Are the Blue Jays Done?

Uli2001

7 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Justin Smoak and Kevin Pillar are enjoying a great start and Devon Travis has finally started hitting.  It's still crucial to them to keep Josh Donaldson and Troy Tulowitzski on the diamond and off the DL.

Their pitching staff is also beat up.

That said, three games under in late May, in the "two wild card" era... Not even close. This is a team to keep an eye on.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

That said, three games under in late May, in the "two wild card" era... Not even close. This is a team to keep an eye on.

True - zero teams in the AL are done as of right now.

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Outside of Stroman and Estrada their starting staff is extremely questionable, they're currently trotting out garbage like Mike Bolsinger although I can't say the O's starters have been that much better... They could be pretty dangerous if Happ and Sanchez return from injury but it's extremely unlikely they'll be able to return to their 2016 form. You're right about the two wildcard era statement though, still more than two thirds of the season to play, tons of time for anyone to catch up, except the Mariners  :P

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

At 23-26 and on a 5 game winning streak, one of the worst teams you've ever seen play baseball is now just 3 games behind the Orioles at 25-22.

If they get any worse, they'll pass us sometime next week.

And when they do, we'll be that worst team.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Mathematically, yes.    Just as it was hyperbole to suggest that the Jays were one of the worst teams you've ever seen play baseball, it would be just as poor to say that of the Orioles.   

I have to admit, the Jays weren't as done as I thought they were.    I really thought they looked like an overall lousy team when we played them.    I still have my doubts about them.    

Man, this is the second year in a row that some people on here were talking about the Jays being "done" in May. Happ's elbow injury was minor and is nearing the end of his rehab assignment with no setbacks thus far and Sanchez has a blood blister, nothing major. They are on their second five game winning streak of the month as well and are only three games under .500 now and that's without Happ. They are 5-0 since losing Sanchez to the DL a week ago.

Let's not forget that the Blue Jays have made it to the ALCS two years in a row and actually managed to win three games as well. That's much better than the Orioles have done. Toronto always seems to start slow, but always start stringing together lengthy winning streaks and before you know it, they're right back in the thick of things and headed to the postseason.

On 5/7/2017 at 11:40 AM, crowmst3k! said:

They lack the talent to go on some decent winning streaks to get back in the hunt.

Stick a fork in 'em, and look to their roster for trade fodder.

They are done. 

On 5/28/2017 at 0:22 PM, TouchemAll said:

The Orioles are during a wonderful impression of a Blue Jay...

Easier said than done.

They are all over the place here in WNC and frankly, I think they are fascinating birds

WARNING:  narrator is Canadian :P

28 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

26-28?  Not done.

I will no longer say they are done, but I'm highly skeptical they'll climb back in it.    FWIW (nothing), BP puts the Jays' playoff chances at 14.8% and ours at 14.2%.     Fangraphs has the Jays at 36.3% and us at 18.9%.     Putting aside the fact that both think the Jays' odds are better despite our 3-game advantage in the standings, certainly they don't think either team is "done."

• 3 weeks later...

o

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll (JUNE 19th)

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ******************

BALTIMORE ORIOLES llllllllllll.lllllllllllll.lllllllll...... (34-34)

TORONTO BLUE JAYS ll.).llllllllllll.llllllll.lllllll...... (33-35)

o

The Blue Jays are what their record says they are, a mediocre team.  Just like us.  If you took our offense and their pitching, you might have something.  But they lost EE, the heart of their offense, Bautista is done, and while Josh Donaldson is awesome when healthy, he's not healthy, hasn't been for a while, and gives no indication that he's going to be healthy in the immediate future.  They just aren't good enough, just like us.

• 2 weeks later...

We come into this three game series with a one game lead on the Blue Jays.    We're ahead of them because we've dominated the season series so far, winning 7 and losing 2.    Amazingly, our pitchers have a 2.28 ERA against the Jays.    Tonight's starter, Kevin Gausman, has made 3 starts against Toronto to a 2.60 ERA this year.   Let's hope that our uncanny success against them so far in 2017 continues to hold!

Archived