DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Ynoa has not been good at AAA.  His numbers are close to his.  I think he is option but not sure.  I think Buck likes Asher in the relief spot.

Asher has been great in MR. But starting is more valuable.  Verrett could step into that role. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The team is more important than any one individual.   This isn't the "Rescue Ubaldo's Career" team.   It's the "We want the best chance to win" team.   That means no Ubaldo in the rotation and no Ubaldo in the bullpen.    It will be a weight lifted off the rest of the team.   Whenever Ubaldo is in a game, even when he's pitching well (for Ubaldo), you are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

If I were the pitching coach on his next team, I would tell him to stop thinking he's a 5 pitch pitcher.   He can't command a single one of them.   For a guy who has trouble with command and release points it's comical that he attempts to throw a two seamer, 4 seamer, curveball, slider, and splitter.    I would treat him like a rookie and tell him to throw a 4 seamer and splitter and wouldn't even allow him to throw the other pitches.   Maybe he could figure a way to command two instead of not commanding 

My theory for what it's worth which is probably nothing. When Ubaldo first came to the team, he was losing his velocity. So he and his coaches figured that he should learn several different pitches to compensate. This isn't working as we can see. Whatever team he winds up - if any - he should concentrate on just 1 pitch. I remember when Bud Norris was relegated to the bullpen and later was let go. He wound up as a bullpen cog for the Braves,  then for the Dodgers, and now for the Angels. Maybe that sort of thing will be Ubaldo's fate. I do have a tendency to follow ex- Orioles such as Johnson, Norris, Cruz, Markakis, and others. So we'll see. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Asher has been great in MR. But starting is more valuable.  Verrett could step into that role. 

Asher has been in late inning spots a few times lately.  Verret has been goood here but he still has an ERA of 6 plus in AAA.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Asher has been better as a starter than Verrett.  Verrett is better in relief and starting.

Maybe I am off base but listening to post game I think he is done.  Buck was asked about him going to the pen and he turned the question around and said is that good for the pen?  

I think we may see up to 3 moves tomorrow. Just a feeling of finality tonight. The fact that after a 7 inning start Wilson being brought to back says it all.  

3 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

My theory for what it's worth, which is probably nothing. When Ubaldo first came to the team, he was losing his velocity. So he and his coaches figured that he should learn several different pitches to compensate. This isn't working as we can see. Whatever team he winds up - if any - he should concentrate on just 1 pitch. I remember when Bud Norris was relegated to the bullpen and later was let go. He wound up as a bullpen cog for the Braves,  then for the Dodgers, and now for the Angels. Maybe that sort of thing will be Ubaldo's fate. I do have a tendency to follow ex- Orioles such as Johnson, Norris, Cruz, Markakis, and others. So we'll see. 

Bud uses two pitches an one is 95 mph.  Ubaldo throws maybe 91 he doesn't have the stuff unless he has the control.  You can get away a bit if you throw hard enough.

11 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Ynoa has not been good at AAA.  His numbers are close to his.  I think he is option but not sure.  I think Buck likes Asher in the relief spot.

40 man Roster is at 38 with the DFA of Pena and Gentry.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe I am off base but listening to post game I think he is done.  Buck was asked about him going to the pen and he turned the question around and said is that good for the pen?  

I think we may see up to 3 moves tomorrow. Just a feeling of finality tonight. The fact that after a 7 inning start Wilson being brought to back says it all.  

Either that or he stays in rotation. I don't think the pen is option though with its struggles.

This is the final year of his contract. I think economically there is a real chance is is finally done here.   We can cut bait and not have to worry about the lost money.   

Or management can choose to run him out there and hurt the team every five days.... 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Ubaldo to the pen,  Asher to the rotation. 

winner, winner, chicken dinner! Is Ubaldo worse then the "bulldog" Wilson? Right now, I'd put him as the last man in the pen, capable of throwing long relief when a starter gets hammered. About the best thing I can say for him is that he can save some prospects who aren't ready some embarrassment and he can eat innings when it doesn't matter. That's worth the last spot on the bench unless someone else can name a minor league player who is guaranteed to be better. I'd rather Ubaldo get hammered then a young guy that isn't ready. I do agree that he should never start for the O's again unless there are injuries.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Give me a break.   He did some of his best work last September.   Doesn't mean he'll do the same this year.    You are the same guy who said he got off to terrible starts every year and that he shouldn't start until June or whatever.   Then he got off to the great start in 2014.    There is no script with Ubaldo.   You can't count on when he'll stink and when he might have a month of good starts.    He might not have any good stretch this year.     Time to send a message to the rest of the team.   We won't carry someone who stinks and sabotage the chances for the rest of the team, just because they guy is owed a lot of money. 

There is a black cloud following Ubaldo around.   Bye bye!

I agree.  The only thing you can count on from Ubaldo is to get hammered while throwing the occasional good game.  He is the proverbial blind squirrel. But, he never gets hurt and he can eat innings when it doesn't matter. Better then calling up guys that aren't ready and hurting their careers. I keep him as the last guy in the pen for that reason.  He never starts again unless there are injuries.

Dear Ubaldo, 

Get_Out-1-220x150.jpg

Seriously though enough is enough, he is a sunk cost, it's time to put him and us out of our misery.

If Buck really doesn't have the stones to DFA him, maybe he is the manager everyone says he is (aka a guy to stuck in his ways and old school to win it all).

I really am starting to wonder because games like tonight aren't even remotely good enough.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sorry, but if we are down 6-3 or it's a 5-5 game in the 3rd inning, the long innings do matter and I don't need Ubaldo helping to make it worse.   We have Verrett, Aquino, Castro, Kipper, Bleier, Hart, and maybe Kipper.     Most of those guys already have ML experience.   I would rather see a young pitcher gettting experience even if it's getting bombed than watch a washed up veteran who can't throw strikes.    There are very few instances when IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Most of those guys have earned an opportunity.   Ubaldo has earned a release.

I hear you.  It wouldn't upset me either way. What we can agree on is that he shouldn't start again.

Archived