Best Internal Solution To 1B?

Boston Dave

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best option is the one Tony mentioned - draft a Wieters-like college first baseman who'll be ready to play in the majors by sometime in 2010.

With the new stadium the Yanks might offer Tex 6/180. In any case the O's have to assume it'll take quite a bit more than $20M a year to get him.

Any internal options would be short-term, stopgap measures. Huff, Hernandez, Millar... those guys would have to absolutely bust through any reasonable predictions just to be average in 2009. Rowell is the only semi-plausible guy in the system right now.

Yep it seems the O's draft board ought to have Alvarez, Smoak, G Beckham, and Alonzo at the top, in whatever order... the HSers and pitchers should be behind them, save perhaps for Tim Beckham.

Yet it seems Matusz is getting a lot of mention as the O's top target.

Yep it seems the O's draft board ought to have Alvarez, Smoak, G Beckham, and Alonzo at the top, in whatever order... the HSers and pitchers should be behind them, save perhaps for Tim Beckham.

Yet it seems Matusz is getting a lot of mention as the O's top target.

Yes, someone acknowledges this. That is pretty much my draft board since day 1. You look back to the top 5 choices in the draft and mine are Smoak, Alvarez, G. Beckham, Hosmer, and Matusz, in that order. Even on Tim Beckham, people think we would draft him because of our shortstop problem. Well he wont be ready for at least 3 years, probably more. He is not like Gordon, who might be able to jump in soon. If we got to him, we will take him because he is the best guy available. We cant wait 4 years for our SS solution. Of course bearing a good stopgap. We need that solution now. A future 1b with power or 3b with power, is something we don't have and always need. That is what we need to prepare for.

Yes, someone acknowledges this. That is pretty much my draft board since day 1. You look back to the top 5 choices in the draft and mine are Smoak, Alvarez, G. Beckham, Hosmer, and Matusz, in that order. Even on Tim Beckham, people think we would draft him because of our shortstop problem. Well he wont be ready for at least 3 years, probably more. He is not like Gordon, who might be able to jump in soon. If we got to him, we will take him because he is the best guy available. We cant wait 4 years for our SS solution. Of course bearing a good stopgap. We need that solution now. A future 1b with power or 3b with power, is something we don't have and always need. That is what we need to prepare for.

I'd draft the best player available. As it is, neither is a guarantee to be a above average major leaguer, so draft the guy most likely to make it.

We'll have to find an interim SS solution either way (Tim or Gordon)

Here are the potential FA 1b available next season...

Ben Broussard (32)

Sean Casey (34)

Tony Clark (37)

Carlos Delgado (37) - $16MM mutual option for '09 with a $4MM buyout

Nomar Garciaparra (35)

Jason Giambi (38) - $22MM club option for '09 with a $5MM buyout

Scott Hatteberg (39)

Eric Hinske (31)

Doug Mientkiewicz (35)

Kevin Millar (37)

Richie Sexson (34)

Mark Teixeira (29)

Not exactly an attractive group of mostly aging players....I know I'm going to alienate most of the posters here, BUT:

I agree Tex is a premium player, and I understand that PA loves him, and I understand that he's a local hero and finally I understand that we have the $$$$; but that doesn't mean we should pay that kind of money for Tex or anybody. I am sure there are plenty of above average - premium players (not of Tex's quality) who we could find to replace Millar and any of our current players at 1B for next year and several years into the future.

OK...I'm done!

I'm surprised no one has Luke Scott moving to 1B, with Hernandez getting about 30 games

Scott is a poor man's Joe Orzsulak in LF.

Unlike Gibbons who makes Trax look like an All-Star, Hernandez and Huff have just enough productivity to make them not worth dumping this year.

That leaves Millar on the outside looking in, even though he has the most value of the 3 ( Huff and Hernandez ) if all were free agents.

I'm surprised no one has Luke Scott moving to 1B, with Hernandez getting about 30 games

Scott is a poor man's Joe Orzsulak in LF.

Scott is too short to play 1B. Looking at their options, I'd hold open tryouts at OPACY if I were AM.

From everyting i'm bring told we will pull an all out assult to sign Tex. I'm also hearing we'll deal Ramon Hernandez this offseason and Wieters will be the starting 2009 catcher. Very doubtful Roberts gets traded. Will try to trade Payton, Walker and Bradford at the deadline. The organization is very happy with Huff at DH. He worked hard this off season and is producing as well as any DH in baseball right now.

From everyting i'm bring told we will pull an all out assult to sign Tex. I'm also hearing we'll deal Ramon Hernandez this offseason and Wieters will be the starting 2009 catcher. Very doubtful Roberts gets traded. Will try to trade Payton, Walker and Bradford at the deadline. The organization is very happy with Huff at DH. He worked hard this off season and is producing as well as any DH in baseball right now.

Great news BB. Thanks for the update. I miss hearing your regular updates from years past.

I don't know if can Scott can play 1B, but 6'0" is too short? Tell that to Rafael Palmeiro (6'0") and Kevin Millar (6'0").

And Rod Carew (1184 games at 1B, 6'0")

Pete Rose (939 games at 1B, 5'11")

Keith Hernandez (2014 games at 1B, 6"0")

Don Mattingly (1634 games at 1B, 6'0")

Jeff Bagwell (2111 games at 1B, 6'0")

Steve Garvey (2059 games at 1B, 5'11")

:eek:

Until now, I had no idea so many 1st baseman, including many of the best fielding ones- were 6' or less.

:scratchchinhmm:

Makes sense, though I'm surprised they want to keep Huff. I would think they'd love to get rid of his salary and could get some good prospects as well because of his reputation for being an impact bat for the stretch run...

Weren't you saying you didn't think we would? Was that your opinion or is this new info?

What you hearing about the draft? Going to take the pitcher you think?

Archived