52 members have voted

1. 1. Who starts in OF

• Gentry
    • Mancini

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Mancini looked good out there. Made a good strong throw home on the run they scored. The Mancini v. Gentry argument won't last for wrong when the roster normalizes and we won't have the extra bench spot. 

Mancini is a little more athletic than I thought. He made a ground ball a close play tonight at first base while hitting.  Looks like he's in good shape. Just kind of tall and lanky. 

This year is role might be to come up for a game and give us a boost against a tough LH SP, be depth for an injury and be a September call up. Next year is when he and Rickard could both get more AB's with Kim and Smith being FA's. 

A possible Mancini career path;

2016: 15 PA's September callup 

2017: 75-100 PA's RF/PH, depth, September call up

2018: 300 PA's platoon RF, DH depth

2019: 300 PA's platoon RF, DH depth

2020: 500 PA's full time DH(Trumbo contract expired)

just guessing with PA's but you get the point. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I thought Mancini looked good out there. Made a good strong throw home on the run they scored. The Mancini v. Gentry argument won't last for wrong when the roster normalizes and we won't have the extra bench spot. 

Mancini is a little more athletic than I thought. He made a ground ball a close play tonight at first base while hitting.  Looks like he's in good shape. Just kind of tall and lanky.

Yes, his throw home was on the money.    I'm not sure that he wasn't supposed to hit the cutoff man on that play, though, as he basically had no shot at the runner.   The other ball that came his way was a sky high fly ball near the foul line.    He got a bit of a late break on it and looked a bit awkward on the catch, but bottom line he got over there pretty easily and made the play.    

He did get down the line quickly on that ground out.    He's quicker than advertised.   

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This year is role might be to come up for a game and give us a boost against a tough LH SP, be depth for an injury and be a September call up. Next year is when he and Rickard could both get more AB's with Kim and Smith being FA's. 

A possible Mancini career path;

2016: 15 PA's September callup 

2017: 75-100 PA's RF/PH, depth, September call up

2018: 300 PA's platoon RF, DH depth

2019: 300 PA's platoon RF, DH depth

2020: 500 PA's full time DH(Trumbo contract expired)

just guessing with PA's but you get the point. 

I would be VERY surprised if he only got 75-100 at bats this year.  If Davis/Trumbo or any of our other corner outfielders goes down he likely becomes an everyday player.  Even as a platoon guy versus LHP he should get 200 or so at bats.  

Maybe you are assuming he is going to spend most of the year in Norfolk.  I think they will try to find a way to keep him on the big league roster for the majority of the season.  

If he has a good season at the plate and looks half way decent in RF he is probably the everyday right fielder next season.  

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, his throw home was on the money.    I'm not sure that he wasn't supposed to hit the cutoff man on that play, though, as he basically had no shot at the runner.   The other ball that came his way was a sky high fly ball near the foul line.    He got a bit of a late break on it and looked a bit awkward on the catch, but bottom line he got over there pretty easily and made the play.    

He did get down the line quickly on that ground out.    He's quicker than advertised.   

I was out right center and after that play, Mancini and Jones talked for a bit and it seemed like Jones was telling Mancini to just throw to second next time, as they really didn't have a play at the plate anyway.

The sky high ball blended with the lights for a little bit, EVERYONE lost it. It did start to drift on him a bit towards the line as the wind kicked in, but nothing worse than some others.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I would be VERY surprised if he only got 75-100 at bats this year.  If Davis/Trumbo or any of our other corner outfielders goes down he likely becomes an everyday player.  Even as a platoon guy versus LHP he should get 200 or so at bats.  

Maybe you are assuming he is going to spend most of the year in Norfolk.  I think they will try to find a way to keep him on the big league roster for the majority of the season.  

If he has a good season at the plate and looks half way decent in RF he is probably the everyday right fielder next season.  

I'm just hoping injuries don't happen. If they do he could easily get over 75-100 PA's. If not I see him only being a situational Call up to face a LH SP, but even then he'd have to hit well and Gentry struggle.  I think he can have a nice little niche on this team for the long term. 

The next question is that will he or Gentry start in RF vs CC on Sunday. Usually Buck tries to get his bench guys a start in the first week of the season. Except for Kim last year. While Gentry will finish most games in RF he still needs AB's.

I think Buck will go with Gentry on Sunday. Joseph will catch on either Saturday or Sunday too. Not sure if Flaherty will play. 

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know he has a grand slam against the Red Sox.

But even if he does do you think that amount of data means anything?

And even if it does why put him in the outfield when he's a utility infield?

His GS against the sox was in OPACY. But yes, I get the point. You have to wonder if Buck feels his experience off the Green monster plus is OBP/AVG in Fenway doesn't outweigh any of the infielders' D & O. I'm not pulling Manny, Schoop or Davis for Flaherty. Maybe it's a good series to give Hardy a rest at least for one game.

Archived