They All Break

weams

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't relish it at all, but of course I'm glad it's them and not us.    

I think it's safe to assume that this is more about "I'm glad the Red Sox got bit by the injury bug" from a competition standpoint rather than a "I'm glad David Price has elbow complications."

Price seems like a good dude to me. Nothing stands out in my memory of him in terms of ever being demonstrative or a bad opponent, so I certainly don't have any ill will towards him individually. But yeah, I have no problem cracking a smile over the idea that the Sox have a potential major hurdle to overcome. Hey, maybe they can just throw some money at it and make it go away. Seems to be their answer to most problems.

EDIT: This is the grey area that you can fall into as a sports fan, since a team's assets are generally all human capital. Nobody would give you a hard time if you were happy to find out that Jimme Johnson's car was malfunctioning, would they?

12 minutes ago, weams said:

Not an elbow. Not on long term deal, not 250 million. Not.

Shoulders are often harder to deal with than elbows.  We don't know how long term Tillman's problems are and will not know for some time.  No even if he begins the season in April.   Weakness can creep in at any time.  

Yes, there is not a long term agreement at risk but Tillman is potentially a big piece of the O's future.  He wants to stay.  Now signing him in the future is in doubt.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Shoulders are often harder to deal with than elbows.  We don't know how long term Tillman's problems are and will not know for some time.  No even if he begins the season in April.   Weakness can creep in at any time.  

Yes, there is not a long term agreement at risk but Tillman is potentially a big piece of the O's future.  He wants to stay.  Now signing him in the future is in doubt.

Shoulders are not Tommy John. Now, could his career be over? Sure! And the Orioles are on the hook for a season. In no way can you compare the loss of Tillman to Price. In any fashion. 

13 minutes ago, weams said:

Shoulders are not Tommy John. Now, could his career be over? Sure! And the Orioles are on the hook for a season. In no way can you compare the loss of Tillman to Price. In any fashion. 

I just did.

Financially you are right.  Price is a huge loss if he has to go to Tommy John.  

They've got a surplus of starters, so it's not a desperation situation for them, but obviously not a good development for them.  Makes me wonder if he was pitching hurt last year, hence the sub-par season.

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Nothing, but it helps us

If it winds up being TJ, indeed.

It's a real gray area situation, honestly. I don't think anyone would root for folks to sustain serious injuries, but there's no doubt that it helps your team when such maladies befall an opponent.

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

If it winds up being TJ, indeed.

It's a real gray area situation, honestly. I don't think anyone would root for folks to sustain serious injuries, but there's no doubt that it helps your team when such maladies befall an opponent.

This is a joke right?  You've never heard fans cheer an opposing player being removed on a stretcher?

Unfortunately it isn't that rare an occurrence, albeit more common in football than baseball.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is a joke right?  You've never heard fans cheer an opposing player being removed on a stretcher?

Unfortunately it isn't that rare an occurrence, albeit more common in football than baseball.

I was largely referencing rational fans, not irrational ones. I don't feel the need to acknowledge irrational fans. Or the average football fan in general.

It's worth noting that most people project the Sox rotation as Sale/Price/Porcello/Pomeranz/Rodriguez, meaning the next up is Steven Wright...who had a 3.33 ERA in the rotation last year to Price's 3.99. Not that Wright is a better pitcher than Price, just that, as others have pointed out, losing an ace-type starter is less of a big deal for Boston than it would be for pretty much anyone else. 

44 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

It's worth noting that most people project the Sox rotation as Sale/Price/Porcello/Pomeranz/Rodriguez, meaning the next up is Steven Wright...who had a 3.33 ERA in the rotation last year to Price's 3.99. Not that Wright is a better pitcher than Price, just that, as others have pointed out, losing an ace-type starter is less of a big deal for Boston than it would be for pretty much anyone else. 

So they have a 6th starter named Wright....big deal, so do we.  B|

• Upvote 1