They All Break

weams

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

First, David Price has always seemed like a good man and one who "deserved" the payday even if he now becomes recent example #1 of why investing so much in pitchers is always dangerous.

Second, Weams, you are correct above, but for unintentional reasons.  You are right that comparing the loss of Tillman to Price is a non starter.  However, only because the situation is MUCH MUCH more dangerous and relevant IF the injuries impact the season for Baltimore.  

Setting the personalities aside here, there are only a handful of teams that can afford to sign the types of contracts that go to the top shelf free agent pitchers.  We always bemoan the fact that the Orioles are not in on them.  But what everyone seems to miss is that it really isn't that Baltimore or other teams cant afford the commitment.  It ultimately boils down to the simple fact that they cannot manage the risk.

If Boston, or the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees or say Nationals sign and then subsequently lose someone like David Price, well they can afford it because they either have the depth to overcome it or the pockets to simply go get what they need to replace him.  THAT is the real reason that Boston can afford him and Baltimore cant.  And Weams, THAT is why Tillman's shoulder right now has more potential impact on the AL East than David Price.  Therefore I complete agree with your statements above and I join others hoping for the best for David Price.  But put me in the column that sees this as being potentially a big deal for Boston, but not as big a deal as the current questions surrounding Tillman's shoulder.

Or at least that is how I see it...

I believe that pre-FA Tillman, with a tender shoulder will still pitch reasonably well for the Orioles this season.

I believe David Price won't throw a pitch. 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

First, David Price has always seemed like a good man and one who "deserved" the payday even if he now becomes recent example #1 of why investing so much in pitchers is always dangerous.

Second, Weams, you are correct above, but for unintentional reasons.  You are right that comparing the loss of Tillman to Price is a non starter.  However, only because the situation is MUCH MUCH more dangerous and relevant IF the injuries impact the season for Baltimore.  

Setting the personalities aside here, there are only a handful of teams that can afford to sign the types of contracts that go to the top shelf free agent pitchers.  We always bemoan the fact that the Orioles are not in on them.  But what everyone seems to miss is that it really isn't that Baltimore or other teams cant afford the commitment.  It ultimately boils down to the simple fact that they cannot manage the risk.

If Boston, or the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees or say Nationals sign and then subsequently lose someone like David Price, well they can afford it because they either have the depth to overcome it or the pockets to simply go get what they need to replace him.  THAT is the real reason that Boston can afford him and Baltimore cant.  And Weams, THAT is why Tillman's shoulder right now has more potential impact on the AL East than David Price.  Therefore I complete agree with your statements above and I join others hoping for the best for David Price.  But put me in the column that sees this as being potentially a big deal for Boston, but not as big a deal as the current questions surrounding Tillman's shoulder.

Or at least that is how I see it...

I believe that Tillman currently throwing vs. Price jetting to see James Andrews as making the level of worry a bit different (i.e. Tillman does not have the same level of panic as Price), contracts and budgets aside.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

But put me in the column that sees this as being potentially a big deal for Boston, but not as big a deal as the current questions surrounding Tillman's shoulder.

My sense is that Price's injury is more likely to be serious than Tillman's.    But maybe that's just wishful thinking.   (Not the part about Price's injury being serious, just the part about Tillman's not being serious.)

29 minutes ago, weams said:

I believe that pre-FA Tillman, with a tender shoulder will still pitch reasonably well for the Orioles this season.

I believe David Price won't throw a pitch. 

So I was wrong. Price is fine. Nothing wrong. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

A buddy of mine who is a Sox fan got to spend a weekend with Mookie through a mutual friend. Apparently he is an awesome guy as well as a good bowler. I really want to hate him but can't find a good reason. 

Mookie is kind of like Pedroia for me. I can't bring the full Sawx hatred on them because they're both such good players. I love watching talented players, even against us.

8 minutes ago, scOtt said:

He saw the Dr. already? Linky?

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/david-price-injury-update-elbow-avoids-surgery/cifwghx28tts1wwn3kk8i88q4

Red Sox fans and ownership can breathe a sigh of relief as All-Star David Price will not require surgery to repair his ailing pitching elbow, manager John Farrell told reporters Friday.

Price, who had an MRI exam on his forearm and elbow Wednesday, will rest 7-10 days before resuming baseball activities. Price put a scare into Red Sox nation when he sought a second opinion from renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. 

Price has had similar issues in spring training in the past, but Farrell told reporters Wednesday the current problem is of "greater intensity."

Price has been a workhorse since 2010 with the Rays. The 31-year-old shouldered the load for an injury-wracked Red Sox rotation last season, leading the majors with 35 starts and 230 innings. But his 3.99 ERA was his worst since his rookie season with Tampa Bay in 2009, and he surrendered a career-high 8.9 hits per nine innings.

Injury issues are out of the norm for Price, who at most missed about six weeks in the middle of the 2013 season with a strained triceps. Otherwise he's been dependable, one of the many reasons Boston gave him a seven-year, $217 million contract. 

Price won't have to carry as many innings with Chris Sale now in the fold, but elbow injuries don't go away overnight. Expect the Red Sox to take their time with the health of their prize investment.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

They Sometimes Break?

Good news for the Sox and Price, although sometimes these things reoccur. 

Yeah, I only wish Price the best but we've seen it with our own guys. "Forearm mass" turns into TJ surgery later.

2 hours ago, weams said:

So I was wrong. Price is fine. Nothing wrong. 

Maybe you had it right the first time.  When it comes to news about pitching injuries, MLB front offices are about as untrustworthy as they come.  Before you know it, 7-10 days rest becomes "around the AS break".

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

Maybe you had it right the first time.  When it comes to news about pitching injuries, MLB front offices are about as untrustworthy as they come.  Before you know it, 7-10 days rest becomes "around the AS break".

Keep your cards close to your vest. And your enemies even closer.

A elbow strain is a tear to either the tendon or the muscle. Zack Wheeler has a elbow strain and pitched through it, then had TJ and tendon replacement surgery, lost 2 years and is on a Dylan Bundy 2016 schedule. Since I don't know the extent of the injury, I don't know how long Price will be out but if it were my call I'd go extremely slow. 

• Upvote 1