Trading Bedard

MAKEAMOVE

I for one don't get all the love shown here by some for Roberts. Personally, I think he is a tad overated especially by some Orioles fans. He steals a lot of bases is slightly above average defensively, but all in all not much of a clutch hitter if you ask me. I honestly think he is easily replacable. I would like to see Cabrera packaged with a minor league pitcher (Penn maybe) along with either Roberts and Mora and another prospect (possibly our top draft pick next year) for Texeira and Young.

Cindy in 5...4...3...2...1...

(Sorry, just playing... don't dock me any more rep points)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bedard may not want to be here right now...But who can blame him?

Perhaps if they do some things properly, he will change his tune.

Yeah, pretty much anyone would be counting down the minutes to get off a losing team. Bedard looked pretty happy in early '05 when we were winning.

This decision needs to be made relatively soon too....I think it's the most important decision that will be made in the up-coming weeks...

Do you go to him...offer him a deal, and tell him you want him to be the centerpiece of the organization, and rival Santana year in and year out?

or

Do you trade him to a NL team that is loaded with talent (AZ, LA, NY, COL) and fill some holes in your OF with young players to accompany Nick?

I mean if the O's are smart...option 1 will supercede option 2, and be a cause and effect type deal.

As much as it hurts to hear- because the main source of hope and pride of the O's rightnow is our young, up and coming pitching staff, I can't say I m surprised to hear that Bedard is counting down the minutes till he becomes a free agent.

Have you ever seen a player more disinterested during his post game interviews. He is almost rude. I know that some players don't like the media, the interviews, the attention- especially when you're losing... but wow.. after a win yesterday- he could barely even give Amber Theoharris, one of the cutest reporters out there- a 2 word response.

In addition- it all adds up if you think about it. All of the talk about Sam Perlozzo "asking" the players how they felt- and they respond, "I'm beat," or whathaveyou- I always found that strange... regardless of adrenaline or the home crowd- don't winners want to empty the tank in effort to get a "W?"

I've always quietly pondered that idea, every time Bedard exits a game after 6 or 7 innings. I just think, these guys are paid millions of dollars to pitch once every five days- and after 90-100 pitches in some cases, you're beat???

If he wants out though- it all makes sense. He doesn't care about the wins for the Orioles. he knows his value once he reaahes free agency. The best thing for him is just to stay as fresh as possible- never overextending his arm in any game for the orioles, when it could cost him down the road...

I swear, I get more disheartened every day as an Orioles fan hearing stuff like that. I guess it's only a matter of time before Markakis is close to free agency and counting the minutes till he can play right field for the Red Sox!

This decision needs to be made relatively soon too....I think it's the most important decision that will be made in the up-coming weeks...

Do you go to him...offer him a deal, and tell him you want him to be the centerpiece of the organization, and rival Santana year in and year out?

or

Do you trade him to a NL team that is loaded with talent (AZ, LA, NY, COL) and fill some holes in your OF with young players to accompany Nick?

I mean if the O's are smart...option 1 will supercede option 2, and be a cause and effect type deal.

Since he's not a free agent until after the 2009 season, why is it the most important decision in the coming weeks? He may not want to sign an extension now, but in 2008 or even in 2009, he may if the club starts to turn things around and he's winning games...

As much as it hurts to hear- because the main source of hope and pride of the O's rightnow is our young, up and coming pitching staff, I can't say I m surprised to hear that Bedard is counting down the minutes till he becomes a free agent.

Have you ever seen a player more disinterested during his post game interviews. He is almost rude. I know that some players don't like the media, the interviews, the attention- especially when you're losing... but wow.. after a win yesterday- he could barely even give Amber Theoharris, one of the cutest reporters out there- a 2 word response.

Not every player is like a Kevin Millar when it comes to press... there are plenty of players that are not as open to the press. Eddie Murray and Mike Mussina come to mind...

Since he's not a free agent until after the 2009 season, why is it the most important decision in the coming weeks? He may not want to sign an extension now, but in 2008 or even in 2009, he may if the club starts to turn things around and he's winning games...

It's about direction...

If you consider offers for Bedard, than I think you need to blow the whole damn thing up...tablula rosa...wipe it clean

If you make him your centerpiece, then I think you only need to look at getting rid of some dead weight, but keeping some of the bigger names (Roberts, Ramon, DCab, Mora, Ray, etc)

It's about direction...

