Favorite Quotes from Baseball Players

Greg Pappas

Here are a few of Yogi Berra's... post some of your own! :)

• " It ain't over 'til it's over "

• "Never answer an anonymous letter"

• " I usually take a two hour nap from one to four"

• " When you come to a fork in the road....Take it "

• " I didn't really say everything I said "

• Yogi on the 1969 NY Mets....." overwhelming underdogs "

• When asked what time is was......" you mean now?"

• Yogi Berra day in St Louis 1947 - " I want to thank you for making this day necessary" .

• On why NY lost the 1960 series to Pittsburgh " We made too many wrong mistakes"

• " You can observe a lot by watching "

• " The future ain't what it used to be "

• " It gets late early out here"

• " If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be "

• “ If the people don't want to come out to the ballpark, nobody's going to stop them "

• "This is like deja vu all over again."

• "He must have made that before he died." -- Referring to a Steve McQueen movie.

• "I want to thank you for making this day necessary." -- On Yogi Berra Appreciation Day in St. Louis in 1947.

• "I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it." -- When asked what he would do if he found a million dollars.

• "Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?"

• "You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."

• "I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early."

• "If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."

• "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."

• "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

• "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

• "It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."

• "Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting."

• "A nickel isn't worth a dime today."

• "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

• "It gets late early out there." -- Referring to the bad sun conditions in left field at the stadium.

• Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" Yogi replied, "Surprise me."

• "I take a two hour nap, from one o'clock to four."

• "You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."

• "90% of the putts that are short don't go in."

• "Thanks, you don't look so hot yourself." -- After being told he looked cool.

• "I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

• "Yeah, but we're making great time!" -- In reply to "Hey Yogi, I think we're lost."

• "If the fans don't come out to the ball park, you can't stop them."

• "Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel."

• "It's never happened in the World Series competition, and it still hasn't."

• "I'd say he's done more than that." -- When asked if first baseman Don Mattingly had exceeded expectations for the current season.

• "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."

• "I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat, and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?"

• "It ain't the heat; it's the humility."

• "The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."

• "You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours."

Ralph Kiner

I remember something like "Well there's no one up in the bullpen, so he's going to have to relieve himself on the mound."

Other Kiner-isms:

"All of his saves have come in relief appearances"

"All of the Mets road wins against the Dodgers this year occurred at Dodger Stadium."

"Kevin McReynolds stops at third and he scores."

"Now up to bat for the Mets is Gary Cooper."

"On Fathers Day, we again wish you all happy birthday."

"Solo homers usually come with no one on base."

"(Don) Sutton lost thirteen games in a row without winning a ballgame."

"The reason the Mets have played so well at Shea this year is they have the best home record in baseball."

When people comment about Stan Musial being happy all the time, his standard line is, "If you had a career batting average of .331, you'd be happy too."

ps: Career OPS of .976 over 22 years, but nobody of his generation thinks in terms of that.

When people comment about Stan Musial being happy all the time, his standard line is, "If you had a career batting average of .331, you'd be happy too."

ps: Career OPS of .976 over 22 years, but nobody of his generation thinks in terms of that.

Wow, that's a funny line. He must be one of those guys at a dinner party, like a Neil Armstrong, who quietly let's some loud-mouth extoll his great worldly accomplishments only to wait their turn and say... "I walked on the Moon." Or "I batted .331 for my career." :D

I'm sure an Oriole said something funny at some point.

What about when Eric DuBose was pulled over for a DUI, and the officer asked him to recite the alphabet. His response: "I'm from Alabama, and we have a different alphabet."

What about when Eric DuBose was pulled over for a DUI, and the officer asked him to recite the alphabet. His response: "I'm from Alabama, and we have a different alphabet."

haha. :laughlol: That's the south for ya.

Archived