Ghiroli: Manny becoming a leader

Frobby

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I won't hold it personally against Manny if he signs with the Yankees or Red Sox.    But will it be more painful for me and every other Orioles fan than if he signed with some non-rival?    Of course it would!

But let's not hijack this thread.   It's March 2017.    This article is about Manny helping to lead the younger players in our organization.    Let's celebrate that we're watching an extraordinary player play for our team.

I appreciate what we have now. But it's kind of hard to do that knowing the end is near. It's almost like you start accepting it now, so it's not as much of a pain when it does happen.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where did I tell you to like it?  Oh wait, I didn't.

I wouldn't like it if Manny signs with the Yankees.

I'm done sidetracking this thread.

Where did I say Manny should accept less? Oh that's right I didn't. 

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I appreciate what we have now. But it's kind of hard to do that knowing the end is near. It's almost like you start accepting it now, so it's not as much of a pain when it does happen.

Personally, I don't want to dwell on it.    I don't know what will happen with a Manny in the long run.   I do know that he's here right now and it's awesome to watch him play for the Orioles.    I intend to enjoy every minute of that time, whether it's four months, two years or an extended period of time.   

1 minute ago, Fuzzball22 said:

If Manny wants to be a leader I would like to see him doing less of the immature things he does. He could start with eliminating his base running mistakes and I will just leave it at that.

I would rather he start with not getting suspended.

12 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

If Manny wants to be a leader I would like to see him doing less of the immature things he does. He could start with eliminating his base running mistakes and I will just leave it at that.

To be sure, Manny made several mistakes on the bases last year.   I would not say it was an issue in any other season and I don't expect him to be mistake prone in 2017.    He's a very heady player defensively, in addition to his pure defensive talent.    I don't think his defensive mistakes disqualify him from being a leader for the younger or less experienced  players coming up behind him.  

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

By dark side you mean if he decides to make a change in workplace to further his career?

Does another job exist where total strangers take it personally if you leave one employer for a better opportunity for yourself and your family?

Oh no, Davey quit working at Burger King so he could take that assistant manager job at Wendy's.  How could he go over to the dark side?

Sorry, I didn't mean Dark Side literally and didn't mean to get the pot stirred in that direction.  I actually love New York, Boston as wonderful places and the marvelous people therein.  And certainly I support all the literal rights that go along with seeking the best for one's family here in these United States.   Baseball, for me anyway, involves a bit of participating in a fantasy created by talented young men playing a game.  And, in that fantasy, there is lightness and dark.  Otherwise, I find it hard to care about men throwing around and hitting a ball (it would sort of be like caring about a hamburger at Wendy's or Burger King lol).   And I do love and appreciate Manny's skill, virtuosity and passion for the game, though I will root against him very much if he goes to the Dark Side (oops, I mean New York).   

Archived