The Thread in which we post LF'ers we should go after

SilentJames

However Knott could solve the LF problem as could Gibbons if he gets straightened out. That would be great. It's a long shot but it could happen.

Actually, I think a Gibbons/Knott platoon probably wouldn't be bad in LF, provided (as you said) that Gibbons gets himself together. We would certainly not be able to have Payton as a full time CF if one of these two is always patrolling LF, though.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, I think a Gibbons/Knott platoon probably wouldn't be bad in LF, provided (as you said) that Gibbons gets himself together. We would certainly not be able to have Payton as a full time CF if one of these two is always patrolling LF, though.

That's what I'd do for the rest of the year. Heck, that's what I would have done from day one. Platoon Patterson and Payton in center, and Knott/Gibbons in left. Probably spot the RH half of each against the occasional righty, Payton more than Knott. Couldn't hurt. The rest of this year is all about finding out what we have, and trying to get rid of as many bad contracts and declining players as possible. There has to be some chance one or two of Gibbons, Patterson and Payton get hot enough to flip for something with a little value.

How is Fiorentino's defense? (Isn't he a Centerfielder??).

I wouldn't expect a lot of HR power from him, but wouldn't

he be a cheap, immediate upgrade on Patterson? Or is

his defense much much worse, rather than merely step

down?

Elliot

His defense isn't close to Patterson - it's several steps back. And not only that, he's chugging along with a .279/.353./377 in AA Bowie, repeating the Eastern League as a 24-year-old. The Fiorentino train is seriously off track. Right now he's actually a downgrade compared to Patterson.

Just for giggles does anyone have a list of outfield free agents for this off season?

I'm sure most of it is 34-year-olds falling through 85% or 90% of their age-28 peak, and expecting $14M a season through 2013.

Nothing says rebuilding like "backloaded $18M for a 39th birthday present!"

I'm sure most of it is 34-year-olds falling through 85% or 90% of their age-28 peak, and expecting $14M a season through 2013.

Nothing says rebuilding like "backloaded $18M for a 39th birthday present!"

It's that (Dye, Abreu, Green, etc), completely over the hill guys living out one year contract at a time (Gonzalez, Alou, etc), and 4th OF/platoon guys like Michaels, Kielty, Mackowiak, Wilkerson, Hinkse, DaVanon, etc.

Good, I personally don't want him. I don't think the Cubs have what we need for Bedard. Maybe Tejada but not Bedard.

Fascinating.

22 year old 5-tool CFs with more upside than Nick Markakis aren't your thing huh?

Fascinating.

22 year old 5-tool CFs with more upside than Nick Markakis aren't your thing huh?

Would I take him if he was being given away or even if I was dealing one of my lesser players? Sure. But I don't want him as the main piece of a package for Bedard. Sorry, I just don't like the guy as much as most people do. Poor plate discipline and terrible base stealing instincts. He can certainly improve, he's only 22, but strike zone knowledge/vision and base running instincts often don't improve. For every Carl Crawford there are at least five Corey Pattersons.

But the point of this thread isn't to debate Felix Pie (and I realize that I started it! ;) ) , because as you said, we're not going to get him anyway.

Fascinating.

Same argument you would have used for CPat, right?

BTW, the Cubs definitely don't hav the goods to get Bedard..Many teams would/could blow them out of the water.

Same argument you would have used for CPat, right?

BTW, the Cubs definitely don't hav the goods to get Bedard..Many teams would/could blow them out of the water.

And Markakis is Larry Bigbie v2.0. Two can play that game.

LOL at "don't have the goods". The Cubs have got more than enough goods.

The wisdom of spending them on Bedard is highly debatable, but you're insane if you don't think they've got more than enough to make an offer that's ridiculously lopsided in the O's favor.

I am a big Duncan fan. I would move him to 1st base though if we got him.

Duncan was defensively challenged at 1st base too. He's improved in the outfield. Some Cardinals fans were ecstatic over the degree of improvement, based upon some highlight reel catches early in the season, but I think they're coming to realize that he's still only average -- at best -- when it comes to playing left field.

I like his bat well enough to play him in left field, right field, or at 1st base (though not over the incumbent), but I still believe that designated hitter would be his best position. Right now, he should be playing every day in left field for the Cardinals, instead of sitting out half the time against southpaws.

