Joey Rickard

weams

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When Statcast publishes its 2016 "catch probability" statistics, I'll be interested to see if Rickard's poor ratings by other defensive metrics are confirmed or contradicted.   That's where his "significantly below replacement value" tag comes from.    I'm not going to say he was a stud offensively, but he did OK for a rookie.    It's reasonable to think he could improve in his second season.   

I'm definitely in the "spring training has limited importance" camp, but this is the second time this kid has been fighting for a roster spot and has come through with flying colors (so far).     You have to give him credit for that.   

A 86 wRC+ is very far away from being a stud offensively for a corner outfielder. A 65 against RHP is abysmal.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When Statcast publishes its 2016 "catch probability" statistics, I'll be interested to see if Rickard's poor ratings by other defensive metrics are confirmed or contradicted.   That's where his "significantly below replacement value" tag comes from.    I'm not going to say he was a stud offensively, but he did OK for a rookie.    It's reasonable to think he could improve in his second season.   

I'm definitely in the "spring training has limited importance" camp, but this is the second time this kid has been fighting for a roster spot and has come through with flying colors (so far).     You have to give him credit for that.   

The data available on Baseball Savant doesn't agree with the Rickard is a poor fielder narrative. He isn't in the Kiermaier class but he's better than Jon Jay. 

47 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

The data available on Baseball Savant doesn't agree with the Rickard is a poor fielder narrative. He isn't in the Kiermaier class but he's better than Jon Jay. 

Yes, the data has been published now and Rickard looks pretty good.    It's important to note that Statcast only measures catching fly balls; it says nothing about fielding balls once they hit the ground, or throwing arm.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, the data has been published now and Rickard looks pretty good.    It's important to note that Statcast only measures catching fly balls; it says nothing about fielding balls once they hit the ground, or throwing arm.   

Coming soon.

The throw stuff seems pretty straightforward with the main issue being baserunner speed.

2 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I'm not ignoring the possibility he can improve. He will turn 26 in May. His minor league resume is not that impressive, and the fact that he doesn't have much AAA experience at his age is a cautionary flag, not a feather in his cap. I am just not willing to see spring training as evidence he has improved. Especially not ~30 plate appearances. Even bad players have stretches longer than this when they look great in the regular season, against better competition. Spring training performance means absolutely nothing to me.

As I just said, I am totally fine with Rickard platooning right off the bat. I don't want to see his spring put Kim on the bench and Rickard in the lineup every day. That happened last season too, and it was absolutely the wrong call.

Yeah his minor league numbers suck... I mean in 2015 he only hit .321 OBP .427 and OPS .874 with 23 steals- I mean thats just horrible.  His career minor league OBP of .390 is meh as well.  

4 minutes ago, terps19 said:

Yeah his minor league numbers suck... I mean in 2015 he only hit .321 OBP .427 and OPS .874 with 23 steals- I mean thats just horrible.  His career minor league OBP of .390 is meh as well.  

If you factor in his age at the various levels his minor league stats look less impressive.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you factor in his age at the various levels his minor league stats look less impressive.

I think he will be an on base machine.  Will he hit for power?  No.  But I think he will be a solid defender who gets on base and can swipe a bag or two.  That is something this lineup desperately needs; someone who doesnt clog the base paths.  Last year was his first taste of MLB pitching and he hit a slump before getting hurt.  Will he be an All-Star?  Probably not.  But I think he will be a solid contributor to the team.    

9 minutes ago, terps19 said:

I think he will be an on base machine.  Will he hit for power?  No.  But I think he will be a solid defender who gets on base and can swipe a bag or two.  That is something this lineup desperately needs; someone who doesnt clog the base paths.  Last year was his first taste of MLB pitching and he hit a slump before getting hurt.  Will he be an All-Star?  Probably not.  But I think he will be a solid contributor to the team.    

"Clog the bases"?

Heh.  Kim's the only one that gets on base often enough to clog 'em.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

"Clog the bases"?

Heh.  Kim's the only one that gets on base often enough to clog 'em.

I cringe when JJ Hardy is on second base and there is a single... Might as well just tell the runners to go station to station when anybody gets on base.  

2 minutes ago, terps19 said:

I cringe when JJ Hardy is on second base and there is a single... Might as well just tell the runners to go station to station when anybody gets on base.  

I wonder what percentage have to get thrown out for station to station to be more efficient?

Archived