Hosmer's hype and projection out of high school vs. Rowell's

Just wanted to compare the hype Hosmer is receiving, and the type of numbers that are being projected of him coming out of high school versus the hype and projection Rowell received when he came out in '06.

Is Hosmer a "safer" pick compared to Rowell? Is he more of a sure thing?

Just wanted to compare the hype Hosmer is receiving, and the type of numbers that are being projected of him coming out of high school versus the hype and projection Rowell received when he came out in '06.

Is Hosmer a "safer" pick compared to Rowell? Is he more of a sure thing?

Rowell was considered among the top two or three HS bats in his draft, but did not appear to be considered among the very top prospects in 2006 per the media.

Hosmer is considered by some to be among the best HS bats in 10+.

So if they were both coming out in the same year, Hosmer is probably taken before Rowell, and projects to be the better hitter?

Yes. Were Rowell coming out this year, he'd likely be a mid-first rounder.

Rowell's level of competituion in NJ was was low, especially compared to Hosmer's #1 ranked team in Florida. Rowell may turn out to be a better player than Hosmer, but for me and very likely most draft 'experts' Hosmer is the superior hitter.

Greg,

Is there ANY chance that the Rays take Hosmer with the first pick?

I'll answer that. No. There is not. They have no need for him, and they would like to pick either Beckham or Posey, according to Stark, Olney, and just about every insider there is. They're not even CONSIDERING it. OF course, I guess anything is possible.

Greg,

Is there ANY chance that the Rays take Hosmer with the first pick?

The answer appears to be no. The word is that they've narrowed their list to 3 players, whom I believe to be Tim Beckham, Buster Posey and either Pedro Alvarez or Brian Matusz.

I don't believe that furryburres' post that said that the Rays have no need for Hosmer is correct, as he would be a great addition to their organization and the heir apparent to Carlos Pena. However, I think that the Rays are seemingly set on one of those other great players.

The answer appears to be no. The word is that they've narrowed their list to 3 players, whom I believe to be Tim Beckham, Buster Posey and either Pedro Alvarez or Brian Matusz.

I don't believe that furryburres' post that said that the Rays have no need for Hosmer is correct, as he would be a great addition to their organization and the heir apparent to Carlos Pena. However, I think that the Rays are seemingly set on one of those other great players.

I was thinking the same thing about Hosmer. They don't really have a whole lot of positional needs right now, so why not go for him since he may wind up being the best hitter of the bunch? Pena's still got quite a few years left, so they could let Hosmer develop.

Archived