One week to go, who are the Opening Day 25?

wildcard

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  I thought it might be a clue that Mancini was making the team. Inspector Cleverseau at your service.

I am sure they will have Macini and Alvarez alternate at 1b, but good point.

RZNJ: who do you think makes the OD 25? I think Ynoa and either Verrett or Wright. Drake released. Santander to 15 day DL. I am not as big on Tavarez as most, but looks like he makes the team in the short term.

Dark horses: any chance Cisco over Joseph (very unlikely) or Andino over Flaherty (also unlikely but less so)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

RZNJ: who do you think makes the OD 25? I think Ynoa and either Verrett or Wright. Drake released. Santander to 15 day DL. I am not as big on Tavarez as most, but looks like he makes the team in the short term.

Dark horses: any chance Cisco over Joseph (very unlikely) or Andino over Flaherty (also unlikely but less so)

It'd be a mistake to start Cisco's service clock as a part time player.

Ynoa may make the start on 4/15, but I don't think he'd be on the OD roster.

43 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I'm not RZNJ, but I have a couple of opinions:

1.  I think Wilson's in the running, if Wright is.    And will be ahead of Wright if he pitches well in his start on Monday.   

2.   Drake won't be released.    He'll be DFA'd, go unclaimed, and be outrighted to Norfolk.   

3.   No chance of Sisco or Andino being on the roster.    I'm not even sure Andino will be a starter in Norfolk.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not RZNJ, but I have a couple of opinions:

1.  I think Wilson's in the running, if Wright is.    And will be ahead of Wright if he pitches well in his start on Monday.   

2.   Drake won't be released.    He'll be DFA'd, go unclaimed, and be outrighted to Norfolk.   

3.   No chance of Sisco or Andino being on the roster.    I'm not even sure Andino will be a starter in Norfolk.  

Yes, understand about Drake:) He will be DFA-ed and at this point, likely will clear.

The Norfolk IF is crowded: Janish at SS, but if Andino is still in camp and Johnny Giavotella was reassigned some time ago, how do you figure that?

Wilson has pitched well of late against minor leaguers, some low-level minor leaguers. Anything is possible but he is a mop up guy at best at this point and I like Tyler, stuff just isn't there.

12 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Yes, understand about Drake:) He will be DFA-ed and at this point, likely will clear.

The Norfolk IF is crowded: Janish at SS, but if Andino is still in camp and Johnny Giavotella was reassigned some time ago, how do you figure that?

Wilson has pitched well of late against minor leaguers, some low-level minor leaguers. Anything is possible but he is a mop up guy at best at this point and I like Tyler, stuff just isn't there.

I don't recall Giavotella being reassigned. He just played in Friday night's game.

The reason Andino has stuck around so long is because half of the Orioles' starting infield was away at the WBC, and Hardy was hurt. Now that they're all back, Andino will be sent out in the next day or two.

Andino has zero chance of making the team, and I agree with Frobby that he might not even be a starter in the minors. You're talking about a guy who was playing in the Atlantic League two years ago and is 4-for-44 this spring. What possible case can be made for him, other than nostalgia?

9 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Andino is more versatile than Giovatella, but Giovatella is a more dynamic player.  If Schoop goes down, Giovatella gets the call.    If Flaherty goes down, Andino gets the call.

5 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I don't recall Giavotella being reassigned. He just played in Friday night's game.

The reason Andino has stuck around so long is because half of the Orioles' starting infield was away at the WBC, and Hardy was hurt. Now that they're all back, Andino will be sent out in the next day or two.

Andino has zero chance of making the team, and I agree with Frobby that he might not even be a starter in the minors. You're talking about a guy who was playing in the Atlantic League two years ago and is 4-for-44 this spring. What possible case can be made for him, other than nostalgia?

I am aware of his hitting stats but to answer your question: defense. He's a Buck nugget. I doubt he makes the team but saying there is a zero percent chance is extreme.

i think all 3: Janish/Andino/Giavotella share time at Norfolk.

I am pretty sure Giavotella was officially reassigned, thought I read on Twitter, could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Andino is more versatile than Giovatella, but Giovatella is a more dynamic player.  If Schoop goes down, Giovatella gets the call.    If Flaherty goes down, Andino gets the call.

Completely agree with this.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Andino over Janish? I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Me too.   I wouldn't be surprised if Andino is released.   He was a bad hitter before.  He's even worse now.   He might be the super sub at Norfolk but I don't think he even starts there with Janish at SS and Gio at 2B.

You are underestimating nugget value. This is a team that kept Reimold all last season. 

Everyone says ST is a small sample size or pitchers are ahead of hitters except when trying to make their point:)

Give me Andino over Janish. Haven't seen enough of Giovatella to compare Andino with him...but on paper, Giovatella clearly looks better. I like Janish but I think Andino gives you a little fire.

Someone could also start at Bowie.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Some nugget.  You don't think they could have acquired him since 2012?  He didn't play in the majors at all in 2013, 14 or 15.   He got 24 AB's last year in the majors.   In 2012 he was 28.  Now he's just about to turn 33.    He played a full year of independent baseball in 2015 pretty close to where I live.   A full year in AAA in 2014 produced a .571 OPS!!!!!     I guess you could say he had a career resurgence last year in AAA but a .746 OPS in PCL is nothing to write home about.   The icing on the cake is this spring.   He's gotten 44 AB's and put up an .091 AVG and .336 OPS.   He's a fastball hitter who can't even hit spring training fastballs.   He can't even reach the outside part of the plate because he stands a foot off the plate AND bails out.   Maybe I should stop?   lol

Good rationale as always sir, I get it. I also think both Buck and the fans like him. Janish has had a nice spring for him but he's not Ichiro either and Andino is better at 2b.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Some nugget.  You don't think they could have acquired him since 2012?  He didn't play in the majors at all in 2013, 14 or 15.   He got 24 AB's last year in the majors.   In 2012 he was 28.  Now he's just about to turn 33.    He played a full year of independent baseball in 2015 pretty close to where I live.   A full year in AAA in 2014 produced a .571 OPS!!!!!     I guess you could say he had a career resurgence last year in AAA but a .746 OPS in PCL is nothing to write home about.   The icing on the cake is this spring.   He's gotten 44 AB's and put up an .091 AVG and .336 OPS.   He's a fastball hitter who can't even hit spring training fastballs.   He can't even reach the outside part of the plate because he stands a foot off the plate AND bails out.   Maybe I should stop?   lol

And, worst of all, he's already said he's not going to do any more "Andino at the Movies" Jumbotron features. So now he's really got nothing going for him.

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, the Logan Verrett I saw the other night was throwing a nasty slider and looked very good against LH hitters.  If his fastball is the reportedly 90-94 along with that slider and his recent results, he might start out as a low leverage guy and compete with Michael Givens for some more of the higher leverage innings.   Of course, the pecking order in my mind is 1) Britton,  2) O'Day,  3) Brach,   4a) Givens  4b)  Hart

Spot on.  We really are just going to need the last two guys in the pen to eat innings.  Ideally we'd like to have to guys win the 6/7th man jobs and be lights out, but they would still have to get optioned for fresh arms.  

Let's say Verret and Nuno each make the team.  As soon as one of our SP's throws up a 3 IP performance we have to make a roster move.  

Archived