Why worry?

wildcard

9 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Every loss sucks.

I hated the game they lost against the Stankees when up and the score was 11-4.

Most fans are a 3 game losing streak away from firing Buck.  A 5 game losing streak away from either trading the entire farm for Player A, or trading Machado for prospects.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I guess I am more upset that the Capitals got bounced out of the playoffs, for another season, so this loss was just the sour icing on a terrible night.

I think the perspective here, the other side, is still paid to play and they are not going to just lay down and concede the game away.

Yep.  Also, we expect our team to fight, claw and come back from deficits.  It shouldn't be considered the end of the world when the same happens the other way (hopefully far less often).  One of the biggest examples of this IMO is when we expect our pitchers to work out of bases loaded jams with no runs, but then think it's absurd when we load the bases and don't put up a crooked number.  Don't get me wrong, I'd like us to score 30 runs a night and allow 0, but this perspective helps keep you from going crazy.  Just one man's opinion, of course.

I worry because by nature and nurture I am predisposed to do so.  Less philosophically, I worry because I think the quality of our starting pitching (not the actual results so far, but the talent) lags far behind other playoff caliber teams, and without Britton our bullpen seems much more vulnerable.  

I just finished watching this loss last night, and maybe its because I already knew it was going to happen, but

-besides the fact that Asher was pitching where Brach normally would have pitched and Brach was pitching where Britton normally should have pitched; I don't think either pitched particularly awful..

-Asher made one mistake that ended up a home run (he did strike out the side) and Brach didn't look like his dominating self, but made a couple mistakes to the heart of the order (and league leaders in obp) that ended up as base hits.

-Givens/Hart looked pretty good if not dominating the Nationals in this game.

-The Bullpen in general is going to give up runs at some point in high leverage situations. W or wo ZBritton.

-Oh, and MW definitely has our pitchers number. Every ball he hit seemed to be squared up and hit to where our fielders weren't. Did he even strike out in the 3 game series? And is he batting 8th in that order just to mess with bullpens anyway? Seems that he should be higher in the order with his avg/obp so far.

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's beat the Nats with Ubaldo vs Scherzer.  That was a steal for the O's.

This is an easy mistake. Every game matters. You can't, for example assume you lose every matchup with 5th starter. Doing so would mean losing 32 games a year. By the same token you also make it that much harder to get to say 90 wins. 

Its an attitude really, but part of why the Orioles are successful to date is that they refuse the exact mentality your comment indicates. I believe the Orioles have a chance to win every night. I think they do as well. They have no doubt won a few games they seemingly should not have. And the Nats game and the Yankee game are two that were lost after being in the grasp of victory. 

The Orioles continue to flummox the knowledgeable folks in baseball.  I think avoiding the very normal thought process like yours above is a big part of why. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Worried yet?

i'm certainly a little worried. The fact is, if we don't play well, we can lose to anyone. These are still MLB teams.

And don't look now, but the Jays are suddenly hot and can get right back in the hunt rather quickly with everyone else in the division treading water lately. I never counted them out, and anyone who did was a bit foolish and overzealous. 

1 hour ago, ChinMusic said:

i'm certainly a little worried. The fact is, if we don't play well, we can lose to anyone. These are still MLB teams.

And don't look now, but the Jays are suddenly hot and can get right back in the hunt rather quickly with everyone else in the division treading water lately. I never counted them out, and anyone who did was a bit foolish and overzealous. 

Who you calling "foolish" or "overzealous"?  I would call myself more "schadenfreudish"  and at 73 my zeal is very diminished.  But anyone who calls the Jays "in the hunt" is also being "foolish"  ;).  They are back baybee! :$

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Worried yet?

Not real worried. Many more things to worry about. The Orioles have not been a good road team even with the winning records over the years. Tiger Stadium used to be a little bigger ballpark but still might give the Orioles trouble.Jays have awoken. Twins so far are hanging around. Astros on the road might be tough.Rays are getting a little more healthy and are not terrible.Long season with ups and downs. Still Orioles 13-3 at home.

16 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Not real worried. Many more things to worry about. The Orioles have not been a good road team even with the winning records over the years. Tiger Stadium used to be a little bigger ballpark but still might give the Orioles trouble.Jays have awoken. Twins so far are hanging around. Astros on the road might be tough.Rays are getting a little more healthy and are not terrible.Long season with ups and downs. Still Orioles 13-3 at home.

My point simply was that we should worry about every team we face.    wildcard wasn't worried about the Royals -- well, they swept us, so I guess he should have been worried!    In terms of where the team is overall, I feel pretty good about it, though I'm a bit worried about the state of our bullpen.   

40 minutes ago, Natty said:

6 weeks into the season and we have 1 consistently good starting pitcher. What's there to worry about? 

Not to pick nits, but Miley has been consistently good all season thus far. The walks are problematic, but he has yet to give up more than 3 runs in any of his starts.

I'd say that's good. That gives us double the good starting pitchers that you think we have.

Archived