DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

On 6/4/2017 at 11:22 PM, Nevermore said:

"I haven't posted on Ubaldo for a while .  Just thinking about his Oriole future. He was brought in from the bullpen during the 8th inning of a 2- 1 game, not sure why, it0 was a high leverage situation.  He  gave up 2 runs, making the score. 4- 1.  (I had posted a long, involved edit but lost the entire text while recharging my phone. At any rate, this should be a slightly shorter version.) While Ubaldo was pitching, Orioles fans were raining boos all over him, and more boos as he walked off the mound at the end of the inning. Ubaldo is popular with his teammates.  I do not know Os management's view of him though he is still with the team .  Orioles fans mainly despise him and they let him know about it. This has been going on for almost 4 years.  Many Os fans have nothing personal against him. They say that he may be a nice guy, but he is a horrible pitcher and management should DFA him as soon as possible. There are some on Facebook and other forums who get a bit personal with methods of running him out of town. One poster on FB compared him with a battered wife who keeps returning to her husband. 

I do not know whether Ubaldo has ever asked for his release or has he ever asked to remain on the team. However I am beginning to wonder if the time had come for him to cut ties.  He wants to improve and he might do better in a city where the home fans don"t constantly scream for his head. He could receive the coaching he so desperately needs. "

This is complete crap imho.  I've rooted for Jubaldo for four years.  I've resisted all the DFA threads until now. No team has been more patient with an under performing player then the O's have been with Jubaldo. I root for him because he is a good guy.  I don't hate him as a person but I do hate his performance. Enough. We aren't good enough to absorb it any more. I wish him well but he should never pitch for us again.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brianod, I am confused.  I wrote a post where I gave my opinion that it is time for Ubaldo to move on to another team. And you say that my post is full of crap. I  don't get the idea that you believe that Orioles management should hold on to him rather than a DFA. I  did mention that most Orioles fans cannot stand his pitching and they let him know about it by loud booing. I  have witnessed this several times during his 4 years with the team. There was a long rancorous thread two years ago about whether or not some Orioles fans were unduly targeting him.  This thread got so heated that te mods closed  it. So I don't want to go back there. 

On 6/4/2017 at 11:24 AM, mdbdotcom said:

Like Bud Norris?

DFA'd in August. When less then 1/3rd of $8m contract was left. Cutting Ubaldo today would leave the Orioles roughly $8m to pay him and he'll sign for some team at pro-rated.. barely making $1m for rest of the reason so Orioles would be on the hook for about $7m

On 6/4/2017 at 11:26 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Ponson.

Ponson was a special case.. in which even the Orioles tried to use the moral clause to pay $0 to Ponson. Union filed a grievance for Ponson and the Orioles didn't actually pay until 2009.

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Edwin Jackson is coming up......hold my beer boys; our nightmare may finally be over 

Edwin Jackson is gonna be a bigger nightmare. Count on it. He got rocked last year, he's gonna get rocked at Camden and AL East stadiums.

1 hour ago, BradyBunch said:

Edwin Jackson is gonna be a bigger nightmare. Count on it. He got rocked last year, he's gonna get rocked at Camden and AL East stadiums.

Jackson is actually one of the few pitchers who's been even worse than Ubaldo over the last three years. His numbers are worse across the board.

Last three years (2014-Present)

Jackson- 5.55 ERA, 4.60 FIP, 4.52 xFIP, 4.54 SIERA, 1.53 WHIP, 70 ERA+

Ubaldo- 4.94 ERA, 4.49 FIP, 4.33 xFIP, 4.45 SIERA, 1.48 WHIP, 84 ERA+

The only argument for having Jackson over Ubaldo on the roster is that Jackson's numbers were pretty effective when he was used exclusively in relief a couple years ago. But then again, he put up terrible numbers out of the bullpen last year with the Marlins. 

5 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Jackson is actually one of the few pitchers who's been even worse than Ubaldo over the last three years. His numbers are worse across the board.

Last three years (2014-Present)

Jackson- 5.55 ERA, 4.60 FIP, 4.52 xFIP, 4.54 SIERA, 1.53 WHIP, 70 ERA+

Ubaldo- 4.94 ERA, 4.49 FIP, 4.33 xFIP, 4.45 SIERA, 1.48 WHIP, 84 ERA+

The only argument for having Jackson over Ubaldo on the roster is that Jackson's numbers were pretty effective when he was used exclusively in relief a couple years ago. But then again, he put up terrible numbers out of the bullpen last year with the Marlins. 

This strikes me as a tad misleading, although I'm sure these overall numbers are correct.   I would phrase it this way:

Jackson pitched extremely poorly in 2014 (as a starter), and then poorly again in 2016 in both pitching roles.  He had a strong 2015 campaign as a reliever.  His time with the Marlins last year was a relatively small sample size, although yes, his results were very poor.

Ubaldo has pitched various degrees of poorly every year since he's been here.

I think people are probably a little too optimistic about what Jackson can do for us............but I think it's definitely reasonable to give him a shot over Ubaldo.  Jackson has shown he can get outs at AAA at least, although his walk rate (10 in 20 IP) is pretty scary. 

So no, I don't think Jackson is here to save us, but I think he might be a slight upgrade over a guy who has struggled with us for 3.5 years, has no defined role of value, and also is already walking over 1 batter per 2 innings.

I see Ubaldo being traded before the draft.  The comp pick (2nd round) plus Ubldo gets rid of some or all the salary.  This gives the pen more flexibility and DD salary relief for trades in July.  DD loves both of those things.

• 4 weeks later...

o

As I stated in Jimenez' annual thread, he has pitched considerably better when he has had 5 or more days' rest for the last one-and-a-half seasons (2016-2017) than he has when he was on 4 days' rest.

That would appear to be a relatively large enough sample size to presume that that might not be a coincidence.

o

Archived