MLB to Little Leagues

TakebackOPACY

Apparently you can't call your little league team the 'Tigers' or the 'Orioles' or whatever you want. Or at least, you can't put that name on the uniforms anymore.

http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/2248736.php?

On a lighter and completely different note, I found this while googling for an article about the team name stuff:

http://www.parentdish.com/2008/04/08/little-league-teams-get-major-league-suprise/

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently you can't call your little league team the 'Tigers' or the 'Orioles' or whatever you want. Or at least, you can't put that name on the uniforms anymore.

http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/2248736.php?

We need some LL-Dad, who just happens to be a good trial lawyer, to eat MLB for lunch about this one. I don't think you could find a jury of 12 people who would rule for MLB and against a zillion years of LL tradition. I want a jury trial, and I want it plastered all over TV, with reporters sticking mic's in Bud's face every time he turns around. This is sick.

We need some LL-Dad, who just happens to be a good trial lawyer, to eat MLB for lunch about this one. I don't think you could find a jury of 12 people who would rule for MLB and against a zillion years of LL tradition. I want a jury trial, and I want it plastered all over TV, with reporters sticking mic's in Bud's face every time he turns around. This is sick.

This is sick, and it's a horrible decision. Most of today's youth aren't into baseball already because it's slow, and they consider it boring. Now they won't even have a connection with one team because of this, but hey at least they'll always remember playing on Tim's Hardware Store.

It certainly is a low class move and the potential lawsuit was probably caused by a few local teams actually using the real logo on other things besides uniforms. It is a sort of inefficient way to deal with the problem.

Will it lessen the draw of baseball to kids?

No. The game itself is what pulls people in or forces them away. I was a Brewer, an Oriole, an Indian, a Red Sox, and then just whatever school or city I played for. The name didn't change my love for the game.

I imagine if a kid doesn't like baseball . . . an MLB name isn't going to change much.

I imagine if a kid doesn't like baseball . . . an MLB name isn't going to change much.

I'd rather a kid who didn't like baseball at least connect with the sport because he played on the Royals or Rays. By taking the team names away from Little Leagues that connection is now lost.

I'd rather a kid who didn't like baseball at least connect with the sport because he played on the Royals or Devil Rays. By taking the team names away from Little Leagues that connection is now lost.

The WHAT...the WHAT????? :vader:

Really though, when I played little league we had real team names but no real logos. But there were some teams that were like the "Bolts" or the Lions. It didn't really matter. I just knew that I cried in tee-ball when I was four becase I wasn't on the Orioles and had to play against them. What a wuss.

Will it lessen the draw of baseball to kids?

No. The game itself is what pulls people in or forces them away. I was a Brewer, an Oriole, an Indian, a Red Sox, and then just whatever school or city I played for. The name didn't change my love for the game.

Agreed. It is a stupid thing for baseball to do, given the money involved and the PR hit they are likely to take. But I can't see it really keeping a kid from loyalty to the game.

When I was a kid we were always the As, because our school color was green so they tried to get that color for the shirts. I can't remember ever following the As are liking the As because of it.

When is MLB gonna sue the University of Louisville? How about Johns Hopkins? Drew University?

This is absurd.

In fairness it happens all over the place, not just MLB.

Perry Hall HS got a cease and desist letter last year from U. of Florida because they were the Gators and used a mascot similar to what you see on the helmet. I figure poor little Florida probably wasn't making enough off of its sports merchandise sales so they had to raid a HS bookstore. :rolleyestf:

This is sick, and it's a horrible decision. Most of today's youth aren't into baseball already because it's slow, and they consider it boring. Now they won't even have a connection with one team because of this, but hey at least they'll always remember playing on Tim's Hardware Store.

Watch it buddy! I have fond memories of playing for Deep Run Hardware and Little People's Place in the Manchester Little League. We tore up those poor scrubs from Knoblach's Insurance and C.J. Miller!

Baseball has little concept of long-term viability. They build smaller and smaller parks to lower ticket supply and eliminate walk-up crowds, which results in higher and higher prices and smaller fanbases. They play hardball with Little League teams to make an extra $3.75. They do their level best to make taxpayers foot the bill for every dime of new stadium construction. They're happy with teams like the Pirates mailing it in as long as they're making enough money to keep their owners happy. And they bow down in reverence to older fans by refusing to change the rules to fix things people complain about, which helps to skew the demographics of the fanbase towards that of 60 Minutes.

My #1 complaint about the Selig era is a lack of long-term focus.

Watch it buddy! I have fond memories of playing for Deep Run Hardware and Little People's Place in the Manchester Little League. We tore up those poor scrubs from Knoblach's Insurance and C.J. Miller!

We had a good season, our one loss was to the Larry Flynnt Hustlers.

Baseball has little concept of long-term viability. They build smaller and smaller parks to lower ticket supply and eliminate walk-up crowds, which results in higher and higher prices and smaller fanbases. They play hardball with Little League teams to make an extra $3.75. They do their level best to make taxpayers foot the bill for every dime of new stadium construction. They're happy with teams like the Pirates mailing it in as long as they're making enough money to keep their owners happy. And they bow down in reverence to older fans by refusing to change the rules to fix things people complain about, which helps to skew the demographics of the fanbase towards that of 60 Minutes.

My #1 complaint about the Selig era is a lack of long-term focus.

Would you include late starting-time postseason games to appease the TV folks to this list? I ask because I honestly don't know. I know TV is the big moneymaker, but is it worth it that most kids can never see any World Series games?

Would you include late starting-time postseason games to appease the TV folks to this list? I ask because I honestly don't know. I know TV is the big moneymaker, but is it worth it that most kids can never see any World Series games?

I don't think so. The problem with 8:00 start times on the East Coast is that you can't see the last few innings and still get to bed at a decent hour. On the West Coast you miss the first few innings because you're not home from work yet. Baseball has to pick their poison - somebody is going to miss some of the game. You can't have a country with five or six time zones and televise all of a four-hour game in primetime in all of them.

The only thing I think you can gig them for on this is maybe not starting all weekday games at 7:00 local time. At least the hometown fans could see the games. But that still doesn't help half the fans if the O's are playing the Mariners.

Archived