Orioles Acquire Miguel Castro Designate Gunkel

weams

Castro has had a weird minor league history. 17 innings of rookie ball, no innings of short-season or low A, 13 and a third innings at high A, no innings at Double AA, and 49 innings at AAA.

That is the kind of thing that happens with a four year college senior that is drafted in the 35th round, not a kid signed as a teenager from the DR.

Yeah, this guy was a top prospect and highly viewed in Toronto. Was a key piece to that Tulo deal and is still just 22. Am I missing something? Anyone have a good read/scouting report on him now? Even if he struggled in COL (I know he was in majors, and at 22 is quite young). Could be a sneaky good pickup here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Wonder why DD is making all these moves. 

A former top prospect who throws big time heat at age 22 that likely isn't far off when we lack much of a farm? I'm surprised COL let him go even with his struggles. Way too young with too much upside to give up on.

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

Wonder why DD is making all these moves. 

DD can never have enough pitching depth. Basically he replaced Alvarez and Gunkle with two pitchers who may be able to help the Orioles this year. It was clear how fast Gunkle was sent to the minor league camp that his future with the club was in doubt.

Just now, dan-O said:

Don't think you're missing anything. Struggled in the majors, but basically skipped AA, which is where we're sending him. Good move.

I'm pretty damn excited about this then.

This guy was viewed as a future high end backend BP arm and is sooo young. Even if he doesn't work out this is a tremendous value pickup by DD.

Really like what DD has done with the lack of farm system we have with Santander and now Castro. Both of these guys can be players for us for the long haul if they reach their potential.

According to Brooks Baseball

Miguel Castro has thrown 678 pitches that have been tracked by the PITCHf/x system between 2015 and 2017, including pitches thrown in the MLB Regular Season and Spring Training. In 2017, he has relied primarily on his Fourseam Fastball (97mph), also mixing in a Slider (85mph). He also rarely throws a Sinker (97mph).

BETA Feature:
Basic description of 2017 pitches compared to other RHP:
His fourseam fastball generates an extremely high number of swings & misses compared to other pitchers' fourseamers, has heavy sinking action, has an obvious tail, is blazing fast and results in somewhat more flyballs compared to other pitchers' fourseamers. His slider (take this with a grain of salt because he's only thrown 7 of them in 2017) generates an extremely high number of swings & misses compared to other pitchers' sliders, is an extreme flyball pitch compared to other pitchers' sliders, has primarily 12-6 movement and has some two-plane movement. His sinker (take this with a grain of salt because he's only thrown 1 of them in 2017) has heavy sinking action, is basically never swung at and missed compared to other pitchers' sinkers, is thrown at a speed that's borderline unfair, is an extreme flyball pitch compared to other pitchers' sinkers and has slight armside run. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

DD can never have enough pitching depth. Basically he replaced Alvarez and Gunkle with two pitchers who may be able to help the Orioles this year. It was clear how fast Gunkle was sent to the minor league camp that his future with the club was in doubt.

Yep. I was never impressed with Gunkel. 

Good moves here DD. Hats off.

Alvarez would have been removed regardless. 

Who is most vulnerable on 40 now after Drake?

top must be BLEIER after last night then Bridwell? Excluding Santander. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rene88 said:

Yep. I was never impressed with Gunkel. 

Good moves here DD. Hats off.

Alvarez would have been removed regardless. 

Who is most vulnerable on 40 now after Drake?

top must be BLEIER after last night then Bridwell? Excluding Santander. 

Santander could go on the backdated 60 day DL if they wanted.