean his April 2014 TJ surgery was a failure.   He was solid in 2016.    I guess we’ll see this year.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t understand this post.   There’s no indication Moore is injured again, is there?    Just because he had a bad year in 2017 doesn’t mean his April 2014 TJ surgery was a failure.   He was solid in 2016.    I guess we’ll see this year.

I disagree. I think he never was really good again. Not hurt, just never the same. Though being back in the majors I guess he counts as a Tommy John success. 

• 2 months later...

Archived