One week to go, who are the Opening Day 25?

wildcard

11 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

This wouldn't quite work. The Orioles only need a fifth starter twice in April, but they're seven days apart -- April 15 and 22. A player sent to the minors has to be there for 10 days before he can be recalled (unless someone is placed on the DL).

So the first part would work -- on April 15, the O's could send down Rickard, bring up Lee (or whoever is the 5th starter), send him down after the game and bring up Mancini. Then on April 22, the O's could send down Mancini and bring up another 5th starter. But they wouldn't be able to bring Rickard back up after that game, because he wouldn't have reached his 10 days yet.

True. But they could go with an extra BP arm until Rickard has hit his 10 days.  They'd still have a normal size bench for those games.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I jumped on Wildcard for saying Wilson would make the team but he just jumped ahead of Verrett (Verrett lost command and Wilson had a decent start vs BoSox).

Ynoa and Wilson might be current favorites, may also change with the wind or if we sign or claim someone.

6 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I jumped on Wildcard for saying Wilson would make the team but he just jumped ahead of Verrett (Verrett lost command and Wilson had a decent start vs BoSox).

Ynoa and Wilson might be current favorites, may also change with the wind or if we sign or claim someone.

I think Wilson and Nuno make the pen and Ynoa is in line to be the 5th SP.

14 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Honest question: Do you think Buck/Dan are adjusting the roster based on the results of a single spring training game?

I personally hope not. 

1 hour ago, SurhoffFTW said:

Honest question: Do you think Buck/Dan are adjusting the roster based on the results of a single spring training game?

I personally hope not. 

It's not one game. Verrett entered today's game with hitters hitting .340 off him.  And his WHIP was 1.71.  Hard to know how high those numbers are now.  Wilson began the day with a .255 avg against and a 1.02 WHIP.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It's not one game. Verrett entered today's game with hitters hitting .340 off him.  And his WHIP was 1.71.  Hard to know how high those numbers are now.  Wilson began the day with a .255 avg against and a 1.02 WHIP.

They could view that as Wilson is the better starting option and having him start at AAA keeps him ready to be called up when they need him. Your long man isn't going to be asked to pitch important innings anyway. I would not be surprised if Verrett struggles he could be replaced with more of a one inning type since Nuno will be on team.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They could view that as Wilson is the better starting option and having him start at AAA keeps him ready to be called up when they need him. Your long man isn't going to be asked to pitch important innings anyway. I would not be surprised if Verrett struggles he could be replaced with more of a one inning type since Nuno will be on team.

So the O's starter gets knocked out in the 2nd inning.  O's losing by 5.   The long man needs to be able to hold the opponent to no more runs.  That gives the O's the chance to score enough runs to win the game.   I'd say those innings are important.

1 hour ago, SurhoffFTW said:

I personally hope not. 

I hope they are scouring the waiver wire and talking with Fister and/or Jeremy Gutherie's agent:)

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Good point BUT Wilson has faced a good amount of A or AA guys. His last two outings were late in the game with nobody's in the lineup.

I truly believe they are all blah. I like Ynoa and Wright gives me a headache, but after that...not solid options,

DD needs to be grabbing someone or someones from outside the org.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He signed with the Nats.

He has a minor league deal with an opt-out: not sure when the opt-out is. There is a SLIGHT chance he makes the team (he piched 5 no-hit innings the other day).

Go Nats (when they aren't playing the O's)!

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

He has a minor league deal with an opt-out: not sure when the opt-out is. There is a SLIGHT chance he makes the team (he piched 5 no-hit innings the other day).

Go Nats (when they aren't playing the O's)!

Just saying you can't talk to his agent about him as long as he's with the Nats.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just saying you can't talk to his agent about him as long as he's with the Nats.

That's right! Good observation:)

RZNJ wins again (and is usually right): Andino just got picked off 1st to end the game...sigh...there goes any hope of my crush making the team:)

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So the O's starter gets knocked out in the 2nd inning.  O's losing by 5.   The long man needs to be able to hold the opponent to no more runs.  That gives the O's the chance to score enough runs to win the game.   I'd say those innings are important.

Once again they don't view Verrett as a starter. It's spring training. 

Those innings are the least important on the staff. 

Archived