What do Roch's comments on Mancini mean?

wildcard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The contract itself isn't awful but I would have been happy giving Mancini the DH job and letting him run with it.

Especially when you consider there are no in house answers to the corner OF spots like there is for DH. I think the drop off of production from Trumbo to Mancini may have been worth it if that money would have been spent on a corner OF instead. Plus Mancini literally has no path forward if you believe Trumbos days in the OF are over. 

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

Especially when you consider there are no in house answers to the corner OF spots like there is for DH. I think the drop off of production from Trumbo to Mancini may have been worth it if that money would have been spent on a corner OF instead. Plus Mancini literally has no path forward if you believe Trumbos days in the OF are over. 

Trumbo will be playing in the outfield.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trumbo will be playing in the outfield.

I would love a defensively skilled RF who can hit every day, is that too much to ask?  Trumbo played 96 games in the OF last year. That's about 60 too many if you ask me...nothing wrong with getting creative but he shouldn't be out there regularly I think we can agree on that.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

It appears the Orioles believe in Mancini as an everyday player long term, but not short term.

If that is true, why would they resign Trumbo knowing Davis is already on the team? I'm sure right now they are going to talk up Mancini. It only helps his value. He's probably their best trade commodity if they need to go that route, but unless an injury occurs, he doesn't have a full-time role on this team in the next three years.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If that is true, why would they resign Trumbo knowing Davis is already on the team? I'm sure right now they are going to talk up Mancini. It only helps his value. He's probably their best trade commodity if they need to go that route, but unless an injury occurs, he doesn't have a full-time role on this team in the next three years.

Trumbo is more likely to be productive this year.   Mancini has to get used to the league and major league pitching.  As a rookie I don't expect Mancini to hit as well as Trumbo.     I think we have to temper some of what we are seeing from Mancini because of the minor league pitching he is facing in ST.

Just because Trumbo signed a three contract doesn't mean he will be with the O's for three year if Mancini shows he can hit major league pitching.  Trumbo has  limited trade protection of 7 teams.     Just have to see how that plays out.

I think we will see a good amount of Rickard in the outfield this year.  It probably starts with Kim, Smith and Rickard seeing about equal time.  But I think Rickard will show he can hit both righties and lefties and that will lead to more at bats for him.  He could get 500 at bats this year.  Especially if he bats leadoff where there are probably about 660 AB during the year.  

Because of those three players plus Gentry and what ever happens with Bourn, I don't expect to see much of Trumbo in the outfield.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Mancini is blocked on this team and in my opinion, he has no future with the Orioles. I still believe it was awful decision making to pay Trumbo a big contract when you have a decent replacement in the minors ready to play for league minimum. I'd have loved to see that money go to an everyday corner OF. Mancini is playing to be traded right now. The better he does, the better player the Orioles can get in return. Obviously no blockbusters but maybe a useful SP depth piece?

Na. They would not get much at all. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It only took one game to turn Gentry from suspect to favorite.  Santander needs to show something and he still might.

With the coaching staff the numbers didn't matter, whether it's the one good game or the six bad before that.  They know what Gentry is (a fringe AAAA/MLB backup) and whether he makes the team over someone like Mancini has a lot more to deal with his approach and defense and whether he is receptive to changes the Orioles are encouraging or not than the results of one game.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Trumbo is more likely to be productive this year.   Mancini has to get used to the league and major league pitching.  As a rookie I don't expect Mancini to hit as well as Trumbo.     I think we have to temper some of what we are seeing from Mancini because of the minor league pitching he is facing in ST.

Just because Trumbo signed a three contract doesn't mean he will be with the O's for three year if Mancini shows he can hit major league pitching.  Trumbo has  limited trade protection of 7 teams.     Just have to see how that plays out.

I think we will see a good amount of Rickard in the outfield this year.  It probably starts with Kim, Smith and Rickard seeing about equal time.  But I think Rickard will show he can hit both righties and lefties and that will lead to more at bats for him.  He could get 500 at bats this year.  Especially if he bats leadoff where there are probably about 660 AB during the year.  

Because of those three players plus Gentry and what ever happens with Bourn, I don't expect to see much of Trumbo in the outfield.

I agree with most of this.     Signing Trumbo was debatable but relying on Mancini to replace most of what Trumbo provided would have been risky for a team in "win now" mode.

I'll be astounded if Rickard gets 500 at bats, but we've been debating the subject of Rickard's playing time in five other threads the last few weeks, so I'll refrain from getting into it here.

Archived