Our unusual 40-man roster

Frobby

- 24 of the 40 are pitchers

- No back-up catchers among the minor leaguers.

- Only 5 infielders, all of whom are expected to be on the major league  team.   (I'm excluding Mancini, who may be on the major league team and is more of a DH than a 1B if he's in the majors.)

- 8 outfielders.  

Just as a reality check, I looked at the other AL East teams.    Tampa also is carrying 24 pitchers, the Sox carry 22, the Yankees 21 and the Blue Jays 20.     So it's not unusual to carry more pitchers than position players, but we're at the extreme end.   

The imbalance between infield and outfield is also unusual, especially considering that at any one time there are only 3 OF's in the game, but 4 IF's.

I'm not suggesting that the unusual construction of our roster is a problem, but I do think it's interesting.   

Also, only 14 of the 40 were drafted or signed originally by the Orioles (15 if you count Dariel Alvarez).    I don't have time to investigate how that compares with other clubs, but it strikes me as a small percentage.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Also, only 14 of the 40 were drafted or signed originally by the Orioles (15 if you count Dariel Alvarez).    I don't have time to investigate how that compares with other clubs, but it strikes me as a small percentage.  

I remember SoxHotCorner (sp?) said that DD would "churn" the roster and turn over most of the MiL players in the first few years, seems he was right.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I tried to do a quick count just within the division and came up with this:

• Yankees: 19 (this includes Adam Warren, who was traded to the Cubs and then traded back after half a season)
  • Blue Jays: 16
  • Rays: 16
  • Red Sox: 16 (this includes Hanley Ramirez, who was traded and then returned many years later as a FA)

That would suggest the O's are on the lower end but not drastically so.

I'm sure by the time Opening Day hits, the 40 man will look a bit different. An outfielder and pitcher (or 2) will probably be removed, a catcher will be added (most likely a choice between Pena and Perez), and an infielder will be added (probably a choice between Andino or Giavotelli.)

Archived