With two weeks of ST to go, where are the O's?

wildcard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Haha!   It's rigged.   Aquino has the best numbers thus far and Buck purposely cut him down to 2 innings while getting Wright an easy 4 in a B game.   Buck might have let Aquino go 3 if he was getting bombed.

I think Buck has Aquino slotted for the pen to start with.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Based on ST?  Drake has the better resume and you risk losing Drake if you DFA him.  Don't think the O's do that but we'll see 

I have never seen much in Drake and I like what I see in Aquino. Plus he's LH.

We're good two weeks out. Especially 2 weeks out with Gausman's start today. Not to make too much of it like some... but a real solid start. Lose Tillman for a month? They keep insisting out for a month, not for the year. Rest of the choices will get us through a weak schedule April. If Chris progresses on time we're good.

Offense will be good no matter, IF D is a rock, OF D is a good bit better than last year. Best Pen in the Majors.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No talk of Bourn. Do we have to add him to the 25 man just to DL him in order to keep him?  Will he accept a minor league assignment without being on the MLB DL?

Gentry, Mancini, Rickard, and Tavares need to all send the Wilson Football Manufacturer company a letter and dugout seats, because they are getting a lot of extra playing time with Bourn being out.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No talk of Bourn. Do we have to add him to the 25 man just to DL him in order to keep him?  Will he accept a minor league assignment without being on the MLB DL?

Bourn signed a minor league contract with a opt out on March 27th.    If he doesn't Opt out he will be placed on the minor league DL.    He can always use the opt out as a time to re-negotiate his contract.  So we don't really know what is going to happen yet.

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I take issue with both parts of your statement.

1. You've never seen much in Drake?   How much have you seen?

Drake has pitched 33 ML innings.   In those innings he has 38 strikeouts and a 1.227 WHIP

Last September when the Orioles were fighting for a playoff spot, during September/October Drake pitched 11.1 innings, gave up 6 hits, 2 walks, and struck out 14  batters.   He didn't look good to you during that stretch?

2. Aquino has had a terrific spring.  He's pitched a total of 11 innings against a lot of minor league players but let's just leave it at he's pitched quite well.

You say he's a LH pitching like that's better than Drake because Drake is RHP.   I suppose you think that gives Aquino an edge against LHB's.    That couldn't be further from the truth.  Drake, because of the splitter, is very effective against LHB's.   Aquino, on the other hand, because his best pitch is a changeup which is most effective against RHB's has reverse splits.    LHB's lit up Aquino to the tune of a .341 batting average last year at Bowie.

Now, considering that Drake has proved himself in the minors, pitched well last September, and can possibly be lost if DFA'd, I'm not giving Aquino a bullpen spot (which is a low leverage spot at that) over Drake based on 11 innings or 8 innings in ST.    Aquino can go down to Norfolk and prove that he's for real at the minor league level which he hasn't even done yet since his season in AA last year was mediocre.   Just the facts, Jack!

There are three spots open on the O's pitching staff.  A starter needed on April 15th and two relievers.

Nuno may be the favorite to win one of those spots but he hasn't pitched much.  1.2IP in the WBC allowing 2 earned runs for 10.80 ERA,   Since he has been back from the WBC he has pitched one inning giving up an earned run.  Until he shows that he is ready I don't think he has a guaranteed  spot.  

Drake is still in the competition because  no one as stepped up and taken his spot.  If he puts three good outing together he can still win a spot.

Aquino has done well but Buck has not stretched him out yet.  Until he does or declares him out of the starter competition  he is still in consideration.   

I think these three spot are still very much  undecided.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In all likelihood, Bourn and the Orioles will extend the opt out date until the end of April or so.     The Orioles will most likely choose their roster by the path of least resistance, meaning keep as many players as possible to keep their options open once the season starts.    That means the following:

1. Drake probably makes the team in the bullpen.

2. Santander is either DL'd to start the season or makes the team as an extra outfielder

3. Tavarez is possibly kept as an extra player until the 15th when a 5th starter is needed to see if anyone goes down due to injury or a spot opens up another way.   I also wouldn't be surprised in this case (don't think in Santander's) that we could work a trade out with Boston and stick Tavarez in Norfolk.    That could possibly force Bourn's hand.   I don't think Boston is scared of the Orioles acquiring Tavarez but they would insist on something worthwhile back.  Someone like Bridwell or Crichton.   They'll ask for Liranzo but settle for less.

4. Gentry and Rickard, despite great springs are in danger if Santander is not DL'd.    I just don't believe the O's are letting this kid get away.

5. Smith could go to the DL to buy more time for the outfield to resolve itself as well.   Both he and Santander's health situation bare watching. 

I think the O's keep both Rickard and Gentry on the 25 man roster.  The O's play Boston on April 11th and 12th,  They may see lefty starters from Boston in both games.  I think they need Rickard and Gentry for those two games.

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

That was a big mistake signing those two. 

Was not. They'll both hit a LOT of HRs for us! Next couple years. Make our lineup stout. Manny and Adam and Schoop et al will make it better. Good times!

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'm pretty sure Nuno is a lock to make the staff.   The most recent signs point to Mike Wright getting the 5th spot but that cold certainly change.   Agreed.   No one has stepped up to take Drake's spot and he's earned some extra credits, IMO.   Despite giving up 3 homers this spring his walks to strikeouts are just fine and he's settled down a little in his last 4 appearances.

Drake has allowed 2 runs in his last 5 innings.  That is good enough to make the team if he continues at that pace.  He can't afford another blow up but I agree he is on the way to recovering from his early ST bad outings if he can just keep it together. 

Archived