With two weeks of ST to go, where are the O's?

wildcard

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'm pretty sure Nuno is a lock to make the staff.   The most recent signs point to Mike Wright getting the 5th spot but that cold certainly change.   

Drake is still a question for me, but I'm thinking you are right on these.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's keep both Rickard and Gentry on the 25 man roster.  The O's play Boston on April 11th and 12th,  They may see lefty starters from Boston in both games.  I think they need Rickard and Gentry for those two games.

Who are the healthy Boston starters right now?

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Buck has Aquino slotted for a rotation spot in Norfolk. 

Buck may have had Aquino slotted for Norfolk but he may now be  a leading candidate to make the O's.  With Nuno and Drake pitching poorly,  Aquino, Lee, Ynao have huge opportunities.   Dan has to be looking at the waiver wire and who is available in trade.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Buck may have had Aquino slotted for Norfolk but he may now be  a leading candidate to make the O's.  With Nuno and Drake pitching poorly,  Aquino, Lee, Ynao have huge opportunities.   Dan has to be looking at the waiver wire and who is available in trade.

Nuno is going nowhere. Drake could be in trouble because his stuff is down and yes, I agree , Aquino has pitched well this spring. We also haven't seen Aquino pitching against the major leaguers too much and with an 87-90 MPH fastball, he'll have to be ultra sharp to pitch regularly in the Al East. Ynoa or Wright could end up in Drake's spot if the Orioles decided they can't take him North after his struggles this spring.

Is Aquino still a possibility, sure, but I'm guessing they rather see him pitch every five days to see if he can be starting pitching depth this year.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nuno is going nowhere. Drake could be in trouble because his stuff is down and yes, I agree , Aquino has pitched well this spring. We also haven't seen Aquino pitching against the major leaguers too much and with an 87-90 MPH fastball, he'll have to be ultra sharp to pitch regularly in the Al East. Ynoa or Wright could end up in Drake's spot if the Orioles decided they can't take him North after his struggles this spring.

Is Aquino still a possibility, sure, but I'm guessing they rather see him pitch every five days to see if he can be starting pitching depth this year.

Sorry you lost me.  Are you saying that Aquino's stuff is not good enough to be a reliever so the O's would rather see what he can do as a starter?

Just now, wildcard said:

Sorry you lost me.  Are you saying that Aquino's stuff is not good enough to be a reliever so the O's would rather see what he can do as a starter?

What I'm saying is that the Orioles will probably like to see him him get AAA hitters out every five days for a bit before giving him a real opportunity. If Nuno is on the team, and I have no reason to think he's not, I don't see a role for Aquino on this team when they break camp. He doesn't get left-handers out very good so Bleier is a better option if Buck wants another lefty in the bullpen besides Nune and Hart( not counting Britton because he's a closer).

Drake's job was as a 6th inning guy and additional long man if Nuno was out. With him struggling badly this spring, if Buck decides he can't keep him, the he'll nede to decided to replace him with another left-handed reliever or in my estimation, more likely a right-handed reliever. Honestly, it might be a good role for Mike Wright.   

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

What I'm saying is that the Orioles will probably like to see him him get AAA hitters out every five days for a bit before giving him a real opportunity. If Nuno is on the team, and I have no reason to think he's not, I don't see a role for Aquino on this team when they break camp. He doesn't get left-handers out very good so Bleier is a better option if Buck wants another lefty in the bullpen besides Nune and Hart( not counting Britton because he's a closer).

Drake's job was as a 6th inning guy and additional long man if Nuno was out. With him struggling badly this spring, if Buck decides he can't keep him, the he'll nede to decided to replace him with another left-handed reliever or in my estimation, more likely a right-handed reliever. Honestly, it might be a good role for Mike Wright.   

Aquino didn't pitch that well as a starter at Bowie.  The made him a reliever and sent him to AAA.  He did pretty well.   He refined his breaking pitches in winter ball and has looked good mostly in relief in ST.  So he has done well as a reliever.  The O's need a reliever. 

Nuno didn't pitch well in the WBC.  He has come back and is still not pitching well.  He has an option.  If he wants to make the team he better turn it around and I mean pretty darn soon.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Still is ST.  Overall stats don't matter.  If Drake can look good over his last 4-5 appearances I think he makes it.  Plus for depth reasons we might not want to stick our two best SP options, Nuno and Wright, in the pen and not stretched out.   

I'm all for winning every game, but I'd rather Wright get 1-2 starts in at AAA and roll the dice with Drake hopefully only having to pitch in 2-3 games during that time period.  

Archived