Time to Call Up Reimold

birdman57

No - as I said earlier - losing games = losing money! That is why are attendance is where it is now. The O's have been the analogy that I gave for years now... Oh - let's sign any free agent that will play here or gosh, that kids looks pretty good in AA ball, let's bring him up here and let him play.

I have a funny feeling that you and Syd Thrift would have gotten along really well!

The attendance has been robust over the past 6 years, the veteran stratagy must be working. Lets sign Bonds and Clemens to 3 year big money deals so we can win 65 games a year and increase attendance!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The attendance has been robust over the past 6 years, the veteran stratagy must be working. Lets sign Bonds and Clemens to 3 year big money deals so we can win 65 games a year and increase attendance!

As far as I am concerned, we are on the right track......finally I love sarcasm by the way

No - as I said earlier - losing games = losing money! That is why are attendance is where it is now. The O's have been the analogy that I gave for years now... Oh - let's sign any free agent that will play here or gosh, that kids looks pretty good in AA ball, let's bring him up here and let him play.

I have a funny feeling that you and Syd Thrift would have gotten along really well!

I have a funny feeling your reading comprehension is awful. He's looked good for a year at AA. Why not give him a shot in a year that we should be focusing on player development? Your losing games=losing money is ridiculous. You really think playing Millar less and giving Reimold some AB's will lose us that many more games? That's crazy. At this point, fans are going to come regardless of who is out there. Our attendance has bottomed out, so don't worry about that. Better to aim towards realistically winning in a couple years by developing young guys than being silly and insulting fans by playing washed-up "names" as we've done the last decade.

The attendance has been robust of they past 6 years, the veteran stratagy must be working. Lets sign Bonds and Clemens to 3 year big money deals so we can win 65 games a year and increase attendance!

The past couple of years the O's have had no sense of direction. What I am saying is that now that they do have a direction and they are winning - let's play out the string. Perhaps they will continue to win and the attendance will pick up. If it does, we generate more revenue to throw back into the system. I don't think you just blow it up because you want to see if a couple of guys in the minors can hit big league hitting before you know if they can hit AAA hitting.

If you are going to try to establish yourself as an organization that does things the right way, you do it whether you are winning or losing.

If the organization doesn't bring him up you seem to be saying that means he's not ready. Does this mean that if the organization calls him up next week that he obviously is ready? Are you on board with whatever the organization decides to do with Reimold?

They would have had him at ST longer if they thought he was ready. He would have been in Norfolk by now. I think what McP said makes it pretty clear what their attitude is about rushing players is.

When they bring him up next week I'll express my opinion on that. Do you believe there is some other reason for his not being here? Some sinister conspiracy involving preference for veterans no matter how bad they are? Once again what is the down side of being cautious with Reimold? How will it hurt him to wait until Sept. to bring him up?

The past couple of years the O's have had no sense of direction. What I am saying is that now that they do have a direction and they are winning - let's play out the string. Perhaps they will continue to win and the attendance will pick up. If it does, we generate more revenue to throw back into the system. I don't think you just blow it up because you want to see if a couple of guys in the minors can hit big league hitting before you know if they can hit AAA hitting.

If you are going to try to establish yourself as an organization that does things the right way, you do it whether you are winning or losing.

A: they are not winning. 3 under in last place.

B: I thought the direction was getting younger and player for '09 or '10

And doing things the right way does not include playing mediocre veterans when there are young guys who can replace them and possibly help out long-term. Sure, we finally have a sense of direction now but that's not because we are playing guys like Mora, Millar, Ramon, etc, it's in spite of that. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that. Stop talking about attendence and how it's somehow tied to people coming out to watch mediocre veterans. People want to see more young guys who will be around in a couple years when we're actually ready to compete.

They would have had him at ST longer if they thought he was ready. He would have been in Norfolk by now. I think what McP said makes it pretty clear what their attitude is about rushing players is.

When they bring him up next week I'll express my opinion on that. Do you believe there is some other reason for his not being here? Some sinister conspiracy involving preference for veterans no matter how bad they are? Once again what is the down side of being cautious with Reimold? How will it hurt him to wait until Sept. to bring him up?