Chris began the season hot, but tailed off in May quite a bit. I didn't think that he was doing much better, but I see that his OPS for June is back up to .941. He's still striking out a lot, though.

I personally would like to see the Cardinals trade Duncan to the White Sox for Mark Buehrle, but I doubt if it's going to happen. I don't think that Chris is going anyplace while Dave Duncan remains the Cardinals pitching coach. There is a lot of speculation now that La Russa and/or Jocketty might leave the Cardinals after the 2007 season; in that case, Chris Duncan would be a lot more likely to be traded to an American League team where he could DH.

For the first time in years, I believe the Cardinals MIGHT have a decent crop of position prospects, especially in the outfield. In fact, they have such a surplus of outfield prospects that they loaned one to the Minatitlan Petroleros of the Mexican League and shifted a couple others to 1st base/designated hitter so that everyone could get at bats and playing time.

I think that John Rodriguez could probably hit for a higher average than Duncan and possibly even with as much power. Rodriguez has posted a .298/.378/.434/.812 in 388 plate appearances over the 2005/2006 seasons, but that apparently wasn't enough to keep him on the 2007 team over So Taguchi (.284/.335/.399/.734) or Skip Schumaker (.213/.273/.268/541). Rodriguez was injured in April and he wasn't hitting, but he appears to be past the injuries now and his OPS for the 2007 season is up to .853.

With Schumaker struggling early in the 2007 season, Ryan Ludwick got a promotion from Memphis, where he was among the PCL leaders in home runs and RBIs. Ludwick also struggled for a while in the majors, but appears like he might be finding his balance now, with 4 home runs (including a 14th inning walkoff) and a .965 OPS in June with the Cardinals.

I personally believe that Rick Ankiel will be the Cardinals right fielder of the future. Rick has 20 home runs and 54 RBIs with Memphis in just 63 games. His home run rate of 1 every 11.9 at bats will probably taper off when he faces major league curve balls. Rich only has 12 walks against 54 strikeouts, but he's only got a total of about 700 at bats in professional baseball over 8 seasons and I think that Rick's walk/strikeout ratios may improve acceptably with more experience. Rick has been playing center for Memphis, but I've seen his speed described as "good" and as "average to above average", so some scouts believe his best position will be in right. His wildness on the pitching mound does not appear to have carried over to his throws from the outfield. It's said that he has the strongest outfield arm in the Cardinals system, no surprise given his pedigree.

In center, it looks as though Colby Rasmus may be ready to take that over in 2008 or in 2009 at the latest. The 20 year old has 14 home runs for AA Springfield and was named to the Texas League All Star team. He's also 11 of 11 in stolen base attempts, so you know that he can cover some ground in center.

If the Cardinals can't make up an outfield in 2008/2009 between Rodriguez, Ludwick, Ankiel, and Rasmus, they also have Juan Encarnacion on contract through 2008 and a couple other pretty good prospects in the system. Schumaker is hitting well since he was sent back down (quad A player?); Joe Mather has responded well to the promotion from AA to AAA, after hitting 18 home runs and leading the Texas League in that department for much of the season; Cuban refugee Amauri Marti was loaned out to a Mexican League team because of the glut of outfielders at the AA and AAA level in the Cardinals system and he's leading his team in home runs and RBIs.

Joe Mather is another one of these late blooming minor league hitters, like Chris Duncan and like Terry Evans, who was traded to the Angels last season for Jeff Weaver and was recently promoted to the major leagues. Mather has played both corner infield and both corner outfield positions in the minors, plus shortstop. I doubt if he could play short except in an emergency, but he could be a heckuva utility player, along the lines of Scott Spiezio, with more power.

The Cardinals also have a legitimate utility player at Memphis in Mike McCoy, who can "play every position well" according to his minor league managers. McCoy wasn't regarded as much of a hitter, but his hitting took off at Springfield this year and got him promoted to Memphis. So far, in 89 at bats with Memphis, Mike is hitting .281/.385/.438/.823 with 3 home runs and 5 stolen bases in 6 attempts. He's too much of a "flash in the pan" to take seriously at this juncture, but we'll have to take him seriously if he sustains this level of performance.

Archived