Time to Call Up Reimold

birdman57

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, because promoting a guy to the majors before he is ready is a great way to help the offense. Jones was much more successful in AAA than Reimold has been in AA and he is struggling too. How about we just all sit back and remember we are rebuilding, we are not going to win the WS this year, and let the chips fall as they may.

When we panic and start rushing prospects, we are going to destroy our rebuilding plan and be stuck in this perpetual cycle that we have been in for 11 years now.

Yes, we are rebuilding, so there's no harm in giving him a look.

Question for stat guys? What does an .859 OPS at AA translate to at the ML level?

A translation based on average productivity doesn't do much good. The problem is that the range is so large that the average loses it's meaning as a projection tool.

Awesome... so your idea of rebuilding is to continue to play players that definitively will not be part of your future, instead of players who have the chance to do so?

My idea of rebuilding is not rushing players before they're ready, because impatient fans can't stand losing close games.:rolleyestf:

My idea of rebuilding is not rushing players before they're ready, because impatient fans can't stand losing close games.:rolleyestf:

Did we rush Markakis by making him jump from AA? Will you be crying the same tune if we were to bring Reimold up now, watched him struggle a bit and then see him light it up like Nick did?

Did we rush Markakis by making him jump from AA? Will you be crying the same tune if we were to bring Reimold up now, watched him struggle a bit and then see him light it up like Nick did?

I think the point is that Nick basically forced them to do that by how he played.

They didn't plan on doing that, they didn't want to do that, Nick made them do that.

If Reimold makes them do that, that's one thing. But he hasn't yet.

I think the point is that Nick basically forced them to do that by how he played.

They didn't plan on doing that, they didn't want to do that, Nick made them do that.

If Reimold makes them do that, that's one thing. But he hasn't yet.

It's not like Reimold hasn't been tearing it up though. Either bring him to AAA or the bigs, but letting him sit in AA while he clearly has shown that he can handle the league makes no sense. His May OPS is over 1.000.

However, I see nothing wrong with bringing him up for a bit so he can get a taste of what awaits for him and what he needs to work on.

There's no comparison between Reimold's development and Nick's. Nick was a younger, much more disciplined hitter. Reimold is 3 years older at the same level and not showing as much at the plate as Nick did in AA. Reimold was quoted last winter as feeling he wasn't ready to hit ML pitching this season. If he lacks the confidence, I don't think throwing him to the wolves before he is ready is the best thing for him just because you're bored with Millar. If Millar puts up better numbers during the course of the rest of season, I doubt we will be hearing much about Reimold, unless he is moved to Norfolk and blows it up there.

Speaking for myself here, I'm not necessarily arguing against moving Reimold up. I'm looking for a better plan and a better argument for it.

As far as I know, noone outside of a few message board posters has ever projected Reimold to be the starting LF'er in '09. This recent post posted by Tony Pente makes one wonder whether they project him to the majors at all. On cue, he started tearing it up even more after that post, though.

He's hitting .226/.342/.371/.713 against lefties in 'AA', so I don't see how he projects to be an everyday player at this point. Nor can you have him platoon with Scott. So if Scott can't hit lefties (.160/.276/.200/.476 so far in just 25 ab's) than you're still playing Payton and Millar on those days.

By the way, it's said that Reimold should have no trouble adjusting anywhere in the OF, but he's been the everyday RF'er in Bowie for some reason.

Yes, we are rebuilding, so there's no harm in giving him a look.

There could be a lot of harm in that actually, that is my concern. All this talk about Nick, he only played 33 games at AA, but he hit over .330 and then won the job with a strong showing in ST, not a promotion in season. He basically said, no, I will be on this team, but there was even still some talk about sending him down for a while until he got hot in June.

Reimold just isn't in the same class as Markakis though, injuries have derailed him a bit. He should be promoted based on deserving it, not because we are struggling offensively.

It's not like Reimold hasn't been tearing it up though. Either bring him to AAA or the bigs, but letting him sit in AA while he clearly has shown that he can handle the league makes no sense. His May OPS is over 1.000.

However, I see nothing wrong with bringing him up for a bit so he can get a taste of what awaits for him and what he needs to work on.

I agree he should go to AAA, but I think he needs some time there before he comes all the way up. I just don't think he's dominating AA enough that would indicate success at the major league level.

In other words about what you'd expect from Mora Huff and Millar? Just what we need another one of them.:rolleyestf:

You really don't see the difference in playing a young guy who is only going to improve as opposed to veterans who are past their prime? You don't see the difference in giving a kid experience for the future instead of giving AB's to guys who won't be on the next winning O's team? In the scenario, crstoner proposed, Reimold would take most of Millar's AB's. If, as you state, they'll put up similar production, you really don't see the benefit in giving a young guy experience so that he'll be better prepared for the future (next year and beyond)?

You really don't see the difference in playing a young guy who is only going to improve as opposed to veterans who are past their prime? You don't see the difference in giving a kid experience for the future instead of giving AB's to guys who won't be on the next winning O's team? In the scenario, crstoner proposed, Reimold would take most of Millar's AB's. If, as you state, they'll put up similar production, you really don't see the benefit in giving a young guy experience so that he'll be better prepared for the future (next year and beyond)?
You really don't see the difference between bringing a guy along and letting him develop to the point that he is ready to move to the next level and rushing before he is ready to the ML level where he is likely to be over matched and perhaps never recovers. Reimold is a sketchy prospect at best. I would be much less leery of bumping Wieters than Reimold, but I faill to see the hurry. Why not err on the side of caution. I don't see the down side there.

He's hitting .226/.342/.371/.713 against lefties in 'AA', so I don't see how he projects to be an everyday player at this point. Nor can you have him platoon with Scott. So if Scott can't hit lefties (.160/.276/.200/.476 so far in just 25 ab's) than you're still playing Payton and Millar on those days.

Reimold has hurt lefties in his career.

Archived