Anyone Have The Courage to Take a Stab at the OD Roster?

Rene88

Nice Stab as usual RzNJ. 

Will Santander accept a long rehab assignment? That is the question. He is a legitimate prospect and a guy, like Garcia, worth keeping long term IMO.

I like your list a lot with the exception of Drake, I think he is cut. However, your rationale for keeping him is sound.

i would love to keep Andino over Flaherty despite his inability to play OF and be an emergency catcher. However, no way I see that playing out.

Also, Wildcard noted Janish has no options. However, I believe he is onba minor league deal so this should have no impact I believe.

Johnson is a nice "nugget" too but don't see him sticking without an injury.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, mpw142 said:

I agree with some of it,  I think Mancini & Hart don't start with big club,  I have seen enough of Flare-dog, and Drake, and finally Santander is gone or DL'd.  I think Janish stays with club till Tillman comes back, and would replace Drake, Hart and Mancini with Stewart, Bleier, and Taverez.  Only thing I'm not sure about is Janish having an option or not, if not then  I'd prefer even Andino to Flare-dog at this point.

Flaherty is on the 40 man roster. He has no minor league options left.  Janish and Andino would be DFA's if they were ever sent down. Plus they would require a DFA in order to ever come up. 

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

SP: Tillman, Bundy, Gausman, Jimenez, Miley

RP: Britton, Brach, O'Day, Givens, Drake, Nuno, Hart

IF: Castillo, Davis, Schoop, Johnson, Machado

OF: Kim, Smith, Jones, Trumbo

BN: Joseph, Flaherty, Tavarez, Gentry

DL: Santander, Hardy

DFA: Gunkel, Ondrusek

Can't DFA Ondrusek.  Not with an injury.  He has to go on the DL. Gunkel has an option.  I doubt he is DFA'd.  There are other that will come off the 40 man before him.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Can't DFA Ondrusek.  Not with an injury.  He has to go on the DL. Gunkel has an option.  I doubt he is DFA'd.  There are other that will come off the 40 man before him.

Dariel Alvarez

I see nothing in Gunkel but no way you DFA him, we need all the depth we can get our hands on right now.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

A sixty day DL take him off the 40 man roster. On the 21st of this month. Don't be surprised if Tillman joins him.

7 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Dariel Alvarez

I see nothing in Gunkel but no way you DFA him, we need all the depth we can get our hands on right now.

DFA possibilities:

Ondrusek 60 day DL

D Alvarez 

Drake if he does not make the 25 man roster

Either or both Rule 5 guys

Way too early to know what is happening with Tillman IMO

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

DFA possibilities:

Ondrusek 60 day DL

D Alvarez 

Good list:yeah rule 5 guys prob clear room for any pitcher with a pulse that could start  that is DFA-ed around the league.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

DFA possibilities:

Ondrusek 60 day DL

D Alvarez 

You gonna start him before the end of April? I'd say 60 day is a very real chance. He'll get no spring training. Even if he turns out ok. 

With the Tillman concern, I believe that the 25 man is going to be constantly moving.  I'd rotate the depth to match up when you need a fifth starter.  Then drop them and go with a 14th position player or 8th bullpen piece.  Those 30ish 5th starter starts could be split among 5-6 guys.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Ondrusek to the 60 day DL takes him off the 40 man, which is all that is needed to add Johnson or Gentry. 

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think Frobby has mentioned this.   It's up to Santander and his agent to go along saying he's physically unable to play when the season starts.   That's the first hurdle.   The second hurdle is once they send him on a rehab assignment, the limit is 20 or 30 days and that is set down by MLB.

Also, I think there are some unwritten principles to go by.   The Orioles wouldn't want to have a good prospect and have another team play with the rules in order to beat the systems intentions.     If there is a legitimate reason to send Santander on a rehab assignment, such as his arm isn't ready to play in the outfield or it's not at full strength, the Orioles are within their rights to do such.   But the fact, that Showlter said a couple of weeks ago that Santander would be playing the OF by mid spring leads me to believe that the Orioles won't get too cute.

Players and agents do not have authority over team doctors.  Why do you think he can refuse a DL assignment?

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'm just saying it has to be a legitimate injury.  His right shoulder is almost healed enough to play the OF.  Technically, he's no longer injured once he starts playing the OF.  Whether they can DL him and say his arm strength is not yet 100%, I don't know.  If they could I would consider that a gray area.  I think that gray area might be where you'd need the player on board.

I don't really see this as an issue.  I don't see how it would be in a Rule 5 guy's interest to push to be returned to the minor leagues rather than have a shot to stay in the majors.

Archived