Not a conspiracy, just a poor decision. Teams make them all the time.

No, as I said earlier, you don't just arbitrarily send up any prospect in the minors. A guy like Reimold who is close may as well get a chance. He is hitting well over his last year at AA. We are rebuilding, we don't care about wins and losses, why not give him experience against the best in an effort to get him better prepared for next year?
Last year in 186 ABhe hit:.306 .365 .565 930 with 11 HR and 34 RBI. This year in 188 AB he is hitting:.277 .373 .468 841 with 6 HR and 22 RBI. How is that an improvement? I grant you his K/BB is improved , but why not see how he does against the better pitching in AAA?

All you have done in this thread is crap on the opinions of others while making vague assumptions that have been explained to you.

Why not tell us why:

1) They aren't ready for the majors. Please use what was said in the thread by others and argue against it instead of insults and eye-rolls.

2) We shouldn't be willing to take a chance on bringing guys up who could contribute long-term (especially when in the short-term it is unlikely they would be considerably worse then those they would replace) in a year when we aren't going to compete.

We'll be waiting.

I think everyone's missing El Gordo's point because of how he's choosing to express it. (And for the record, his opinion was dismissed out of hand first.)

I don't think he's interested in making a firm 100% argument that Reimold should stay in the minors at this point. His point is that a message board poster isn't in a better position to determine whether he should be called up than Stockstill/MacPhail.

As a poster who leans toward the patient approach myself, I find that it feels like every player who's playing above league average at any level gets a handful of threads insisting he get called up to the majors. (Yes, this is an exaggeration.) Discussing it is fine, but expect a variety of viewpoints.

I read concerning Reimold, "I can't understand why on Earth he's still in 'AA'."

I think, "Do you even know that a couple weeks ago, he was still below league average in a bunch of categories??!!"

If it's such a slam dunk that Reimold should be moved, what are the seventeen players with higher OPS's doing in his league?

Sure, you can make an argument for Reimold to the majors, but it's not some obvious decision. You're talking about:

1. A guy who's playing RF everyday.

2. A guy who's not getting rave reviews from scouts recently.

You're talking about moving Scott to 1b/DH so that Reimold can play almost everyday? Is that a good idea? Scott played four games at 1b back in Kinston (A+) in 2002. That's it.

Is RF his natural position? If so and if they don't believe in him, are they keeping him in 'AA' (and out of pitchers' haven Norfolk) where he can post big numbers to keep his trade value up?

We don't know the whole story concerning why he is where he is. It's presumptious to act like we know definitively that he should be moved.

How will it hurt to get him AB's now? We are not competing...wh ynot let him take his lumps now? The more AB's in Baltimore he gets this year, the better prepared he will be to really help the club next season and in the future so in a sense it could hurt to wait until Septemeber.

I have a funny feeling your reading comprehension is awful. He's looked good for a year at AA. Why not give him a shot in a year that we should be focusing on player development? Your losing games=losing money is ridiculous. You really think playing Millar less and giving Reimold some AB's will lose us that many more games? That's crazy. At this point, fans are going to come regardless of who is out there. Our attendance has bottomed out, so don't worry about that. Better to aim towards realistically winning in a couple years by developing young guys than being silly and insulting fans by playing washed-up "names" as we've done the last decade.

You obviously have a case of dementia because everything you are looking for has taken place the past 10-12 years. They have not been developing young guys during that time but rushing them to the ML whenever they have a halfway decent year in AA ball.

A fan is much more likely to come see a team that is playing .500 with the kind of chemistry this team has. Let's hope together that the fans will return and that the additional revenue can be used to make this a team that competes for the title in 2010.

If you have watched his progress this season, you shouldn't even have to ask such a question. The strikeout thing is no small thing and his OPS for May was over 1.000.
How about answering my question. How does it harm Reimold to wait until he has hit AAA pitching with the same plate dicipline and then bring him up in Sept?

Archived