Mock Draft: 5-29-08

Would Gordon Beckham be much of a reach at #4? We need a franchise SS and he could also have pretty decent power in the majors.

Any chance of us taking Posey and putting him somewhere other than catcher? Can't he play a lot of positions?

The Rays, an organization with a good eye for talent, are considering both Beckhams at #1, so I think it's fair to say that Gordon Beckham at #4 wouldn't be a "reach". I have him lower than fourth on my board, but he has merit to the O's.

As far as Posey being taken with an eye on a position other than catcher... I don't see it.

The Rays, an organization with a good eye for talent, are considering both Beckhams at #1, so I think it's fair to say that Gordon Beckham at #4 wouldn't be a "reach". I have him lower than fourth on my board, but he has merit to the O's.

As far as Posey being taken with an eye on a position other than catcher... I don't see it.

I would rather see the O's draft David Beckham than take Gordon over Smoak. People are WAY to stuck on using this 1st round pick to file the SS hole that we have. This is not the NFL draft. You don't draft a player to fill a hole on your major league team.

I would rather see the O's draft David Beckham than take Gordon over Smoak. People are WAY to stuck on using this 1st round pick to file the SS hole that we have. This is not the NFL draft. You don't draft a player to fill a hole on your major league team.

We agree... I wouldn't take GBeck. Rather I was just answering his post as to GBeck's merits.

We agree... I wouldn't take GBeck. Rather I was just answering his post as to GBeck's merits.

Sorry buddy. I wasn't talking about your response. I have just actually had a break from work and have been reading some threads again. I keep noticing that whatever the draft subject is, someone chimes in and says we should draft G. Beckham because we need a SS. I just think people need to not pin their hopes on this draft to fill that hole. I think alot of people will be disappointed if they do and will have bad feelings toward the player that we do draft. Especially if we don't fill that SS hole by next season. I don't want to see people disappointed at getting a good player like Smoak or Matusz. We should be excited to put talent into the system like that.

But it's arguable that he is a top 4 player. There's no proof that he'll only be the 7th or 8th best player in the draft.

Based on what MacPhail has said, if the O's draft him at 4, it's because they think he'll be the best player of the players remaining.

But it's arguable that he is a top 4 player. There's no proof that he'll only be the 7th or 8th best player in the draft.

Based on what MacPhail has said, if the O's draft him at 4, it's because they think he'll be the best player of the players remaining.

Which I would accept. If people said....I want G. Beckham. I think he will be a better ML player than J. Smoak I wouldn't say anything. That is their opinion and who am I to judge, but I never see that. I always see, "Hey, what about G. Beckham? How much of a reach would it be to take him at 4? We really need a SS." That is what gets to me. Don't reach on a player because there is a hole in the ML team.

Sorry buddy. I wasn't talking about your response. I have just actually had a break from work and have been reading some threads again. I keep noticing that whatever the draft subject is, someone chimes in and says we should draft G. Beckham because we need a SS. I just think people need to not pin their hopes on this draft to fill that hole. I think alot of people will be disappointed if they do and will have bad feelings toward the player that we do draft. Especially if we don't fill that SS hole by next season. I don't want to see people disappointed at getting a good player like Smoak or Matusz. We should be excited to put talent into the system like that.

Agreed. Take the better player, and if the O's rank him ahead of the others when we pick, so be it. :)

See, there's saying that the O's need a SS (not a good reason to draft somebody), and then there's saying that Smoak may have better numbers, but G. Beckham will be more valuable to the O's because he plays SS (a more valuable position for offense to come from), which is a valid reason to rate someone higher.

Which I would accept. If people said....I want G. Beckham. I think he will be a better ML player than J. Smoak I wouldn't say anything. That is their opinion and who am I to judge, but I never see that. I always see, "Hey, what about G. Beckham? How much of a reach would it be to take him at 4? We really need a SS." That is what gets to me. Don't reach on a player because there is a hole in the ML team.

Well put Weblink

Why w/Tampa take Alvarez when they already have Longorria?

Multiple positional projections for Pedro. He seems to have the athleticism/ability to man all four corner positions (1B/3B/LF/RF). Longoria could move to 2B, OR Alvarez could move across to 1B and supplant Pena, OR he could play in the outfield. PA doesn't appear to be blocked. :)

Mooneyham would be a solid projection pick, but I really think he'd be tough to sign. He's a boras guy, so we'd most likely have to spend overslot to get him, and I'd rather distribute some of that money to get better talent in rounds 2-5 rather than burn it a a projectable yet inconsistent high school arm.

Archived