If you consider offers for Bedard, than I think you need to blow the whole damn thing up...tablula rosa...wipe it clean

If you make him your centerpiece, then I think you only need to look at getting rid of some dead weight, but keeping some of the bigger names (Roberts, Ramon, DCab, Mora, Ray, etc)

Well, I'm sure MacPhail would be open to hearing about offers for him, but right know with the emphasis on pitching, he'd have to blown away. I'd say Cabrera is more expendable than Bedard right know and he's not a free agent until after 2010.

Bedard needs to be extended or traded between now and July 31 of 2008. Waiting until 2009 shouldn't be an option IMO.

Ideally, you go to him now with a 4 year extension in hand..You offer somewhere between 32-40 million...Include a 5th year option for 12-15 million.

If he says no to that, you look to trade him now but you do not do it for less than 3 players unless the 2 players are amazing prospects/young ML talent.

His arm is healthy and his trade value is at an all time high. If he doesn't want to sign here, this seems like the best time to trade him. If you wait, there's always the chance of an injury or even poor performance.

I have been thinking about this for about a week. I have gotten to the point where I can rationalize trading our highest value player. Before you jump down my throat about how he is untouchable, here out my suggestion. I am only trading Bedard to the NL, and to a team that NEEDS a starter to make a run this year. This team is the NY Mets. Here are some reasons why:

1. They have a GM and fan base that DESPERATELY want a championship. Teams like that usually tend to give up a lot un return.

2. IN this trade, I believe that you can get 3 top prospects. My desire would be Lastings Milledge, Pelfrey, and their Centerfield prospect Gomez (young kid from Dominican, very fast and good definsively, good average hitter).

If they get Bedard, they get a cheap, cy young type NL pitcher for cheap that is not a rental. they get him for a couple years and could even extend him. Bedard in the right trade could get us a lot. thoughts?

No way the Mets do this. Milledge and Pelfrey still have incredibly high ceilings and some think that Gomez could be the next Sizemore. Minaya isn't that dumb.

I see both sides as I have said before. He seems to be our most valuable trade piece for all the reasons we have mentioned but to expect his trade to hinge on whether he signs an extension right now is unreasonable. Sorry if I am oversimplifying. Mark is dead on, there are other more important decisions I think. Heck, we have all said it here as well, I am glad Andy Mac is here and I have heard all the words, now I will wait for you to show me something! Don't you think Erik feels the same?

If you are getting an awesome return on Bedard then great, and I think he is the player most likey to get the awesome return, but we have all debated that ad nauseum in about 20 other threads. No one is really irreplacable (sorry Cindy) and even I hate saying it cause I love Kakes. With the position our team is in, listen to every single offer that comes. Some should have a much higher asking price than others obviously, but I think a great G.M. has an evaluated value on every single player.

If you trade Erik, win the jackpot. If you can't we have him for 2 more years and hopefully he, like us, sees the change and is willing to stay an Oriole. If next year we haven't taken the steps we want, trade him. He will still have 1 1/2 yrs on a contract and be only 29. Still sounds pretty valuable to me and by then we have a better look at Reimold, Rowell, Loewen off injury, Penn, Olsen, Hoey, Weiters, etc... so we can better evaluate the pieces we need.

If anything, you extend Bedard - you do not trade him.

Bedard, Guthrie, Loewen and Cabrera are our future. I would only trade Cabrera if blown away by a deal. To me, he will be the very best #4 or 5 starter any team has. Starting pitching is not a problem and we should not make it a problem by trading away our best. Bedard leads the AL in strikeouts and should have 8 or 9 wins. Guthrie easily could also have 8 or 9 wins with the second lowest ERA. Loewen was our best pitcher before he got injured. Do not trade any of these 3. Again - I also keep Cabrera unless blown away. Trade Trachsel while he still has value. The Dodgers would likely be interested.

As far as position players - only Markakis is untouchable.

I think it's hilarious that a flimsy rumor from another city's paper's "source" with the Orioles that Bedard wants to pitch for Toronto turns into "Bedard is counting down the minutes" until he's a free agent.

Archived